Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 8:26 pm

I can't join it.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 4:12 am

Lucky you, RedMage - you're not missing anything. :)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 6:00 am

Lau wrote:
I have an extremely empty http://www.myspace.com/lauwr which seemed like a good idea at the time, but I've never really done anything with it.
I haven't any idea how long it had been since I logged onto it.
Curiously, there seems to be a UK Asperger group, with, at a glance, at least one person from here on it.
I might give it another look.

I like the fact that myspace can't count. You only have one friend not two :lol:

It don't surprise me that even large companies can't be bothered with normalised design and are probably botching it like the rest of them. Well bothered not sure that is the right word. But than it their fault if the have to make some upgrade and their end up inconveniencing their customers because it is not feasible to keep their profiles because they don’t have it normalised. Seriously what is what is with these stupid counters count are alike the most elemental of queries also they are faster and accurate..

...and then I find out the myspace allow some invisible friends or something and I’ve just made a fool of my self :oops: Would you really want invisible friends what's the point of that? What's the point of counting them if they are invisable?

lau
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 6:29 am

0_equals_true wrote:
...and then I find out the myspace allow some invisible friends or something and I’ve just made a fool of my self :oops: Would you really want invisible friends what's the point of that? What's the point of counting them if they are invisable?

You're safe, sort of. MySpace is indeed totally confused. It insists on saying that I've got two friends, because I have... or rather... had.
The person who originally got me interested in it seems to have let his profile lapse. I don't know how that works... if you don't use it for a year they delete you? I didn't think it had been quite that long, but maybe.

So...

When I look at myself, it says two and shows one (the ubiquitous Tom).

When I log in, it says two and shows one.

When I click on "Edit friends" it finally shows me a second avatar, as a red X-ed silhouette.

.... so I suppose I do now have an invisible friend. I might send him an email, just to see if he's now not only invisible, but also non-existent!

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 10:38 am

Lau wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

You're safe, sort of. MySpace is indeed totally confused. It insists on saying that I've got two friends, because I have... or rather... had.
The person who originally got me interested in it seems to have let his profile lapse. I don't know how that works... if you don't use it for a year they delete you? I didn't think it had been quite that long, but maybe.

So...

When I look at myself, it says two and shows one (the ubiquitous Tom).

When I log in, it says two and shows one.

When I click on "Edit friends" it finally shows me a second avatar, as a red X-ed silhouette.

.... so I suppose I do now have an invisible friend. I might send him an email, just to see if he's now not only invisible, but also non-existent!

Well I've seen this sort of thing a million times before. Either they are not normalising by having a redundant counter record (which I doubt but I've seen it used on commercial software) or they are using more that one query when in can be handled with one and they are not being consistent or alternatively they are using a programmatic way of counting the results which again is not consistent. At the end of the day it show that they don't know how to construct queries properly and also don't realise how powerful they are and also probably don't know the first thing about normalised design. This is the problem sense db driven content has been almost universal there are many developers who don't know the first thing about db but are still botching away at it. I saw it on another network site similar type thing on their forum. Totally wrong post counts. People who removed their post still shown as last poster. Interjection possible.

RichardSwayne
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 6:50 am

Facebook is much more organized.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 5:00 pm

yes, I happen to have one, hardly use it

http://www.myspace.com/pika_pikachu2005 if you are interested

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

KingMichael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2007, 11:11 am

http://www.myspace.com/kingmichaelpwns

There's mine. I also happen to have a Pokemon card themed picture in my profile. Think I might have used the same card as Sopho.

Shleed
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2007, 9:38 pm

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:11 pm

http://www.myspace.com/pissedoffwithmyspace
_____________________^DON'T ASK.^

Aquamarine_Kitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2008, 2:00 am

Yes

http://www.myspace.com/imaginary_valerie

........And yes, I am a junkie. :lol:

kip
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 7:27 am

http://www.myspace.com/star_walker

If you feel the need to friend me, let me know who you are, I don't just click accept. And I hate spammers, so anyone I don't know is one :P

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 8:13 am

kip wrote:
http://www.myspace.com/star_walker

If you feel the need to friend me, let me know who you are, I don't just click accept. And I hate spammers, so anyone I don't know is one :P

Wow Kip, you are cute! I always pictured you as looking like a nerd since you always post in the computer forum :lol:

patypixie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2008, 2:47 pm

Myspace
Feel free to add me :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2008, 2:56 pm

www.myspace.com/geology2009

Now proficient in ChatGPT!