Page 8 of 13 [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

KenithSobel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2008, 8:51 am

Windows Vista + All SP's

Windows ME

one in the same

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2008, 9:12 pm

musicforanna wrote:
jdbob wrote:
Versados by a big margin. In case you are wondering, it was Motorola's operating system for the 68000 family in the later half of the 1980s.

Same processor family as the early Macs?

Yes. Also, from wikipedia: "Amiga, Atari ST, Apple Lisa and Macintosh"

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Oct 2008, 2:05 pm

musicforanna wrote:
Paddy789 wrote:
I liked OS9.

Leopard and OSX in general is too simplified and condescending, it makes me feel like I'm some idiot that can't use computers since it's impossible to tweak by normal means. I had no problems with it though, but I don't know if I'll ever like it.

I like Vista, oddly enough... I had no problems with it so far. Using it for almost a year and I had no major issues, SP1 made it even quicker than XP too.

wow, you're an anomaly I see.

Is that meant to be sarcastic?

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 2:58 am

no I'm not intending to be sarcastic.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 11:07 am

musicforanna wrote:
I also never quite understood those people who were all about being OS 9 holdouts because they hated the change in OS X (okay, I understand if you were waiting on a main app for your job to be reprogrammed for X, but there were some people who held onto OS 9 in an obsessive degree, like they were eating cold canned spaghetti-o's in a muddy bomb shelter.) It was crazy.

My mom STILL hangs on to OS9 in order to use the old Mac version of Outlook Express. Although, it's used in "classic" mode in OSX which is somewhat like virtualization- OSX is on there for everything else, and OS9 is running in virtualization for an e-mail client.

k_semler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2008, 3:21 am

Windows Millennium Edition. That OS should have never been released. I would sooner run MS Win311 FW and install Win32s and Calmira, then run Windows ME. The only thing WinME is good for is as a range target. ANYTHING is better then Windows ME.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 11:36 am

k_semler wrote:
Windows Millennium Edition. That OS should have never been released. I would sooner run MS Win311 FW and install Win32s and Calmira, then run Windows ME. The only thing WinME is good for is as a range target. ANYTHING is better then Windows ME.

alt text: Apple uses automated schnapps IVs.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 11:18 pm

Orwell wrote:
musicforanna wrote:
I also never quite understood those people who were all about being OS 9 holdouts because they hated the change in OS X (okay, I understand if you were waiting on a main app for your job to be reprogrammed for X, but there were some people who held onto OS 9 in an obsessive degree, like they were eating cold canned spaghetti-o's in a muddy bomb shelter.) It was crazy.

My mom STILL hangs on to OS9 in order to use the old Mac version of Outlook Express. Although, it's used in "classic" mode in OSX which is somewhat like virtualization- OSX is on there for everything else, and OS9 is running in virtualization for an e-mail client.

I upon occasion (maybe once every 6 months) use OS 9 (a lot of times in "classic" form) for an old game or something I haven't played in a while. But using it day to day? I don't have any patience for that crap. And I say that wholeheartedly as a long-time mac user.

'dem people & their Outlook Express. Outlook Express is dead. OS 9 is dead. I would've found an alternative app to use at this point.

First video that comes to mind? This one from WWDC in 2002.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl7xQ8i3fc0[/youtube]

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 5:41 am

All Windows OSes.

AngryReptileKeeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2008, 2:26 pm

Mandrake and Xandros, both Linux distros. I read that Xandros was the most user-friendly form of Linux. What a joke! If I can't install anything without a painful process, get software or run updates without crashing or even do basic things like playing sound, it's crap. It couldn't even find any drivers for my USB devices. I also found many of the users on several Linux forums to be rude and unhelpful.

Windows isn't perfect, but at least I can use it and get software for it. :?

chever
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 4:01 pm

Linsux works great here

(I use Vector)

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:19 pm

I was just given another reason to hate vista. After my last update, vista reverted to declaring every site on the internet a security risk that I shouldn't visit. And it reverted some of my other settings back to what they were originally as well

Well I got that taken care of, and today had to disable a lot of security features I want because of an attempt to get license authorization for software - which didn't work.

So I give up on the software, and put all the features back to the way I want about 30 minutes ago(at least I think I have). Then I'm in the midst of making a long post on a forum and go to search for information about something related to it. Immediately after I click on someone's blog page my windows close without warning and I'm being logged out.

Thinking that there might have been something unreliable on the page causing this to happen, I immediately forced a shut down. Then I had to try restarting the computer 5 times before I got more than a black screen. And of course I was trying the start up restore before the regular restore because of the black screen and was thinking that I might have gotten a virus that was trying to install itself. I was a bit panicky because I can't afford to have the computer repaired right now, and might even end up needing to sell it

Turns out the problem was vista's "Hey you can't possibly be doing anything that would prevent you from wanting us to restart your computer while we install some updates that might be time consuming" policy.

When it finally let me restart, it brought up my windows, but also kindly blanked the post I was writing.

I can't wait to get linux on this machine so i don't have to have mother vista hovering over my every move.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 7:13 am

Triangular_Trees wrote:
Turns out the problem was vista's "Hey you can't possibly be doing anything that would prevent you from wanting us to restart your computer while we install some updates that might be time consuming" policy.

When it finally let me restart, it brought up my windows, but also kindly blanked the post I was writing.

I've turned the automatic update feature off in Vista and just let it tell me when updates are available, so I can download them at a time that is convenient, otherwise they just kill my internet connection (I've only got dial up as I'm in the middle of the countryside). Another one to watch out for is Adobe. That has a habit of looking for and downloading massive updates for itself - until I figured out what was happening I thought something was wrong with the computer so I kept re-starting it to get the internet speed back - trouble was this wrecked the download so it kept going back to the beginning each time. The download was too big to download anyway as it would have needed more than 24 hours online to get it and the computer is never online that long!! !

Worst operating system I've ever used? Vista without a doubt.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 11:24 pm

Quote:
I've turned the automatic update feature off in Vista and just let it tell me when updates are available, so I can download them at a time that is convenient, otherwise they just kill my internet connection (I've only got dial up as I'm in the middle of the countryside). Another one to watch out for is Adobe. That has a habit of looking for and downloading massive updates for itself - until I figured out what was happening I thought something was wrong with the computer so I kept re-starting it to get the internet speed back - trouble was this wrecked the download so it kept going back to the beginning each time. The download was too big to download anyway as it would have needed more than 24 hours online to get it and the computer is never online that long!! !

Worst operating system I've ever used? Vista without a doubt.

I think I might have had that blocked off before - the update before this one reset a lot of the things I had previously changed and my memory isn't any good right now. At any rate, I don't remember this happening for a while before now.

I don't have any problems with adobe - but then I need to have a lot of programs disabled to use a vista computer (ie flash, java) and I only turn them on when i know that I'm visiting a site thats safe for me to use them, and then immediately disable them again so that might be part of it

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 10:36 pm

DeLoreanDude wrote:
All Windows OSes.

What I hate most about Mac and Linux fanboys is that they generalize every version of windows as a piece of crap.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 10:54 pm

gamefreak wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:
All Windows OSes.

What I hate most about Mac and Linux fanboys is that they generalize every version of windows as a piece of crap.

Here's a Mac AND Linux fanboy waiting eagerly for his chance to install Vista...