Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

unknownfactor
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2015, 6:08 pm

I horde information a lot. I use Anki cards to reinforce what I know and I do practice exercises every day. Some examples from today. Today, I learned about Javascript "arguments" objects, the git rebase command, and some tactics for making SSH communication with Linux machines more secure.

That was just the stuff I learned today. There was stuff I previously knew already that I did "review" on. This amounted to 5 cards on stuff like Git, HTTP header info, SQLAlchemy, Windows administration, and AngularJS.

In other words, I have a problem. :( I collect information tech trivia even though I don't work in I.T. and haven't for nearly 2 years now. I am an ever expanding database of trivia, demos, and samplers. I am isolated. I write code but I don't share with any particular community in mind. Having a pie chart tell me that I'm 95% competent has replaced the need for validation from the outside world.

That's what makes this all so strange. I can't describe the problem without coming off as bragging. Humans are easy to off-put. That's kind of why I tend to avoid them. How do you overcome this? I don't know much but there has to be some way to take what little I know and use it to reconnect with the outside world. HELP!! !

unknownfactor
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2015, 2:06 pm

Today was a better day in the sense that the only new things I picked up was stuff on Ubuntu firewall setup and making a Chromebook into an SSH client. It's good to have a wife to calm me down and give me some perspective. She told me I was worrying about the wrong things and needed to chill. If my level of techno-neophilia is okay with her, then that's a good sign. All better now!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 10:37 pm

I'm glad you have a wife.
Is she a NT?

BlackMambaYopa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jul 2015, 8:35 am

Good to know, I love programming too

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 3:27 am

There's nothing wrong with being obsessed with the fascinating world of programming. Trust me, there's a WHOLE lot worse things to be "addicted" to :)

unknownfactor
Raven
Raven

04 Jul 2015, 7:40 pm

slave....
If she is autistic, she's undiagnosed.

guitarman....
It is a good "addiction" to have. Agreed absolutely.

Everyone else....
As of recent, I've found doing my "learning and review" stuff AFTER working on actual projects helped a lot. So with that shift, I'm getting more stuff done and out there online. I'm pretty happy about that.