Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 4:24 pm

I'm from Poland.

My two childhood best friends, went to look for work abroad, one went to Great Britain, the second to Norway. Thanks Facebook but also Skype, has constant contact with them as if they never left our home city of Wroclaw, if I had not suffered from Asperger's syndrome, also I would emigrate to Great Britain(like on of my friend), the United States, Canada or Australia, especially the latter country attracts me these beautiful beach, ocean, coral reefs :-)
You can always dream, it's free :-)
I chose these countries because I know the language, more or less: D
English is the only language I know, but I also know little, very little, although the level of German language proficiency is my embarrassing, very embarrassing :D

But a little deviated from the topic. The question is whether you like social media?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 4:37 pm

^ From your perspective it is great for keeping in touch with family. Personally I detest facebook. I used to have an account there but like many other people ended up accepting friend requests from too many people who I didn't really know and in the end my "wall" was just full of strangers rubbish.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 4:57 pm

TallyMan wrote:
^ From your perspective it is great for keeping in touch with family. Personally I detest facebook. I used to have an account there but like many other people ended up accepting friend requests from too many people who I didn't really know and in the end my "wall" was just full of strangers rubbish.

Unfortunately, it's true :( I also happened to take a few invitation from people on Facebook whom I hardly know, or do not know at all. Now do not do that, once I did it, not to make someone upset. Now I have probably 20 friends on Facebook, half of whom I know personally, I know that other people have more, but now counts for me is not the quantity but the quality

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 5:32 pm

A totally blank FB page with an alias for a name is cool just so you can see other people's pages that are set to be viewable to anybody.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 10:56 pm

I like WP better. :)

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 12:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
I like WP better. :)

You mean Wirtulna Polska (WP) http://www.wp.pl/ :D
I'm joking of course :)

I like WrongPlanet.net more than FB
Almost every day I spend here, but here I can meet people with my (which is quite high) or a higher level of intelligence.

Then my mom yells at me that I should shave, eat breakfast and prepare for classes at the university, (the first lecture I have at 9:00) and do not browse the internet from the morning :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 1:03 am

mama is right.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 4:47 pm

TallyMan wrote:

I think over 90% of my FB wall is Buddhist related teachings, photos and I have a few friends who are Zen monks who post bits of insight and interesting links.

Borden88
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2014, 4:09 am

I awys have it opened on the first tab, but I don't ue it a lot, except check for updates, messages from my Sister and parents.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 4:13 am

khaoz wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

I think over 90% of my FB wall is Buddhist related teachings, photos and I have a few friends who are Zen monks who post bits of insight and interesting links.

That sounds useful. I'm tempted to try FB for that. Do you use your real name? I hate using my real name on the internet; in fact I never ever use it on any forums and would be unlikely to use it on FB too.

Borden88
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2014, 4:26 am

I don't lie using my name, but I just can't come up iwht a good username. Usernames isn't one of my best.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 4:39 am

the FB username I chose had already been chosen by 967 other people, so I have a stupid "967" after my name. makes me sound like a model of appliance or robot or something. :hmph:

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 4:59 am

auntblabby wrote:
the FB username I chose had already been chosen by 967 other people, so I have a stupid "967" after my name. makes me sound like a model of appliance or robot or something. :hmph:

Are you still under the manufacturer's warranty? :P

Sorry. Your post cracked me up.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 8:14 am

I deleted my Facebook account yesterday, I had 4 friends only 3 of whom I have ever met.
They were people I knew 20+ years ago so have little in common with them now. :lol:

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 8:44 am

As long as you don't accept a lot of friend requests from people you don't know or people you don't like, Facebook is not so bad. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 11:41 pm

TallyMan wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Are you still under the manufacturer's warranty? :P Sorry. Your post cracked me up.

:)