Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 8:52 pm

Who remembers the old analog video editing systems of the 70s and 80s. Who with me wants to see a PC video editor that can emulate the old linear analog systems? I mean we already have virtual analog synths.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 12:52 am

Analog video editing is something from before my time. How did it all work? It sounds kind of interesting.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 10:00 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Analog video editing is something from before my time. How did it all work? It sounds kind of interesting.

They were consoles that had two Video playback systems and a video recording system for the final result. The ones by Sony that I remember seeing were 3/4" format Pro VCR. You would hook up two or more video monitors, plus they had inserts for video effects devices. SMTE timcode was either a series of LED readouts on the Console itself, or on more expensive systems, overlayed in a box on the series of video monitors.

One thing that you would do, is take the tape that you used as the Final Edit Tape, and record a black backdrop, before using it to maintain a perfect plack background between edits.

Older RTR systems used many differing tape formats ranging from 1/2", 3/4", 1" and even 2" tape reels that were exactly the same as Pro Audio recording tape.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 10:24 am

Fogman wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

They were consoles that had two Video playback systems and a video recording system for the final result. The ones by Sony that I remember seeing were 3/4" format Pro VCR. You would hook up two or more video monitors, plus they had inserts for video effects devices. SMTE timcode was either a series of LED readouts on the Console itself, or on more expensive systems, overlayed in a box on the series of video monitors.

One thing that you would do, is take the tape that you used as the Final Edit Tape, and record a black backdrop, before using it to maintain a perfect plack background between edits.

Older RTR systems used many differing tape formats ranging from 1/2", 3/4", 1" and even 2" tape reels that were exactly the same as Pro Audio recording tape.

There is a series of videos on YouTube that deal with these system