Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Apr 2019, 9:14 pm

For clarity's sake, I'm saying:

Max1951 wrote:
1. Does the persistence of homosexuality indicate that this behavior has an evolutionary advantage?

Logically possibly. I don't think it has to.

Max1951 wrote:
2. If it does not, then why has homosexuality survived evolution's pruning?

Lack of evolutionary pressure.

Max1951 wrote:
3. If it does, then what is the evolutionary advantage conferred by homosexuality?

Being like grandparents raising kids past their reproductive years. Also being like women not displaying fertility externally so humans have to have sex all the time. Human relationships are really important to how society functions. I'm not sure we can be sure this outweighs the reduction in reproduction it causes in evolutionary terms, though.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Apr 2019, 10:10 pm

Sorry for all the posts.

Am I misunderstanding? Is the question more like "Why isn't homosexuality eliminated in, like, a generation being that same-sex couples can't reproduce?"

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 11:38 pm

Dan82 wrote:
Antrax wrote:
Dan82 wrote:
Antrax wrote:
Likewise the traits for homosexuality likely increase the chances of having biological children when not manifesting as full homosexuality. What those traits are, or why they're advantageous I have no idea and would be hesitant to speculate.

I kind of jumped the gun and made another post that I've deleted since before looking things about this up, like the idea there's a genetic link to homosexuality in humans. That actually really surprises me.

I'm curious where you get the idea about increasing the chances of having children, though? Is that speculation?

That is the rigorously investigated theory of evolution. Traits that increase the chances of passing on traits are passed on. Therefore since homosexuality decreases the chance of having biological children, than the traits that give rise to homosexuality must increase the chances of having biological children when not manifesting phenotypically as homosexuality.

Speculation would be if I were to make any remarks of what those traits are when I have no evidence or theory to support it.

I'm interested in this specific claim:

Quote:
Likewise the traits for homosexuality likely increase the chances of having biological children when not manifesting as full homosexuality.

It sounds to me like you're saying the genes for homosexuality increase fertility if they're not manifesting as full homosexuality.

My understanding of evolution is that genes as molecules mutate randomly mostly due to errors in transcription, which causes differences in the expressed traits those genes code for, and if these differences in expression (differently shaped beaks, for example) cause individuals expressing them to die at a faster rate than they can reproduce, they die out due to natural selection.

By analogy, I'm saying the genes for a beak that isn't particularly good at opening nuts on a bird that primarily survives by eating nuts, for example, won't be selected out if there's not a strong evolutionary pressure on the population--if their food is plentiful, or they're not being hunted very often, etc.

Humans are apex predators and incredibly adaptive to their environments, or rather they adapt their environments to themselves very well. The estimates I've heard for homosexuality in the population is something like 2-10%. Even if we assume that no one who's homosexual has children, which I don't think has ever been the case, that slows down reproduction 2-10%, all else being equal. I don't see why there'd have to be some kind of increase in reproduction or survival due to the genes that are linked to homosexuality.

I think homosexuality is costly to reproduction, but the idea I can't get out of my head is that it's not costly enough for natural selection to eliminate it. There isn't another species competing for our ecological niche, for example.

I'm going to break this up into a couple posts because it was very long in a single post.

First model: Let's say I have a population that is 1000 people. 900 are heterosexuals. 100 are homosexuals. Let's say the heterosexuals have an 80% chance of coupling and reproducing. Homosexuals have a 10% chance of coupling and reproducing. Every couple has 4 surviving offspring because overall survival rate of humanity is high. Let's also assume homosexuality is 100% inheritable.

Generation 0: 100 homosexuals, 900 heterosexuals.

Generation 1: 40 homosexuals, 1440 heterosexuals

Generation 2: 16 homosexuals, 4608 heterosexuals

Generation 3: 8 homosexuals (rounding up), 7372 heterosexuals

Generation 4: 4 homosexuals (rounding up), 12000 heterosexuals (rounding up)

Generation 5: 0 homosexuals, 20000 heterosexuals

Thus even though the homosexuals can reproduce and they always produce homosexuals over time because their reproduction rate is low they're eliminated in the population. This is standard evolution, and I'm going to cover other possibilities in my follow up posts.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 12:02 am

Ok model 2:

Model 1 assumed a very low reproduction rate that resulted in homosexuality being eliminated. I'm going to keep the same assumptions only make the reproduction rate of homosexuals to be 30% (so that their population actually increases)

Generation 0: 100 homosexuals, 900 heterosexuals

Generation 1: 120 homosexuals, 1440 heterosexuals

Generation 2: 144 homosexuals, 2304 heterosexuals ( I screwed up on this last post accidentally doubled it :( )

Generation 3: 173 homosexuals, 3686 heterosexuals

Now in this model homosexuals aren't dying out, but they are becoming a smaller and smaller proportion of the population. Let's calculate the percentage at each generation:

Generation 0: 10% homosexuals, 90% heterosexuals

Generation 1: 7.7% homosexuals, 92.3% heterosexuals

Generation 2: 5.6% homosexuals, 94.4% heterosexuals

Generation 3: 4.5 % homosexuals, 95.5% heterosexuals

As long as we remain in perpetual growth mode, the percentage of heterosexuals will increase over time eventually approaching 100%. The pure numbers of homosexuals increases, but this percentage change will become important in the next model.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 12:24 am

Model 3:

Let's now assume a growth neutral population because we're in a time of hardship. Heterosexuals still reproduce at a rate of 80% and homosexuals reproduce at a rate of 30%, but now people die proportionally above over 1000 total.

Generation 1: 120 homosexuals, 1440 heterosexuals (43 homosexuals die, 517 heterosexuals die)

Generation 1 (after mortality): 77 homosexuals, 923 heterosexuals

Generation 2: 92 homosexuals, 1477 heterosexuals (33 homosexuals die, 535 heterosexuals die)

Generation 2 (after mortality): 59 homosexuals, 942 heterosexuals

Under this growth neutral regime both the percentage and the total number of homosexuals will eventually decrease to 0. In the real world humanity has gone through both periods of hardship where growth was neutral or even negative, and periods of booming population growth. Under both regimes the percentage of a trait reducing reproductive success will reduce, but it these times of hardship that actually eliminate traits. Now homosexuality has not be eliminated, and I will present why in my follow-up carrier models. I need to take a break though.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 1:14 am

Ok now for the next model. Up to this point we've assumed 100% inheritability. For this model I'm going to go back to the low reproduction rate of model 1 just to illustrate the point.

Model 4:

Homosexuals reproduce at a rate of 10%, heterosexuals reproduce at a rate of 80%. Homosexuals produce 2 homosexual children, and 2 children that are heterosexual but carry the homosexual trait. These children reproduce at the same rate as other heterosexuals. They produce 2 homosexuals and 2 carriers. For simplicity I will assume heterosexual carriers only reproduce with other heterosexual carriers, otherwise this gets very complicated.

Generation 0: 100 homosexuals, 900 heterosexuals, 0 carriers

Generation 1: 20 homosexuals, 1440 heterosexuals, 20 carriers

Generation 2: 20 homosexuals, 2304 heterosexuals, 20 carriers

Generation 3: 20 homosexuals, 3686 heterosexuals , 20 carriers

In this model the total population actually stabilizes after a generation. But again on percentage the ratio is decreasing and if we introduce mortality, both the carriers and the homosexuals will be eliminated. All of this can be fixed if we introduce a reproduction advantage to the carriers and set the rates of inheritance correctly.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 1:58 am

Ok last one.

Model 5:

Instead of going through every combination I'm going to skip to the end for a full model since I have introduced all the individual elements previously. We will assume hardship (population stays at 1000 with equal mortality rate). Homosexuals reproduce at a rate of 30% and produce 50% homosexuals 50% carriers. Heterosexuals reproduce at 80% and produce 100% other heterosexuals. Heterosexual carriers reproduce at 100% and produce 90% other carriers, 10% homosexuals.

Generation 1: 60 homosexuals, 1440 heterosexuals, 60 carriers (21 homosexuals die, 21 carriers die, 517 heterosexuals die)

Generation 1 after mortality: 39 homosexuals, 923 heterosexuals, 39 carriers

Generation 2: 30 homosexuals, 1477 heterosexuals, 93 carriers (11 homosexuals die, 553 heterosexuals die, 35 carriers die)

Generation 2 after mortality: 19 homosexuals, 924 heterosexuals, 58 carriers

Generation 3: 22 homosexuals, 1478 heterosexuals, 116 carriers (11 homosexuals die, 563 heterosexuals die, 44 carriers die)

Generation 3 after mortality: 11 homosexuals, 915 heterosexuals, 72 carriers

Generation 4: 21 homosexuals, 1464 heterosexuals, 130 carriers (8 homosexuals die, 555 heterosexuals die, 50 carriers die)

Generation 4 after mortality: 13 homosexuals, 909 heterosexuals, 80 carriers

Generation 5: 24 homosexuals, 1454 heterosexuals, 152 carriers (9 homosexuals die, 557 heterosexuals die, 59 carriers die)

Generation 5 after mortality: 15 homosexuals, 897 heterosexuals, 93 carriers

Let's check each by percentage:

Generation 0: 10% homosexual, 90% heterosexual, 0% carrier

Generation 1: 3.9% homosexual, 92.3% heterosexual, 3.9% carriers

Generation 2: 3% homosexual, 92.4% heterosexual, 5.8% carriers

Generation 3: 2.2% homosexual, 91.5% heterosexual, 7.2% carriers

Generation 4: 1.3% homosexual, 90.9% heterosexual, 8% carriers

Generation 5: 1.5% homosexual, 89.7% heterosexual, 9.3% carriers

Yes I'm aware they don't all add up to 100%. This is to due to rounding errors and having a whole number of people. The point is because of the evolutionary advantage of the carriers, they accumulate with each generation. Eventually the population of carriers are high such that the homosexual population is also increasing. If we extended this out for thousands of generations it would eventually become just carriers as the "pure heterosexuals" are eliminated by having a lower reproduction rate than the carriers. The homosexuals survive at a low level because the carriers produce them at a 10% rate.

The actual factors causing homosexuality are undoubtedly more complex than what I've presented here, but this is the evolutionary theory of why homosexual people still exist while likely having a lower biological reproduction rate than heterosexuals.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 2:03 am

Bottom line: If we are correct in the assumption that homosexuality decreases your chances of reproducing, there must be a benefit to the traits that lead to homosexuality when present in heterosexual individuals such that "pure heterosexuality" has been eliminated by evolution.

Yes, I just called everyone a little bit gay :)

Max1951
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2019, 8:17 am

Antrax wrote:
Bottom line: If we are correct in the assumption that homosexuality decreases your chances of reproducing, there must be a benefit to the traits that lead to homosexuality when present in heterosexual individuals such that "pure heterosexuality" has been eliminated by evolution.

Yes, I just called everyone a little bit gay :)

Thanks for the exhaustive illustrations
I guess that you are in keeping with Kinsey's Scale in that assertion, although he does have pure homosexual and pure heterosexual in the tails of his distribution. So we can say that it survives because it is advantageous to the population as a whole. Well, not homosexuality per se, but any genetic traits which contribute to homosexuality must also be advantageous to the survival of the whole population.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 1:55 pm

Max1951 wrote:
any genetic traits which contribute to homosexuality must also be advantageous to the survival of the whole population.

This is again a group selection argument. There are papers claiming that group selection is not so difficult, being identical to kin selection, but you still need to distinguish that from individual level selection and from gene level selection. If you don't, your arguments on evolution are likely to be wrong. There is only one population in each of Antrax' models, so selecting one kind of population over another kind of population is impossible, but that would have to happen for the survival of the whole population to be relevant.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 2:09 pm

Within every population, there are variations. A blue-eyed population might have eye color that ranges from pale blue to deep-sea blue (assuming mixed-dominance for intensity). A "tall" population may have a range of adult heights from 5'8" to 6'8" (or more). A "hetero" population may range from strict heterosexual behavior to "bi-curious" or full bisexuality.

Sexuality is a spectrum of blended types from "Type A" to "Type Z" (and everything in between) and not only those two extremes.

THAT is what evolution accomplishes.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

la_fenkis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 10:15 pm

Assuming for discussion that homosexuality is genetically grounded we can still appreciate that many traits are polygenic/oligogenic (which I'll just call multigenic), involve the interactions of multiple genes, rather than monogenic. Assuming further that homosexuality is such a multigenic trait it wouldn't be necessary for there to be an advantage to the specific individuals carrying the confluence of genes so long as the population as a whole, which carries the collection of genes that can in some individuals coalesce to produce the trait, does not suffer a significant enough disadvantage to promote the elimination of the involved genes from the population.

Monogenic traits that confer reproductive disadvantage have a clear selection bias against them to various degrees, but multigenic traits are more complex as the fitness of those carrying the component genes but not the multigenic confluence thereof regulates the emergence of the trait as a recombinatoric inevitability.

The only thing that can be selected for or against are the individuals carrying the confluence that yields the trait, not the others carrying the individual component genes for whom those genes are inactive and don't contribute to their fitness either way, except for the metabolic energy requirements of duplicating the extra base pairs involved which is easily overshadowed by the metabolic cost of telomere duplication.

That is, unless some subsets of the genes involved in the multigenic trait engender their own traits that contribute their own effects, one way or another, to the fitness of the individuals carrying them. Otherwise only the proportion of the population carrying the trait seems to be regulated and seems to yield a normal distribution for the presence of the trait.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 3:55 pm

la_fenkis wrote:
Assuming for discussion that homosexuality is genetically grounded we can still appreciate that many traits are polygenic/oligogenic (which I'll just call multigenic), involve the interactions of multiple genes, rather than monogenic. Assuming further that homosexuality is such a multigenic trait it wouldn't be necessary for there to be an advantage to the specific individuals carrying the confluence of genes so long as the population as a whole, which carries the collection of genes that can in some individuals coalesce to produce the trait, does not suffer a significant enough disadvantage to promote the elimination of the involved genes from the population.

I keep seeing this "significant enough disadvantage." On a long enough time scale any disadvantage is significant enough to be eliminated. Instead what you have with multigenetic traits is that the individual genes are net beneficial or at least net neutral when factoring in their beneficial and harmful combinations.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 May 2019, 8:43 pm

Antrax wrote:
On a long enough time scale any disadvantage is significant enough to be eliminated.

Even if the organisms that possess them are reproducing faster than they die? I can see how reproducing slower would be a problem if two species are directly competing for an ecological niche, but.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 May 2019, 9:31 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, I can only see how it would be an issue if the species were killing each other or somehow preventing each other from eating, so a higher population would be an advantage.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 3:23 pm

Dan82 wrote:
Actually, now that I think about it, I can only see how it would be an issue if the species were killing each other or somehow preventing each other from eating, so a higher population would be an advantage.

Please have a look again at Antrax' models 1, 2, and 3. In all of them, rate of reproduction makes a difference without there being another species that is preying o n people. Your assumption is not necessary.