Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 2:02 pm

So OK, I was getting my computer rigged up today and wondering what OS Setup will make it most compatible with todays and yesterdays software.

Hard Disk 0- Windows XP Professional
Hard Disk 1- Ubuntu 8
Hard Disk 2- FreeDos

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 3:00 pm

If you're looking for compatibility with typical user software, Windows is probably your safest bet. Really depends on what software you're talking about though.

RogueProcess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2008, 3:20 pm

You could always just make do without FreeDOS and run your DOS stuff in DOSBox - I know that speed takes a big hit when using DOSBox, but pretty-much anything too fast for it probably also had a Windows 95 version or similar. Correct me if I'm wrong, it just seems a little silly having a whole HDD devoted to running DOS apps in my opinion.
Then again, I may be talking rubbish :P

Ashton
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2008, 7:30 pm

RogueProcess wrote:
You could always just make do without FreeDOS and run your DOS stuff in DOSBox - I know that speed takes a big hit when using DOSBox, but pretty-much anything too fast for it probably also had a Windows 95 version or similar. Correct me if I'm wrong, it just seems a little silly having a whole HDD devoted to running DOS apps in my opinion.
Then again, I may be talking rubbish :P

I have to agree.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 8:50 pm

A combo of XP and Ubuntu 8.04.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 10:30 pm

Ubuntu, install virtualbox, then run Windows XP inside it (or at least that's my plan)

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 11:03 pm

I find it wisest to place "programs and files" and "my documents" or "/home" on a separate partition or even disk. its a hell of a lot safer if you ever botch an install.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 11:22 pm

I've always had my games installation and documents on a different drive, saves backing them up if I have to re-install Windows. Always have since Windows 4.10.950 A

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:58 pm

Keith wrote:
I've always had my games installation and documents on a different drive, saves backing them up if I have to re-install Windows. Always have since Windows 4.10.950 A

I do that too. I also put the pages file on the other drive. However will running FreeDos in a virtual box be far more efficient than having it on a separate partition.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 1:13 pm

gamefreak wrote:
I also put the pages file on the other drive.

I take it you mean "paging file" as you using NT as opposed to DOS? (swap file)

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 4:54 pm

Keith wrote:
gamefreak wrote:
I also put the pages file on the other drive.

I take it you mean "paging file" as you using NT as opposed to DOS? (swap file)

Yes

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 4:59 pm

gamefreak wrote:
Keith wrote:

I do that too. I also put the pages file on the other drive. However will running FreeDos in a virtual box be far more efficient than having it on a separate partition.

I would have a version of DOS with drivers on a separate partition - BUT with newer hardware and the lack of drivers for DOS now, you may find that it is far more efficient to run a virtual machine inside the Operating System. A window as such where it can translate back to the underlying OS for the drivers and a better experience of DOS