Artificial Superintelligence by 2040? Seriously scary stuff!

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 5:07 pm

A very good write-up about artificial superintelligence:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificia ... ion-1.html

It's pretty long, but well worth the read. What makes it really scary is that this isn't some baseless speculation like "we should have flying cars by 2100", it's simply extrapolation from current trends. It's not a matter of if super-intelligent AI will exist, it's only a matter of when. And it's absolutely impossible to predict what the effect will be, but I agree with the article that it will be massive!

Of course, nobody knows exactly when it will happen, but it seems likely to be in the lifetimes of most of us here. (That's the other scary part, by the way!)

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2015, 12:32 am

Our tools are advancing but our psyche is not.

We have not advanced in applying philosophy to our daily lives.

I would argue that our Philosophy has advanced along with our understanding of such disciplines as evolutionary/social psychology, neuroscience, etc... BUT and this is a HUGE BUT....

The masses of humanity do not live self examined lives which have at the center critical thinking and the wisdom of the conscientious application of sound philosophical principles.

The masses continue to live easily lead and easily deceived lives soaked in mediocrity and banal desires.

Our situation is hopeless.

Either AI, esp. Strong AI, will serve the PTB or it will serve itself(assuming strong AI can exist...which is unknowable at this point).

Imagine if Strong AI serves the PTB......it will give them Absolute POWER.

If it serves itself....what will it do to us...?!?!?!?

Unless it becomes a omnibenevolent electronic god...we are utterly fvcked :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 4:43 pm

Damn, why can't this scary stuff happen by the time I'm old and dead? God please help us.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 4:53 pm

Someone go warn Sarah Connors.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 12:01 pm

slave wrote:

I would argue that our Philosophy has advanced along with our understanding of such disciplines as evolutionary/social psychology, neuroscience, etc... BUT and this is a HUGE BUT....

The masses of humanity do not live self examined lives which have at the center critical thinking and the wisdom of the conscientious application of sound philosophical principles.

The masses continue to live easily lead and easily deceived lives soaked in mediocrity and banal desires.

Either AI, esp. Strong AI, will serve the PTB or it will serve itself(assuming strong AI can exist...which is unknowable at this point).

Unless it becomes a omnibenevolent electronic god...we are utterly fvcked :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

I want to live in the Culture!
http://www.vavatch.co.uk/books/banks/cultnote.htm

Maybe we are the civilization that gets the culture started with our AI and AI assisted exploration? Why not. If we write the original code, we can put in the right imperatives. Why shouldn't we then be the pets of our hyperintelligent digital progeny?

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... obots-pets

slave
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 12:01 am

Adamantium wrote:
slave wrote:

I want to live in the Culture!
http://www.vavatch.co.uk/books/banks/cultnote.htm

Maybe we are the civilization that gets the culture started with our AI and AI assisted exploration? Why not. If we write the original code, we can put in the right imperatives. Why shouldn't we then be the pets of our hyperintelligent digital progeny?

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... obots-pets

We face the greatest possible release of our potential....will it be our positive potential OR our negative potential.

We already can meet all basic human needs with STEM and yet poverty is the norm.

Will we survive through the approach of exponential tech.....?

idk

aenomalus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2015, 12:10 am

I'm worried about neurotypical-ran organizations trying to enslave it when it is 'young' and pissing it off.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 12:14 am

aenomalus wrote:
I'm worried about neurotypical-ran organizations trying to enslave it when it is 'young' and pissing it off.

LMFAO!! !!

brilliant!

me 2 actually

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 12:50 am

Some Artificial Super-Intelligence may have already produced this Universe. Something akin to a Game-Server. Like on some sort of Multi-Player MMORPG. Except in Quantum-Format. This Material-Universe being run by an enormously massive Quantum Computer-System.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

31 Jul 2015, 12:54 am

I have a hard time seeing how mankind survives in the long run, we will destroy ourselves and what will survive is machines.

aenomalus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2015, 3:25 am

Multiverse theory reminds me of a postsingularity virtuality. Kind of like a mix of a historical re-enactment that could do a what-if and diverge at any point.

Given the exploitist mindset of most humans, cheap cost effective open-to-all intelligence augmentation would reduce the probability of pissing it off.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 11:06 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Some Artificial Super-Intelligence may have already produced this Universe. Something akin to a Game-Server. Like on some sort of Multi-Player MMORPG. Except in Quantum-Format. This Material-Universe being run by an enormously massive Quantum Computer-System.

There are many leading Theoreticians saying just that.

Some suggest that the Universe is a holographic projection of what is, in fact, a 2D surface.

f**k if I know :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

I love reading about it all, just the same. :D

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 9:16 pm

FMX wrote:
A very good write-up about artificial superintelligence:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificia ... ion-1.html

It's pretty long, but well worth the read. What makes it really scary is that this isn't some baseless speculation like "we should have flying cars by 2100", it's simply extrapolation from current trends. It's not a matter of if super-intelligent AI will exist, it's only a matter of when. And it's absolutely impossible to predict what the effect will be, but I agree with the article that it will be massive!

Of course, nobody knows exactly when it will happen, but it seems likely to be in the lifetimes of most of us here. (That's the other scary part, by the way!)

Believed when seen. Kurzweil is a bit of a crackpot when it comes to predicting new technology.

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 6:43 am

Very, very interesting. The same idea comes if we are thinking about meta-evolution, the evolution of evolution; it really happens. I believe, though, that the function describing the phenomena is even more astonishing then a simple exponencial, and is a succession of it, like e^a1t , from 0 to t1 , than e^a2t , from t1 to t2 , and so on. Evolutive steps, once extremely slow, are being now surpassed very fast causing an accumulation point, a single moment in which many evolutive steps will be transposed.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 7:00 am

subjective desire is something that will never be an element in artificial intelligence, and as such, artificial intelligence is doomed to stagnation unless stewarded by the desires of a carnal sentience.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 7:19 am

ruveyn wrote:
Believed when seen. Kurzweil is a bit of a crackpot when it comes to predicting new technology.

Crackpot? You're being too kind.