Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2007, 2:13 pm

Hi,

I need to know if we can see a big difference of speed between a iMac G3 600 Mhz (512 Mo)
and a Power Macintosh G4 AGP 450 Mhz with 640 Mo.

Applications will be Photoshop and Dreamweaver with OS X 10.5

Thank you !

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 3:08 pm

They both suck.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 4:28 pm

Well, if you aren't going to upgrade to Intel, I would go with the G4, simply because it doesn't look like Leopard (10.5) is going to be released with G3 support.

The G4 has an improved FPU (Floating point (operation) unit) and the addition of ALTIVEC. Altivec is where the G4 sees its performance increase over the G3 and other processors at the same clockspeed. Altivec can be used to accelerate many things such as voice reconigtion and compression. A G4 @500Mhz running an altivec enabled app like photoshop or Final Cut Pro will cream a G3@500Mhz. Why? It's taking larger chunks of data and processing it in the altivec unit of the processor which the G3 lacks.

So while your G3 has a faster processor, the G4 uses the processor more efficiently.

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2007, 4:51 pm

dexkaden wrote:
Well, if you aren't going to upgrade to Intel, I would go with the G4, simply because it doesn't look like Leopard (10.5) is going to be released with G3 support.

That's why somebody want to buy my G4 cause he can't install OS X 10.5 on his G3.

One of the biggest reason that I don't use Mac is because I can't use more than 1 OS at the same time.

I read that VMWare did a version for Mac, but it's too late I got a Core2Duo now.

Have you heard talk about VMWare preformance and stabilities on a Mac-Intel ?

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 5:35 pm

Dude. He can't install 10.5 because it isn't released yet. He should be able to run 10.4 on the G4.

And I am confused by what you mean when you can't use more than one OS at a time. You can install XP Service Pack 2 and run bootcamp or parallels on an Intel Mac now.

But seriously, 10.5 isn't released yet--we're still on Tiger (10.4.)

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2007, 5:59 pm

dexkaden wrote:
Dude. He can't install 10.5 because it isn't released yet.

I know, officialy it is not release, but from what he told me he got something like a beta version somewhere (I don't know if it's true) ...

dexkaden wrote:
And I am confused by what you mean when you can't use more than one OS at a time.

If Parallels is like VMWare, once your into OS X you can start a virtual computer with a real OS (Windows, Linux, X BSD ...)

You can listen to your MP3 into OS X and at the same time your into Windows doing Internet and at the same time you can have another virtual computer with Linux Debian as a server.

You can jump from one session to another like you want.

Sorry, I'm not to good to give explanation.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 6:02 pm

Yeah parallels is a virtual desktop.