Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2015, 2:15 pm

Out of curiosity are there any other Python programmers here?

I don't talk to any programmers online or offline, I'm pretty much happy alone. But, I would like to start connecting with fellow aspies who have similar interests. And it'd help if you also enjoy chess, because I love chess.

I'm a bit of a wanderer in terms of programming. I do the odd bits to make a bit of an income, and the rest of the time I'm noodling with various packages, or learning something new in the art of programming. I do program in other languages (C, PHP, Bash scripting), but I use Python a lot more recently.

I also do a lot of personal security testing. I'm currently working on a 802.11 fuzzer, fuzzing various packet types and monitoring the responses. And if I can exploit a buffer overflow ... additional fun :) Having to use raw sockets has been a bit of a learning curve, but enjoyable :)

I'm rambling, and anyone not into programming is probably scratching their heads.

PM me your Skype if you'd like :)

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2015, 6:31 am

I program with Python on a non-professional hobby level. Some examples of programs I have developed include but are not limited to: simple card games, flashlight apps (screen or LED for phone), battery temperature monitor, guitar tuner, GUI zip code & area code lookup, leveling program utilizing accelerometer, etc.

I'm in the process of learning Java now :)

I'd be happy to converse with you on anything Python related......just shoot me a PM :)

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 1:21 pm

I've just recently started programming in Python. I'm using it for work, doing some automated testing. Not really sure how I feel about it yet. But it does has its uses for quickly setting up a test like I do at work.

I consider my main language to be C++, though. And I mostly use C# at work. But I'm having a lot of fun writing these simple tests in Python.

TwoBeard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jun 2015, 3:37 am

I'm not hardcore by any means, but I have been using Python on and off for the past 2 years or so. Right now I'm working on scripting out a basic workflow for my wife's online store to generate sales reports and figure out breakpoints for re-ordering products to take the guesswork and stress out of it. Nothing major and I should probably have finished by now, but work and other things get in the way. I like it a lot! What do you do with it? I'm a big fan of Twisted and scrapy as concepts but never have done a project using either one of them. If I had time to work on something for fun, I would probably make a few Twitter bots.

Oculus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2015, 10:45 pm

Another python programmer, here. My previous two employers paid me to write python, but right now I'm writing C for a living.

Python is an extremely powerful, flexible language. By "powerful" I mean a little programming effort can produce tremendous effect.

C is the opposite way around -- it takes a lot of effort to implement anything. The advantage to C is very little run-time overhead. My rule of thumb is that a C program will use about 1/20th the memory and run 50x faster than a logically equivalent python program, but will take about 10x as many lines of code. In reality there is a lot of variation on those ratios.

When I have the option of developing in python, I will develop in python first, and then reprogram the "critical path" only if it needs optimization. Usually it does not.

JJabb
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2015, 9:08 pm

I have been goofing around with python for a couple years.. still a novice though. And I LOVE chess.

unknownfactor
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2015, 2:43 pm

You too? My own tendency to enjoy Python non-socially worries me. My own Python is at a somewhat higher level in the zone of Flask and SQL Alchemy. Sockets are one of those things that I've picked up and dropped a few times so far. My own security knowledge is a little higher level.

My own security biases are towards the easier lines of defense. UFW setup, Fail2Ban, proper parameter binding to SQL queries, further securing of SSH connections, and other stuff like that. Fuzzers and stackoverflow aren't things in my current skill set. Maybe someday.

Chess is a pretty good game and I've taken my beatings in it gracefully. It's been a few years since I played.

I don't consider your post to be rambling. You do seem to be more at ease and relaxed about being a "wanderer". Not a bad quality to have. Mind if I borrow it for awhile? :wink:

scyphozoa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2015, 5:29 am

Another Python fan here. I do a lot in C also. You can be very productive in Python. I do find myself gravitating back to C always though because it feels more solid and I can build components that are not throwaway bits as the Python feels.

What do you all think about Python 2 vs 3? Seems quite a mess up yeah?

Darkfairy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2015, 3:25 am

I write Python professionally and as a hobby. It's one of my favourite languages. I've heard it described as 'executable pseudo code' and find that description of it fairly accurate. I also appreciate the fact that FreeBSD is listed as the first system mentioned on this forum. It is my favourite system and again I use it at work and at home.