Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ibookfan92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2014, 11:21 pm

Well, to be quite honest, in the old versions of Windows, IE could be taken out, but now, it's integrated into the software, and it really can't be taken out without brute action. You could, however, go to Program Files as an Administrator and delete Internet Explorer, after you open Default Programs (under Add/Remove on XP) and set your favorite browser as your default. This should at least change all the shortcuts and file associations to what you want and somewhat removes IE.

But, really... why not get a better operating system? Linux Mint is great for Windows switchers, and you can run Firefox, Opera, or Chrome after installing it.

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Dec 2014, 9:32 pm

I actually use IE to download Firefox several times a year, just like the memes say.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 9:05 pm

I use Linux, and I can get by just fine without Internet Explorer. :P

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 3:04 pm

I myself hardly use it, never tried the method of removing it (go to programs and features, then click on change/remove windows components)

even though it's NOT really connected with your network interface card (matter it be wireless or ethernet) if you have an older computer, its worth a trial shot to see if you can get on WITHOUT IE being installed on the machine,

as for "internet imploder" I have heard those terms, hehe, my reason for staying away, 2 reasons, its SLOWER then Firefox and also, I prefer to be able to adapt it to how I want to see it (features) and add-ons (adblock, themes, other add on's)

IE, too "rigid" cant change much accept maybe color of the tabs..... I don't use it unless no other option and have to,

-Jess

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 3:20 pm

ibookfan92 wrote:
Well, to be quite honest, in the old versions of Windows, IE could be taken out, but now, it's integrated into the software, and it really can't be taken out without brute action. You could, however, go to Program Files as an Administrator and delete Internet Explorer, after you open Default Programs (under Add/Remove on XP) and set your favorite browser as your default. This should at least change all the shortcuts and file associations to what you want and somewhat removes IE.

But, really... why not get a better operating system? Linux Mint is great for Windows switchers, and you can run Firefox, Opera, or Chrome after installing it.

I'd like a better OS...but I'd probably have to come up with some money to get a new OS on my computer, or get a new computer with a different OS if they have that. Or can you get a computer with no OS and just put one on it?....Either way I'd have to save up a bit of money I imagine as it might be out of my typical budget. But yeah if its not windows or apple than I'd be happy lol.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2014, 3:47 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I'd like a better OS...but I'd probably have to come up with some money to get a new OS on my computer, or get a new computer with a different OS if they have that. Or can you get a computer with no OS and just put one on it?....Either way I'd have to save up a bit of money I imagine as it might be out of my typical budget. But yeah if its not windows or apple than I'd be happy lol.

I avoid IE by using CCleaner https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download which, under its Tools tab, allows me to turnoff the launch of IE at Start Up. My IE then just sits in the background bothering no one.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)