Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2013, 9:51 pm

I wouldn't say that I am particularly good in any of these, but I have taught myself bits and pieces of them:
-Autohotkey
-Visual Basic
-C-shell
-Bash
-Awk
-Perl
-Matlab
-FISH

I am also at least able to decipher how a Fortran or C++ code works.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 7:44 pm

Actual programming languages I've used...
C, C++, Fortran, Java, Basic.

High level computational environments...
Matlab, Scilab.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 8:09 pm

ruveyn wrote:
LISP anyone? Fortran? Jovial? Pascal? COBOL (! !! !! !!) Am I the last surviving programmer from Atlantis?

Weather and climate models are all written in Fortran. Some of the code I had to hack into and edit in graduate school was nightmarish. 5000 line files, cryptic variable names, masses of commented out lines, and weird lines that seemed to do absolutely nothing. But anyways, Fortran is still widely used by computational modelers. Scientists don't do object oriented.

Last edited by marshall on 07 Apr 2013, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 8:11 pm

Mathematica.

The folowing is probably not considered a programing language, since it doesn't create computable functions, but it involves comands to construct mathematical notation. I'm refering, of course, to LaTeX.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 8:15 pm

ModusPonens wrote:
Mathematica.

The folowing is probably not considered a programing language, since it doesn't create computable functions, but it involves comands to construct mathematical notation. I'm refering, of course, to LaTeX.

Oh yea. I wrote my thesis in LaTeX. Pretty in the end but a real pain in the butt. One time I spent an entire week just trying to get a specific table to look right.

Adamantius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2013, 8:24 pm

I'm new to programming. Right now, I'm learning Python then SciPy and NumPy. I just finished a Command Line course to use Terminal on the Mac.

PurpleMe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2013, 11:32 am

Took C in college way back in the 90s. (Before that, did some Visual Basic at a summer program in high school and hated it.) Currently working on Python, HTML, and SQL. Play around with R sometimes for statistical stuff.

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2013, 11:36 pm

I try to learn C++ so yeah somes C++

Moridin8
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2013, 11:49 pm

C#
C++
Java
TSQL
PLSQL
Assembler
Visual basic (5,6,7,8,9,10)
F#
Php
JavaScript
Typescript
Xslt
Delphi

Autistic/BAP : 118 aloof, 90 rigid and 83 pragmatic
EQSQ: 16/87 Extreme Systemizing

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2013, 8:00 pm

They taught us Java back when I was in college.

I had to use C, Python, MATLAB, Mathematica, Maple, and FORTRAN in some form or another in school, although that doesn't mean I can actually code in these. I'm trying to do Project Euler in Python now to re-learn programming.

Ferrus91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2013, 11:56 am

one-A-N wrote:
A dialect of Basic on CP/M, SAS, B, C, C++, Objective C, Pascal, Fortran IV, PL/I, Java, Javascript, PHP, PL/pgSQL, Visual Basic (v3-4), Perl, x86 Assembly Language, Tcl/Tk, PL/M, bash shell language, and one or two languages that I made up and wrote a simple compiler for
Did you use YACC or did you just writer the parsing algorithms yourself?

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 6:39 am

marshall wrote:
Actual programming languages I've used...
C, C++, Fortran, Java, Basic.

High level computational environments...
Matlab, Scilab.

Ha, I forgot, I was taught MatLab in my first Degree year! We don't use it from now on in software engineering, and I much prefer python and sagemath :)

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 6:41 am

PurpleMe wrote:
Took C in college way back in the 90s. (Before that, did some Visual Basic at a summer program in high school and hated it.) Currently working on Python, HTML, and SQL. Play around with R sometimes for statistical stuff.

Have done some R too for an assignment due on monday, find R useful but extremely clunky.

I also took C in the mid 90's. What I learned most was how to comment good, and a few tricks to avoid logic errors from typing mistakes. Plus a few ways to improve efficiency :)

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2013, 9:17 am

Did some Basic way back in the 80s when I was a kid copying code out of the back of computer magazines into my VIC 20 & Com 64. Just took two semesters of Visual Basic, will be learning SQL starting in a couple weeks. We just got a new technology dean who changed the degree requirements from Visual Basic to Python. I'm grandfathered in on the Visual Basic but I'm considering taking the Python classes anyway. There is also a Java course offered. I'm not sure if I should take that too or if they're all similar enough that I could figure it out fairly quickly.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 12:20 pm

ruveyn wrote:
For those of you addicted to Object Oriented languages I have not heard a peep about Small Talk, the grand daddy of the Object Oriented languages. Nor have I seen hide nor hair of Algol, ADA, Snobol or PL-1 around here. That is what happens when one is a pre-historic programmer or, if you will, a cave-programmer. An algorithmic Neanderthal.

LISP anyone? Fortran? Jovial? Pascal? COBOL (! !! !! !!) Am I the last surviving programmer from Atlantis?

Here is a list of them all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pr ... _languages

I did some COBOL once and I had to learn it in college. I have heard of Fortran, Algol and LISP but never programmed those.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 1:55 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
For those of you addicted to Object Oriented languages I have not heard a peep about Small Talk, the grand daddy of the Object Oriented languages. Nor have I seen hide nor hair of Algol, ADA, Snobol or PL-1 around here. That is what happens when one is a pre-historic programmer or, if you will, a cave-programmer. An algorithmic Neanderthal.

Here is a list of them all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pr ... _languages

I did some COBOL once and I had to learn it in college. I have heard of Fortran, Algol and LISP but never programmed those.

I did mention Smalltalk, but I just realized I forgot ADA (took a whole semester advanced course on it) and even Simula-67 which we used in sophmore comp. sci.