Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 7:59 pm

Transcendental numbers are a very interesting type of numbers so I decided to make a thread about it.

To understand what transcendental numbers are first we'll start with the definition of natural numbers. Natural numbers are essentially counting numbers 0,1,2,3,4,.... This set is clearly infinite but it is the smallest type of infinity known as Aleph-null. It is called countable or listable which means you can make a list of them and know what the next term is. The next set of numbers we'll discuss is known as integers which are 0,1,-1,2,-2,3,-3,... and so forth. These have the same cardinal as the first one because you can map a 1 to 1 correspondence between each of the elements in both sets.

Like:

0,1,-1,2,-2...

Sure the integers are a denser set but they still have the same cardinal.

The next set of numbers we'll discuss are the rational numbers which are essential negative and positive fractions.

Q={p,q in Z: p/q}

Q is the rationals and Z is the integers, N is the natural numbers.

Using Cantor's diagonal proof we can conclude that this set has cardinality Alpeh null like the rest.

The next type of numbers we'll explore is called algebraic numbers and they are numbers that can be expressed by the solution of a non-zero polynomial equation.

Examples:

sqrt(2) is irrational meaning it cannot be expressed as a fraction however it can be expressed by the solution of a non-zero polynomial.

x^2-2=0, x=sqrt(2), sqrt(2) is algebraic

i is clearly not rational, it is complex. x^2+1=0, x=i. i is algebraic

Get the point?

It has been proven the set of algebraic numbers is listable (has cardinality Aleph null).

Transcendental numbers are numbers that cannot be expressed as the solution of a non-zero polynomial. Whose digits go on forever. There are an uncountably infinite amount of these, has a larger cardinality than the algebraics. It has cardinality Aleph 1.

This is the pinnacle of this thread.

The list of the most interesting transcendental numbers--all transcendental numbers:

Some simple ones:

π- Of course we have to add π.
e- Euler's constant, lim_{N -> infinity} (1+1/N)^N
e^a- Where a is algebraic
ln(a)- Where a is algebraic
sin(a),cos(a),tan(a), csc(a), sec(a), cot(a)- a is algebraic

More interesting ones:

∑β^2^n where 0<|β|<1. The sum ranges from 0 to infinity by the way.

There is many more. Please post some more that I did not get to.

Also feel free to discuss potential transcendental numbers and the zeta function, of course.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Owlpic
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2015, 10:53 am

Rudin wrote:
Transcendental numbers are a very interesting type of numbers

I find the equations or geometrical measurements that generate Transcendental numbers more interesting. I believe they reveal important physics that help understanding fundamental relationships necessary for us to solve new breakthroughs in our understanding of life and our universe.
I have worked for years to derive all the Transcendental equations by only the application of subtraction (meaning minus).
Also worked to intuitively understand geometrical measurements such as Pi*R^2= area of a circle.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 11:54 am

Owlpic wrote:
Rudin wrote:

I find the equations or geometrical measurements that generate Transcendental numbers more interesting. I believe they reveal important physics that help understanding fundamental relationships necessary for us to solve new breakthroughs in our understanding of life and our universe.
I have worked for years to derive all the Transcendental equations by only the application of subtraction (meaning minus).
Also worked to intuitively understand geometrical measurements such as Pi*R^2= area of a circle.

I think I know what you mean by subtraction. Like a power series?

For instance if you wanted to solve -e^a=integer where a is algebraic. You could use a power series which is essentially just subtraction.

A equation to generate a finite(or infinite, I'm not sure) number of transcendental numbers is attributed to Liouville.

A number x is transcendental if there exist to integers p and q such that,

0<|x-p/q|<(1/q)^n

There is a rudimentary proof that shows all Liouville numbers are irrational.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 6:48 pm

Rudin wrote:
It has been proven the set of algebraic numbers is listable (has cardinality Aleph null).

Not to be nitpicky, but I think you meant countable rather than listable. Even with the ability to losslessly convert any form of matter to paper and/or ink, the total quantity of matter in the universe places an upper bound on what is capable of being listed. I suspect that the natural numbers (and by extension, the algebraics) would exceed that bound.

Anyway. Been a long time since I studied real analysis but if I recall correctly, the following is a transcendental number:

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 7:00 pm

RhodyStruggle wrote:
Rudin wrote:

Not to be nitpicky, but I think you meant countable rather than listable. Even with the ability to losslessly convert any form of matter to paper and/or ink, the total quantity of matter in the universe places an upper bound on what is capable of being listed. I suspect that the natural numbers (and by extension, the algebraics) would exceed that bound.

Anyway. Been a long time since I studied real analysis but if I recall correctly, the following is a transcendental number:

By definition yes that is a transcendental number.

A similar one is:

0.11000100000000000000001....=∑10^[n!]

Listable is a synonym for countable, no? If it's not, my apologies.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

slave
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 8:28 pm

Owlpic wrote:
Rudin wrote:

Welcome to WP, Owlpic.
Sounds like you are Mathematician. :D
Your expertise is welcome. :D

slave
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 8:35 pm

Rudin wrote:
Transcendental numbers are a very interesting type of numbers so I decided to make a thread about it.

To understand what transcendental numbers are first we'll start with the definition of natural numbers. Natural numbers are essentially counting numbers 0,1,2,3,4,.... This set is clearly infinite but it is the smallest type of infinity known as Aleph-null. It is called countable or listable which means you can make a list of them and know what the next term is. The next set of numbers we'll discuss is known as integers which are 0,1,-1,2,-2,3,-3,... and so forth. These have the same cardinal as the first one because you can map a 1 to 1 correspondence between each of the elements in both sets.

Like:

0,1,-1,2,-2...

The next set of numbers we'll discuss are the rational numbers which are essential negative and positive fractions.

Using Cantor's diagonal proof we can conclude that this set has cardinality Alpeh null like the rest.

The next type of numbers we'll explore is called algebraic numbers and they are numbers that can be expressed by the solution of a non-zero polynomial equation.

Examples:

sqrt(2) is irrational meaning it cannot be expressed as a fraction however it can be expressed by the solution of a non-zero polynomial.

Get the point?

Transcendental numbers are numbers that cannot be expressed as the solution of a non-zero polynomial. Whose digits go on forever. There are an uncountably infinite amount of these, has a larger cardinality than the algebraics. It has cardinality Aleph 1.

The list of the most interesting transcendental numbers--all transcendental numbers:

Some simple ones:

More interesting ones:

Also feel free to discuss potential transcendental numbers and the zeta function, of course.

Hey Rudin. :D
Never lose your willingness to share your knowledge with others, it is a very nice trait.
Ik you are young, but you are obviously brilliant. :nerdy:
A lot of great minds don't like to share their knowledge, but you do.
I appreciate that trait and wanted to compliment you on it.
warm regards,
slave :D

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 7:02 am

:nerdy:

slave wrote:
Rudin wrote:

Like:

0,1,-1,2,-2...

Examples:

Get the point?

Some simple ones:

More interesting ones:

Hey Rudin. :D
Never lose your willingness to share your knowledge with others, it is a very nice trait.
Ik you are young, but you are obviously brilliant. :nerdy:
A lot of great minds don't like to share their knowledge, but you do.
I appreciate that trait and wanted to compliment you on it.
warm regards,
slave :D

Thank you :)

The things are too interesting not to share, although sometimes I share too much...

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 11:45 am

Rudin wrote:
Listable is a synonym for countable, no? If it's not, my apologies.

No apologies necessary! :) I guess they are synonyms in a general sense. But 'countable' is the canonical term when referring to sets. The only usage of 'listable' I'm familiar with is as an attribute of functions in mathematical programming, e.g. Mathematica.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 8:44 pm

What's the difference between a "transcendental number", and an "irrational" number?

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 9:02 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
What's the difference between a "transcendental number", and an "irrational" number?

An irrational number like sqrt(2) can be expressed as the root of a non-zero polynomial x^2-2=0, x=sqrt(2). Transcendental numbers cannot be expressed of a zero of any polynomial.

All transcendental numbers are irrational, but not all irrational numbers are transcendental.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 12:34 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

also think 'ratio' when you think of irrational numbers as oppose to irrational as defined as being unreasonable

an irrational number is any real number than cannot be expressed as a RATIO of integers

hope that adds to Rudin's good explanation :)

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 2:52 pm

slave wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

also think 'ratio' when you think of irrational numbers as oppose to irrational as defined as being unreasonable

an irrational number is any real number than cannot be expressed as a RATIO of integers

Slave, I need to ask you something.

Do you think my signature is too long and making threads longer? Should I shorten it?

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 9:12 pm

Rudin wrote:
slave wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Do you think my signature is too long and making threads longer? Should I shorten it?

I am not Slave, but..

Yes, and Yes, and pretty please with sugar on top! :D

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 9:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Rudin wrote:
slave wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I am not Slave, but..

Yes, and Yes, and pretty please with sugar on top! :D

Signature has been modified. Was it really that bad? Why did someone not say anything? Did you guys lie to me?

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

slave
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2015, 8:00 pm

Rudin wrote:
slave wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Sry, Rudin, I just read this right now.

I would have suggested removing the double spacing to attenuate it a little, but it wasn't bothering me.
Mine is longer than most users so I can hardly criticize anyone else. :D

I see that you have altered it, so my response is effectively moot.
:D