Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 1:31 pm

I just installed a free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1

What I most like is the return of the king, which is of course the Start Menu, most Microsoft went to their senses, or they had had enough of reading posts on the forums of pissed off users of their system, and they returned to what was good about the previous versions Windows :D

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 5:08 pm

My experience is that the upgrade isn't nearly as streamlined as Microsoft promised. The first time you try to install it, it gets stuck while preparing, even if you leave it for hours. If you interrupt the install, you have to download the entire f*cking thing all over again. As always, the troubleshooting is inherently BS.

The Windows 10 Upgrade (and every feature complete Linux distro as well) is only free if your time is worthless.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 7:49 pm

Kurgan wrote:
My experience is that the upgrade isn't nearly as streamlined as Microsoft promised. The first time you try to install it, it gets stuck while preparing, even if you leave it for hours. If you interrupt the install, you have to download the entire f*cking thing all over again. As always, the troubleshooting is inherently BS.

The Windows 10 Upgrade (and every feature complete Linux distro as well) is only free if your time is worthless.

Mine wasn't that complicated other than the fact It had to rescan my Windows partition after I freed up the extra amount it needed for the upgrade.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 12:07 am

Trying it now as as I'm typing there's a learning curve like with all new OS's somethings are missing from windows 7 and some new things have been added to 10. However I had to tweak the registry a little bit in order to prevent my monitor from automatically turning off when I lock my machine (normally I have an option set to where the monitor will turn it's self off after three hours) Gadgets are gone that I had on 7 however I just Dl'ed a 3 party program and they are now back however the only thing that's left which I really don't like is the preview password icon when one logs in & I've been trying left and right to dry to disable it with no luck Other then that the GUI look pretty decent

There is an option to roll back to windows 7 so I'm also keeping that in mind

As for the install pretty smooth I'd say it took under an hour for me maybe that's because I'm using an ssd card?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 7:33 am

After creating a new recovery drive on an sd card, I did the update on my Surface Pro 3. My son impulsively ran the update on the Windows partition of the iMac.

So far, all is good, except there is some driver problem and the internal USB hub in the mac keyboard is not recognized so we had to swap the USB mouse around to a rear port.

So far, I like it very much. I found a couple of minor problems with art not appearing in FSX, but all other apps are behaving normally. The Windows 10 edition of Minecraft is very smooth, but lacks stone stairs (weird what they left out!)

I haven't messed around with Cortana yet. Edge seems OK, but I am still using Chrome.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 7:44 am

I just updated this morning from windows 7. I had already downloaded it beforehand and once I went into windows update and restarted in order to start the upgrade the process took less than an hour which was much less than I was expecting. I haven't ran into any problems yet and it seems faster on games and stuff. Liking it so far, love some of these app things, they're pretty cool. Like there's weather and maps and all sorts of new cool stuff I need to check out. The different desktops also looks really cool but I haven't found a use for that yet. I need to set up Cortana still, says it's not supported in my region but I think it's just because I haven't set up my microphone yet because I downloaded the language pack stuff. I backed up everything but I didn't need to, it went cleanly. :D I was worried about it but I definitely do think it was worth updating. Loads of new free stuff. But I only did it after literally spending all the past week looking at windows 10 videos and everything, just researching it endlessly so I'd be used to it before I actually had it. :lol:

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 1:56 pm

I also upgraded my Windows 7 installation. Everything went smoothly.

Then I tried to actually do things with my computer. (Thankfully it's an extra machine I've only started poking around with. Chose that one to do the "experiment" in case anything went wrong. It did.)

For most things it seems to work, but I tried to use the software AVStoDVD to author a DVD. The audio is totally out of sync with the video, and every time I try again, the results are the same. It says some component is missing, that it's needing to use an alternate method of handling the audio... It's a mess.

Then I gave up and tried to use Windows DVD Maker to create the disc. Turns out Windows DVD maker no longer works on Windows 10. Microsoft has a webpage addressing the issue, and it suggests trying out their App store for a solution.

There isn't one. There are DVD playing apps, but none for authoring.

They crippled my computer, and I'm SO glad it was an "extra" machine, not the one I do most everything with.

The guy who created and periodically updates AVStoDVD is making suggestions on what you might try to get the software working normaly again on Windows 10, and I've yet to try everything he's suggested, but the fact remains it seems Microsoft wants to hinder people from burning DVDs. What a miserable thing to do.

I know support for 7 will be gone in five years, and everyone will have to use 10 then (they say 10 is the last version of Windows...there will only be updates from now on), and because it'll be past the first year of release I'll end up paying for any switch to Windows 10 I need to make at that time, but it's starting to sound tempting to just keep using 7 until then.

If they can't get their ducks in a row, I might even hope that the "Wine" software for Linux improves enough in the next five years where certain software that won't run on it now will then. If that happens, I'll switch to Linux and not look back.

Microsoft-
Annoying and alienating its customers one improvement at a time.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 3:25 pm

Sethno, sounds like your drivers need updating to work with windows 10. Have you gone to the manufacturer's website?

And there actually is a free DVD app that comes to previous windows 7 and 8.1 users the next time it updates. I have mine now. Haven't tried it out yet and I'm not sure if it does what you're saying but you can look into it more, I'd be unable to explain well enough.

I actually haven't checked my drivers but everything other than Cortana (says not available in my region but I'm sure I'm being an idiot and missing something) is working smoothly so I would assume that they're all alright.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 9:11 pm

iliketrees wrote:
Sethno, sounds like your drivers need updating to work with windows 10. Have you gone to the manufacturer's website?

And there actually is a free DVD app that comes to previous windows 7 and 8.1 users the next time it updates. I have mine now. Haven't tried it out yet and I'm not sure if it does what you're saying but you can look into it more, I'd be unable to explain well enough.

I actually haven't checked my drivers but everything other than Cortana (says not available in my region but I'm sure I'm being an idiot and missing something) is working smoothly so I would assume that they're all alright.

Ummm...

As mentioned, I'm in communication with the guy who created and still updates AVStoDVD. He's said nothing about it being a matter of drivers.

What is the name of the new Microsoft program/app? As I understand it, there is one that will PLAY your DVDs, but it will not allow AUTHORING them.

Are you claiming this new one works as did Windows DVD Maker and it allows AUTHORING new DVDs?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 3:19 am

I don't know. I'm sorry.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 9:04 am

it's one big data-collection bin.
there are 2 PAGES of toggles to determine all the types of information you appear to have a choice to supply or not (and those are only the toggles they let you see).
since i run a data-insight program, i am able to see what is send along, and this revealed that these toggles to exactly nothing: all the data you opted to not give away is still collected and send along to microsoft.

now i know that most companies do this anyway, but noone, not even apple, is so brazen as to give you a choice, and proceed to ignore it.
at least apple doesn't ask, and google just flat-out tells you "we collect this, like it or leave'

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 5:10 pm

izzeme wrote:
it's one big data-collection bin.
there are 2 PAGES of toggles to determine all the types of information you appear to have a choice to supply or not (and those are only the toggles they let you see).
since i run a data-insight program, i am able to see what is send along, and this revealed that these toggles to exactly nothing: all the data you opted to not give away is still collected and send along to microsoft.

now i know that most companies do this anyway, but noone, not even apple, is so brazen as to give you a choice, and proceed to ignore it.
at least apple doesn't ask, and google just flat-out tells you "we collect this, like it or leave'

Was this with the beta or the actual release?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 5:58 pm

Still am trying to decide if I want to try the upgrade....I suppose if i really didn't like it and there wasn't an option to switch back I could just order a copy of windows 7 off ebay or something, I will likely have to get a new computer in the next couple years anyways.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 6:36 pm

hmm, looks like there is the option to switch back if you don't like windows 10...perhaps I will do that the only way to really know if I would like it, is to try it out.

GeekInCloset
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2015, 7:28 pm

My first experience with Windows 10? About two weeks later and I have installed Linux GNOME3 Ubuntu, yeah - I do not like the way Microsoft have gone with 10, meh, its good but I don't like the spying that is going on.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 7:42 pm

What spying is going on?