Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2005, 7:37 am

Kitsune wrote:
Still, comparing anything to a DOS based operating system will make anything look like an angel. Stop using Windows 98 sucker's edition, throw away moron's edition, and get rid of 95 tons of MS BS.

What? And miss out on this world-class user experience?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/winrg.php

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2005, 10:50 am

thats scary.... must have been a skin for windows 95 :lol:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jun 2005, 3:13 pm

You're griping about the company while using the budget user operating system. I'm sorry, but you need to bite me.

Antonio
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jul 2005, 3:35 pm

For those on Mac OS X who don't care for the Aqua GUI, it is skinnable, though I don't find Aqua to be quite as irritating as XP's Luna(?), tho, honeslty, neither OS's GUI is all that bothersome to me.

I'm actually using a skin which is a shinier metallic than Aqua, at the moment, and I like it a great deal. It's called "Volcanic Aluminum"
I'll upload a screenshot when I find the time.

I may also find a drafting-type skin.

For me, it all comes down to the capabilities, stability, and usability of the OS, and I think X, with its rock-solid Unix underpinnings, has everything else beat, hands-down.

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jul 2005, 7:10 pm

Use windows 2K. I've had it running for 2 and a half years on this system. I may have posted it before, but this installation has traveled from a P3 500 to a duron 850 to an a64 3000 on one board to an a64 3000 on another board, four massively different hardware configurations.

Linux beats mac. =)

alex
Developer
Developer

05 Jul 2005, 7:54 pm

Kitsune wrote:
Linux beats mac. =)

That is an uninformed comment. One operating system doesn't "beat" another one. Both have their own differences which all contribute towards different factors that all influence how good each operating system will accomplish a large variety of tasks. To merely dismiss one operating system as beating another is silly. If you understood the underlying components that made up Darwin and Linux, you'd realize that the two systems are extremely similar in many respects but also very different in other repsects. These differences make one operating system better better suited for some tasks and the other better suited for different tasks.

I think its silly to argue over these pointless competitions when you could be spending your time trying to better understand all of the operating sytems that you claim to be better than the other ones.

Antonio
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jul 2005, 11:48 pm

alex wrote:
Kitsune wrote:
Linux beats mac. =)

That is an uninformed comment. One operating system doesn't "beat" another one. Both have their own differences which all contribute towards different factors that all influence how good each operating system will accomplish a large variety of tasks. To merely dismiss one operating system as beating another is silly. If you understood the underlying components that made up Darwin and Linux, you'd realize that the two systems are extremely similar in many respects but also very different in other repsects. These differences make one operating system better better suited for some tasks and the other better suited for different tasks.

I think its silly to argue over these pointless competitions when you could be spending your time trying to better understand all of the operating sytems that you claim to be better than the other ones.

And I'll add that, with the aforementioned Unix underpinnings, OS X will do anything Linux can, but with a more robust user interface and superior colour calibration, in addition to having superior hardware drivers and software support.

Of course, the simple fact that OS X can run linux and Unix software via X11 and the SDK makes "Linux beats Mac" all the more an uninformed statement, and most of what I've said here, previously, somewhat moot :lol:

Like I said, I run The Gimp ( a popular Linux image creation and editing app ) in OS X, and I like it a great deal and, in many cases, better than I like Photoshop. For what I do primarily, it's the best. While I'm interested in playing around with Linux, as an intro to working with software the same way I do hardware, it's probably better to just use Gimp in X, because I know the colour calibration is as accurate as is possible, so what I see on my screen is what I will see printed.
I also have the benefit of X's Quartz rendering.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2005, 2:22 pm

firstly, Windows is the worst OS in the world, I really couldn't care less as far as Macs are concerned, wherether it be MacOS, or the crappy Mac hardware which i find lacking in design (whoever designed them iMacs must have been insane, the iBooks are no better, using the same hideous white, the Powerbooks need a rethink and redesign as they lack good looks like a laptop should have, basically Apple need to redesign both OS and computer before i even touch anything they make, which does include iPods). As for Linux, that is a better OS than Windows and MacOS put together (yes i know MacOS X is unix based to some extent but i couldn't care less). Linux, with it being a Unix-type OS means it's a lot more stable than windows, so i say NEVER use windows, and if you do go out andf buy a Mac (if you really did want to), make sure you get a Linux distro (i personnaly recommend Ubuntu, as long it is available to run on a Mac CPU (which i think is PowerPC) then you are sorted

I apologise for the Mac dissing but that is how i feel about those computers, sorry if you don't like it

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Antonio
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2005, 1:17 am

Pikachu wrote:
firstly, Windows is the worst OS in the world, I really couldn't care less as far as Macs are concerned, wherether it be MacOS, or the crappy Mac hardware which i find lacking in design (whoever designed them iMacs must have been insane, the iBooks are no better, using the same hideous white, the Powerbooks need a rethink and redesign as they lack good looks like a laptop should have, basically Apple need to redesign both OS and computer before i even touch anything they make, which does include iPods). As for Linux, that is a better OS than Windows and MacOS put together (yes i know MacOS X is unix based to some extent but i couldn't care less). Linux, with it being a Unix-type OS means it's a lot more stable than windows, so i say NEVER use windows, and if you do go out andf buy a Mac (if you really did want to), make sure you get a Linux distro (i personnaly recommend Ubuntu, as long it is available to run on a Mac CPU (which i think is PowerPC) then you are sorted

I apologise for the Mac dissing but that is how i feel about those computers, sorry if you don't like it

Based on what?
You aren't even sure what CPU MacOS runs on.

OS X unix-based "to some extent"?
No. It IS unix-based. Period. No extent. It it rooted in Unix, via a NetBSD implementation with a Darwin core.

You are entitled to your opinion, but get your facts straight before trying to state them as fact.

As for design, go with whatever catches your fancy. If you find it aesthetic, then you can't go wrong.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 2:35 am

Antonio wrote:
Pikachu wrote:

Based on what?

No. It IS unix-based. Period. No extent. It it rooted in Unix, via a NetBSD implementation with a Darwin core.

You are entitled to your opinion, but get your facts straight before trying to state them as fact.

As for design, go with whatever catches your fancy. If you find it aesthetic, then you can't go wrong.

I said i think the CPU in a Mac is PowerPC, meaning that that's the last CPU i remember it being NOT i'm unsure

technically i am right abut Mac OS X being unix based to some extent because it is

Yes I am entitled to my opinion, don't argue with them please

Case closed

Antonio
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2005, 11:53 am

Pikachu wrote:
Antonio wrote:
Pikachu wrote:

Based on what?

I said i think the CPU in a Mac is PowerPC, meaning that that's the last CPU i remember it being NOT i'm unsure

technically i am right abut Mac OS X being unix based to some extent because it is

Yes I am entitled to my opinion, don't argue with them please

Case closed

Or you'll do what, exactly?

For the record, I'll argue if I feel like doing so.
If you're afraid someone will disagree with you, then you shouldn't speak up in the first place, especially with that attitude.

And no, it is Unix based, not to some extent, it just is.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2005, 12:21 pm

Antonio wrote:

I take that as a threat, i already said i want no arguements, i'm trying to be polite and not upset others, :roll:

and what kind of attitude do you think i have? I'm trying to be reasonable

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Jul 2005, 1:05 pm

Kitsune wrote:
It took me all of five minutes to completely destroy linux. It isn't as stable as people think. (Took out mandrake.)

Well anyone can destroy any operating system if they have root access. that doesn't have anything to do with stability. You probably didn't even crash linux. You probably just crashed KDE or whatever other GDM you use.

Antonio
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2005, 12:16 am

Pikachu wrote:
Antonio wrote:

I take that as a threat, i already said i want no arguements, i'm trying to be polite and not upset others, :roll:

and what kind of attitude do you think i have? I'm trying to be reasonable

Don't play innocent :roll:
No, you weren't being reasonable; I disagreed with you, told you your facts were wrong ( which they were )and you decided to respond with that "don't argue with them... case closed" garbage.
Your response to my debate was interpreted as an empty threat ie: not at all seriously, which is why I asked exactly what you planned on doing about it .
I think anyone who does actually think would call it sarcasm, even with asperger's.
For all I really care, though, you can take it however you want.

As I said, you're more than welcome to your opinion, as is everyone.
What I was saying was that you probably should check your facts before presenting them as such, or expect a debate from someone who knows better.
Of course, you don't have to. You can freely mislead yourself into believing your half-guesses are facts, just don't get too frustrated when that someone says something about it. You can't have it both ways and there is, believe it or not, a difference between fact and opinion.

I was trying to reasonable about that in my first response, which is why I ended with the note about you being entitled to your opinion. I just didn't appreciate your spewing of half-information as an absolute.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2005, 2:19 am

Antonio: go look elsewhere for an arguement, i don't want one

Thanks

Antonio
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2005, 3:40 am

Pikachu wrote:
Antonio: go look elsewhere for an arguement, i don't want one

Thanks

Cry me a river.
Next time, if you don't want an argument, stick to stating what you know.

Keep your thanks.