Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

argentwarrior20
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2016
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
Location: Oklahoma

02 Nov 2016, 4:57 pm

The pretty girl in the picture is my fiancee ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Image


_________________
Code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/disk0


klausnrooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jan 2012
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 144
Location: Not my favorite place, I can tell you that.

03 Nov 2016, 6:58 pm

Congratulations on the wedding and Gentoo too. How many hours to get installed? Ready for LFS next?



argentwarrior20
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2016
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
Location: Oklahoma

05 Nov 2016, 12:22 am

klausnrooster wrote:
Congratulations on the wedding and Gentoo too. How many hours to get installed? Ready for LFS next?


It was an overnight thing, especially since I had to rebuild packages a few times because I forgot some USE flags. As for LFS I think I'll pass. My Gentoo setup's pretty comfy, especially after buying a new SSD.
Image


_________________
Code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/disk0


dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,796

05 Nov 2016, 3:52 pm

Congratulations,

I prefer Arch Linux mainly cause the AUR is cool and just its package management in general seems a lot more sane then compiling everything from source. I don't really see much of an advantage to running Gentoo and if I am going to compile everything, I would skip Gentoo and go straight to LFS which is what I am doing with virtualization. Still I just don't see myself running LFS or Gentoo as my default OS. LFS is more educational for me and Gentoo just doesn't have a lot of appeal to me.



argentwarrior20
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2016
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
Location: Oklahoma

05 Nov 2016, 10:20 pm

dcj123 wrote:
Congratulations,

I prefer Arch Linux mainly cause the AUR is cool and just its package management in general seems a lot more sane then compiling everything from source. I don't really see much of an advantage to running Gentoo and if I am going to compile everything, I would skip Gentoo and go straight to LFS which is what I am doing with virtualization. Still I just don't see myself running LFS or Gentoo as my default OS. LFS is more educational for me and Gentoo just doesn't have a lot of appeal to me.


Most of the benefit to Gentoo is in the USE flags. They allow you to have a much slimmer system. For example, if you don't use KDE, you can just not put it in your make.conf and portage won't build KDE code in your packages. Having
Code:
-march=native -O3
in there is more for s**ts and giggles than speed because modern CPUs won't see more than a 1% boost. But I agree with you, Gentoo is not for the impatient.


_________________
Code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/disk0


dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,796

06 Nov 2016, 4:30 am

Well I wouldn't say I am impatient, I do enjoy some virtual LFS but I guess as far as patience goes, I lean more toward having something that is easy to install and maintain, it doesn't have to be completely non technical. However, since we are on the topic of USE flags, do you know if removing USE flags saves any RAM? Cause I might use Gentoo on some low RAM systems if this is true, more in embedded applications really. Does Gentoo support ARM?



argentwarrior20
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2016
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
Location: Oklahoma

06 Nov 2016, 4:25 pm

dcj123 wrote:
Well I wouldn't say I am impatient, I do enjoy some virtual LFS but I guess as far as patience goes, I lean more toward having something that is easy to install and maintain, it doesn't have to be completely non technical. However, since we are on the topic of USE flags, do you know if removing USE flags saves any RAM? Cause I might use Gentoo on some low RAM systems if this is true, more in embedded applications really. Does Gentoo support ARM?


Gentoo supports just about every architecture in use today. Which is easier I guess because it's a source distro. And on Arch/i3wm, with just Firefox Dev and a few other basic apps open I'd already be using over 1.5 GB of RAM. On Gentoo, the same apps will use quite a bit less, although I could probably save more RAM if I built FF myself instead of using the binaries from Mozilla. I don't have any swap space or zram.


_________________
Code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/disk0


feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Jul 2016
Gender: Male
Posts: 881
Location: in the dry land

06 Nov 2016, 5:00 pm

I was using Mint on my laptop until in crashed last week, now I am doing everything on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Wheezy linux.

I have never used Gentoo, but in the past Mandrake/Mandriva and when I get a new laptop I want to get Bio-Linux.