Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2014, 1:56 pm

Number theory, finite fields, and elliptic curves, and their application to cryptography and coding theory.

Stochastic processes and their application to mathematical finance.

Game theory

Graph theory

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 2:54 pm

Mine was differential geometry and topology.

It's been so long since I really did much in math that I have forgotten so much of it that I wonder if it would even be possible to even think of getting back into it.

Krakken
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2014, 4:18 pm

DRzero wrote:
Number theory, finite fields, and elliptic curves, and their application to cryptography and coding theory.

Stochastic processes and their application to mathematical finance.

Game theory

Graph theory

We have similar interests.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2014, 8:36 pm

Algebra, arithmetic, calculus, geometry

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 12:34 pm

These are my top 5 favourite subjects in maths

5: Precalculus

3 years ago I had lots of fun self-teaching myself precalculus. Whenever I see my old pre-calculus notes I feel nostalgic.
I don't really enjoy doing the problems, I enjoyed the experience which makes it number 5.

4: Calculus

3: Competition Maths

2: Real and Complex Analysis

1: Number Theory

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 12:41 pm

Differentialform wrote:
I am not a mathematician, so I don't have a good overview over all fields of mathematics.
But I find complex analysis and the differential forms approach to multivariable calculus particulary beautiful.

There is an excellent lecture course by Theodore Shifrin covering multivariable calculus and differential forms:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp9W-et2Zbx7u5_VMiXGtPQ

What kind of mathematics do you like?

I shall watch those lecture videos some time.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 12:52 pm

Rudin wrote:

What is Competition Maths?

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 2:19 pm

eric76 wrote:
Rudin wrote:

What is Competition Maths?

I am talking about mathematical olympiads in particular such as the International Mathematical Olympiad.

In mathematical olympiads students (usually 18 or younger) attempt to solve very difficult precalculus problems. These problems cannot be solved using traditional methods so one must have knowledge of projective geometry, complex geometry, functional equations and number theory.

Students are not required to know calculus but it does make certain problems easier.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

05 Dec 2015, 5:01 pm

Combinatorics, probability theory and computer algorithms from Donald Knuth

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 7:03 pm

Differential Equations looks like it'll help bridge the gap between a real-world situation and a mathematical equation.

Probability is like a giant blind-spot for me, I haven't even taken statistics. The sequences and series part of calc ||| was disorienting.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 7:24 pm

MDD123 wrote:
Differential Equations looks like it'll help bridge the gap between a real-world situation and a mathematical equation.

Probability is like a giant blind-spot for me, I haven't even taken statistics. The sequences and series part of calc ||| was disorienting.

If you like Maths at all(which u obviously do), you'll find Stats easy :mrgreen:

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 5:34 am

MDD123 wrote:

I understand. For me, probability theory conforms to my world view. I am agnostic. Without substantial proof, there is no correct answer, only a good guess.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 8:58 pm

Here is a link to a series of lectures on complex analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcypKcC ... 0GouL3-hd2

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 12:34 pm

Theres a 300-level engineering statistics course somewhere in the future. I'm willing to bet they do more things with math that I hadn't imagined.

I think the problem I had with probability is the same problem I've had anywhere else, it's just plugging the math into the situation. Combinatoric math isn't too tricky, just have to remember that 0!=1 and the rest is algebra intuition.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 5:38 am

MDD123 wrote:
Theres a 300-level engineering statistics course somewhere in the future. I'm willing to bet they do more things with math that I hadn't imagined.

I think the problem I had with probability is the same problem I've had anywhere else, it's just plugging the math into the situation. Combinatoric math isn't too tricky, just have to remember that 0!=1 and the rest is algebra intuition.

Good luck with your studies, learning new things is great fun. I especially enjoy applying mathematics to everyday situations. Packing my groceries at the store is a fun challenge. Math and programming go hand in hand.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2015, 10:34 pm

dynamics / chaos theory