Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 11:34 pm

My parents are looking at getting a new computer and are looking to me to advise them on what to get. I'm a little unsure in terms of a Processor.

It will probably be an Intel so a I3 or I5. I was thinking the I3 would be sufficient for their needs but then I friend said, "Maybe an I5 at minimum. The Windows system demands too much for an I3 to handle." Can any one corroborate that or is my friend being biased? What would any of you suggest?

Their computer usage is fairly light. Maybe a max of 3-4 programs at a time. They mostly use it for Web browsing and business insurance billing.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 11:35 pm

Get them a 2009-2010 MacBook. Posting from one right now running MacOS 10:13 like it's a modern computer with no problem.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 5:14 pm

So that doesn't answer my question and it that's not really an option for them.

Aside from there being a price hike with Mac they don't know Mac. It might be considered user friendly but these are older people with a big tech learning curve. I really don't want anything smaller than a 16-17 inch screen for them either.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 5:38 pm

Cheap i5 Dell XPS models with 8 or 16gb ram are more of a sweet spot. I like ThinkPads for the reliability but the Dell is a simpler design.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 5:49 pm

I am 71 years old and with age my eyesight has gotten worse. it is very hard to read the fine print on video monitors and as a result I have a large monitor.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 8:49 pm

A good feature of those Dells I mentioned is Thunderbolt/USB type C charging & hub support, so you could plug in a dock behind an existing desktop LCD & the laptop could run their same 'ole desktop PC rig. Thunderbolt docks can be pricey but type C stuff can handle all the basics for pretty cheap. It's also easy enough to get the dock/charging cable hardware along with new PC orders.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 8:50 pm

For reference, an i3 is probably somewhat less efficient regarding memory usage, so I'd go ahead & skip the 4gb RAM machines, though if you find a deal on one with 8 I'd say it would probably be fine.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 9:01 pm

Here's a cheapish way of getting a thin & light 17" i7 machine - the LG gram laptops in general were very positively reviewed.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/30/lg-gram-17-review-price-specs-big-screen-thin-light/?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=internal&utm_source=dl

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 9:55 pm

cberg, Thank You! That helps

Jimmy, yup same with them. That's why a min of 17" screen (it's the size of their current) is necessary.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2019, 7:17 pm

The LG also has the Thunderbolt/Type C single cable dock adapter support. It's very convenient at a desk even without my little PC running Windows. Not sure if it would charge the Gram 17 but 2 cables is better than 5 anyway.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 11:49 pm

It certainly seems like a sweet laptop. It's really overkill for my parents and out of their price range though. But might be something I'd think about for myself if I was after a laptop lol

The information you gave about I3 and ram helped me make a decision. I was able to find a suitable laptop for them on sale.