Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2023, 4:34 pm

I was just talking about that with one of the staff at my day program the other day. I remember seeing those old postcards with what people thought the future would look like! The stuff in them is a mixture of weird and awesome. I especially liked the concept of flying policemen and a whale-powered underwater bus.

All that technology gave me inspiration for one of my Pokemon fan projects on DeviantArt, where the villainous team (who is based around steampunk) actually builds a lot of this stuff. I have yet to post drawings of the machines, but I came up with a lot of great concepts.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 5:05 pm

NibiruMul wrote:
All that technology gave me inspiration for one of my Pokemon fan projects on DeviantArt, where the villainous team (who is based around steampunk) actually builds a lot of this stuff. I have yet to post drawings of the machines, but I came up with a lot of great concepts.

I like the idea of a Pokemon game set before pokeballs and Bill's PC storage system were invented.

Every trainer gets 6 leashes.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 5:33 pm

NibiruMul wrote:
I was just talking about that with one of the staff at my day program the other day. I remember seeing those old postcards with what people thought the future would look like! The stuff in them is a mixture of weird and awesome. I especially liked the concept of flying policemen and a whale-powered underwater bus.

Yes...you can have fun with retro-futurism. Or "steam punk". Art and animation of technology as it is not...but how the Victorians might have thought it would be.

Old sci fi novels turned into movies were often "accidental steam punk" decades before that term was coined because they depict past notions of future tech. Like Disney's "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea", or the 1933 Huxley novel turned into the British 1936 movie "The Shape of Things to Come" which was about future history...of the coming century after 1933. The movies actually depicts London being bombed by aircraft in a global war that will break out around 1940. Four years later the Second World War really had broken out, and the London Blitz was really happening.