Is There Anything Like Earphones to Silence the Noise?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 9:32 pm

I live in a small motor home with my dad. As I'm typing I can't even hear myself think because of his very loud dumb movies. :x

There's hardly any privacy here and my room is very small so I can't exactly go back there to really do much writing or reading unless I'm laying down.

Are there any alternatives to earplugs that will silence the noise out?

23 May 2008, 9:34 pm

I have heard of noise canceling headsets.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 9:39 pm

foam ear plugs work for me, I need them sometimes at work, and they are very cheap, I use to use them for getting to sleep

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 9:40 pm

Bose, noise canceling headphones come to mind.

I have no idea how well they work.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 10:02 pm

I was also going to suggest noise canceling headsets. You can find them at Wal-Mart though I'm not sure actually where. :?

Actually, I'm thinking they may be where the hunting supplies are.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 10:03 pm

If I understand correctly, the circuitry creates the room sounds 180 degrees out of phase. The room sounds, in combination with the 180 degree signal, cancels out the noise

Bose headphones are advertised on the radio (as far as I know, on TV, but I haven't had TV for 6 months...;). They're just #$%^ing expensive...

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2008, 10:12 pm

Noise Cancelling headphones from my experience do not block all noise.
They only cancel certain frequencies.
So these may not be what you are looking for in this situation.

I'd say a comfortable set of hearing protectors which will do a good job and be a lot cheaper.
After all... do you care what you look like at home while wearing a pair of ear muffs?

The other alternatives that I have experience with are the many varieties of ear plugs, some of which are suggested above.

I have grown real fond of my VModa ear-canal earbuds (or whatever they're called).
These make a good seal with my ear canal, block outside sounds really well, and since they do all that, I don't have to turn up my iPod very loud to get a good volume.
My ears ring constantly from abuse so not having to turn up the iPod is really good for me in the long run.

One other alternative, albeit a noisy one, is a fan. Turn it towards your dad's area and turn it on high.
The noise of the fan will drown out the television (depending on how close you are to the t.v.) and it will actually carry your sounds his way instead of the other way around.
Plus you can make scary noises from behind the fan and they will sound really weird as they pass by the blades.. maybe your dad will turn down the television if a scary voice tells him to :twisted:

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2008, 10:20 pm

Noise canceling headphones are what you're looking for.

wsmac is right, not all frequencies tend to be blocked as well. Usually low frequencies are blocked better, which is why people like noise canceling headphones for airplanes.

Really good noise-canceling headphones tend to be quite expensive, though. But also, price is no indication of quality (there are some pretty expensive ones out there that aren't that much better than the less expensive ones)

kip
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 1:49 am

Get a pair of those shooting headsets, and a dremel. Then dremel holes to put little earbud headphones in, and listen to something you like. I had a set of these and I couldn't hear my mum YELLING right behind me, and she is a loud woman.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 2:17 am

I wouldn't recommend noise cancelling earphones because they do the same thing as noise isolating earphones, are more expensive and have reduced sound quality. Anything by Shure or Sennheiser I can easily recommend. The Shure SE series goes from the cheaper SE110 model to the more expensive SE530s, which sound as good as a live performance. They block out pretty much all noise even on low volumes.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 4:54 am

Wow thanx guys.

I have tried the fan but all my dad does is turn the sound up on his Blasting Box. :x

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 12:04 pm

I use nice Maxell headphones (not the inner ear plugs, they build up alot of wax), but the problem is the cord ALWAYS tangles and I spend more time untangling it than I do listening to music.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 12:27 pm

I just use ordinary industrial ear defenders. They are relatively comfortable, better than ear plugs. OK I look a prat in them but only wear them at home while the vacuum cleaner is on or if I want to think while the TV is blaring away. They really do block out most of the sound and aren't expensive. Why go high tech if you only need them for home use?

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 1:56 pm

I know your room is in your house but you may have to go outside during that time. You may find something outside that you really want to write about. :)

That noise could really damage your ears. In fact, tell him that. Of course you might have done that already. :?

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2008, 7:59 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I just use ordinary industrial ear defenders. They are relatively comfortable, better than ear plugs. OK I look a prat in them but only wear them at home while the vacuum cleaner is on or if I want to think while the TV is blaring away. They really do block out most of the sound and aren't expensive. Why go high tech if you only need them for home use?

Your not the only one who wears them when vacuuming!
I do also.
I wear a pair for any loud noise that I am trying to block out around the house... vacuum, coffee grinder, mixer, etc.