Noises coming from my computer after installing IDE drive

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 5:42 am

My computer randomly makes a strange sound after I installed my spare HD from my old computer. Everything with my computer is working properly but you wouldn't believe how annoying this sound is! It doesn't sound like the normal sounds you hear from a HD. I can't really explain the type of sound that it's making but the best way to describe it would be to imagine the normal sounds that a HD makes magnified 20 times (loudness-wise).

Do you guys think that my IDE hard drive is dying? Or what?

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 8:47 am

few things, with side panel off, does sound seem to come from were the slave harddrive is?? what brand is the save drive (maxtor, seagate) have you went to manufacturers website in troublshooting area?? if its clicking and from harddrive its possible its just doing alot at once, if whining or groaning from harddrive area, its possible the bearing in middle of platter is about to go, its also possible that the noise you are hearing is a cpu or power supply fan, thats what happened to my dad's xp, turn it on it will make a loud groaning noise.

if the noise you suspect is sounding really bad and from the slave drive, back up the important stuff onto a usb or cd format or migrate to the master so there would be less impact if and when it dies.

good luck

wildfire
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Apr 2008, 12:29 pm

two other things it could be apart from the drive about to die is

- A cable just is brushing against a rotating fan, making a buzzing noise because the fan blades tap the wire? that can happen because you can't always see where the wires end up going when you close the case.

- The drive is not anchored firmly and it's rattling back and forth? (did you have enough screws / tighten them all?)

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 12:09 pm

if the added drive is making a grinding sound it may be heavily fragmented, try running the defragmenter utility