Is it possible to tell if the covid-19 virus was man made?

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 1:10 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well it's just why invent a supervirus as a bioweapon unless it could kill more people? For example if the goal was to commit a terrorist act, then wouldn't making some nerve gas make more sense, rather than a type of flu virus that doesn't actually kill as many people compared to nerve gas?

Why dont you tell us?

Its unlikely it was manmade, AND it doesnt make sense for mankind to make it. So where is your disconnect?

I admit that it does look like that it COULD be the result of an accident. That the Chinese were working on some evil awful disease that they could control and could do real harm, but an unfinished strain of the microbe leaked out, and caused this global pandemic (that hurt China itself first). But most experts seem to agree that from the structure of the microbe it looks natural. But if you were a novelist you could use my accident theory plausibly.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 1:59 pm

Oh okay, I can see it being an accidental leak, but why would the Chinese want to invent a disease, when it just means hurting themselves as well, since it would just spread back to them?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Sep 2020, 2:07 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But most experts seem to agree that from the structure of the microbe it looks natural.

This.
Natural "jumps" of pathogens from animals to humans occur every now and then.
With the size of the population and ease of travelling, potential of one of these to become a pandemics is rather high.
So, something quite probable just happened.
It's likely not the last pandemics in my lifetime.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 2:10 pm

It could be manmade. Tiny Lego?

I heard it mentioned that the lab it escaped from is owned by Bill Gates? Is this true?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2020, 6:32 pm

Definitely not true.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2020, 7:57 pm

The first thing you should consider about conspiracy theory type things, is the reliability of the source. Look for something from a reliably unbiased and accurate journalist network; Associated Press and Reuters have the best track record, but NPR, ABC, PBS, CBS, BBC are also decent. Personal accounts or opinions of anyone who isn't a scientist in a relevant field should be suspect as well.

A general rule of thumb when you hear about a possible conspiracy, is to consider how large a conspiracy would have to be? How many people would it need to directly involve and how loyal are the people involved? A small city council can get away with a fair amount of misconduct or crime behind closed doors, but things on a country or global scale are usually just done out in the open through payoffs from lobbyists or some form of group zealotry.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013