What is/are your preferred Unix/Linux filesystems?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 8:19 am

I use ext4 most often, but have used and enjoyed ZFS on Linux. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a native ZFS filesystem using the zfs-native/stable and zfs-native/grub PPAs. I think it might also be possible to install Debian on a native ZFS root filesystem if you install via debootstrap. You just have to compile the ZFS packages yourself once you enter chroot environment. You would need a separate /boot partition formatted as ext3 and assigned a 'Solaris Boot' disk label, and also zfs-compatible grub. I've been meaning to try BTRFS.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2013, 10:52 am

Currently use ext4 for '/' and ext3 for '/home' , due to the fact that when I set my system up I was still under the impression that Linux Kernels from 3.4 onwards to current still had the bug in them that would corrupt data on an ext4 FS. I also have a couple of outboard drives that use NTFS for interoperability with Windows systems.

In the past I've used ReiserFS, but considering the fact that the chief developer of that FS is serving a life sentence for murdering his wife development of that FS format seems to have slowed a bit. I'd like to use BtrFS at some point, but I still question the stability of it as of now.

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Apr 2013, 4:15 pm

For my main Gentoo installation I am using EXT4 for the / partition and I have never had an issue with any kernel bugs corrupting data, I think it was just speculation. For the other Gentoo installation I am using EXT2 for /boot and BTRFS /. On my FreeBSD installation I am using ZFS for /, because UFS2 is really really crap.

beers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2013, 9:19 am

I used reiser for a while until I discovered the main guy was a murderer as well, lol. That and it's been decreasing in performance over time, which seems suspicious, also as has been stated.

Now I don't really mind and just use ext4 on everything.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 9:58 am

beers wrote:
I used reiser for a while until I discovered the main guy was a murderer as well, lol. That and it's been decreasing in performance over time, which seems suspicious, also as has been stated.

Now I don't really mind and just use ext4 on everything.

It's not really the fact that it's been decreasing in performance over time, so much as the fact that ReiserFS development has essentially been rendered static due to the fact that the primary developer is no longer able to develop it further.

In the time that Hans Reiser has been incarcerated, ext4, and BtrFS have come to the forefront, and have performance equal to, or better than ResierFS.

When ReiserFS came out in 2K1, ext3FS was still in very late beta, and XFS had only recently been GPL'ed by SGI.

UrchinStar47
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2013, 11:31 am

XFS works fine, even if it's slow when it comes to making and deleting files.

sixteenornumber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2013, 4:04 pm

currently using ext4 for everything. I has multiple raids (all in zero) with both SSDs and HDDs, I've tried btrfs with no measurable difference. ext4 seems like the standard so I stick with that.