Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

matt
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 5:14 am

First, I'll point out that I have color-deficient vision, which means that my color vision is different than other people's(and not that I don't see color), so that could cause or exacerbate the problem; I think that since my eyes had a tendency to misidentify colors, any time I would say that I thought something was one color, other people would say that it was a different color, so although I can look at things and say that I think they are some particular colors, my brain never learned to categorize things by color. It's just not something my brain thinks of when thinking up how to categorize things.

I'm capable of using Linux-based operating systems, Macs, Windows, Android, and iOS. I can actually administer each, and can write apps/programs for them, but I have always had problems understanding the semantics of icons in computer interfaces. I can stare at icons for a long time and not understand the meanings behind them. This has been a problem in Microsoft apps, particularly after they got rid of menus in Microsoft Office and in most of Windows. This has been even more difficult when using smartphones, because iPhones and Android devices use so many icon-driven interfaces instead of text menus or icons + text menus(and icons + text menus seem beneficial to me). When I am looking for a particular icon I can look at even just a few icons, like 2-4, and not be able to identify which icon I want. It's only the text which allows me to locate the icons I'm looking for. I get really frustrated sometimes looking at a screen full of icons that have no meaning to me other than the picture that's on them.

I was wondering if anyone else here understands what I'm describing and relates to it?

adriantesq
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2014, 10:14 am

I'm with you on this Matt - I have to keep up with new information and communication as I'm now a writer and publisher rather than engineer as I used to be - and upgraded to Windows 8 a year last February and still cant remember what the icons mean - intuitive be buggered - and its getting the same way with everything - even dietary information on corn flakes packets - I used to say to the missus I wish we could buy a little island somewhere and escape from this goddam cuckoo's nest - and now I wish we had

adriantesq - Born 1945, diagnosed as Savant 1949, Autist 1950, Unfulfilled musical genius 1953, Autistic Psychopath 1960, Aspie 1994, appointed as the County Surveyors Society Chief Instructor Suicide Avoidance and Prevention in 1995, became Amazon Best Selling Author in Biographies and Memoirs of Childhood Autism and Asperger's Syndrome 2014, and Ambassador for Autie and Aspie Students of Energime University 2016.

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2014, 1:32 pm

I think they dumbed them down to try to make them multilingual, but made it so nobody can understand them.