Page 4 of 13 [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 7:41 am

I am using vista. And its the most annoyingest thing ever. Not to mention half the time it won't let me visit a site I want to because its decided that site is a security risk. never mind the fact that I know nothing bad will happen as I routinely visit that site on other computers- and it won't let me circumvent that.

Also i can't even use "alt control delete" because that causes the screen to flash dark than light again, which is enough to send me into a seizure. Therefor I need to hold down the power button and restart every time my computer begins running really slowly. I can use a computer and browse the internet (no flash player) just fine, but that sudden flashing is horrible and there is no way to avoid it entirely. It took me quite a bit of searching around on the internet just to figure out how to keep it from happening everytime I wanted to open a program or an update became available - one of the first things I did was contact microsoft but they refused to tell me how on the basis that I had only bought vista from them, not the computer it was running on

I've also turned off vista's security and virus programs because of this so now every time I start the internet I'm told my computer is at a severe security risk before I'm allowed to open a website

Then there is also the annoying "checking to solve the problem" feature every time you close a window that isn't responding. Is it that hard to realize that some people would rather just close the window, open a new one, and be on the requested site in 2 seconds, than spend 5 minutes waiting for their computer to tell them why the window wasn't responding

I also am not allowed to begin browsing the internet until microsoft messenger starts up. I've no desire to use microsoft messenger. I spent an hour fighting to get into the recycle bin than erased it from there, but the next time I started up the computer it was back. And now I don't have permission to even change its folder. After all vista knows what programs I want and I, as a user of the computer, have no knowledge of all of what programs I'd like to have running. Whats the point of having an OS that doesn't let you make any decisions?

It not only takes forever to open any program, it takes forever just to view the start program list. And remember how you used to just be able to hover your mouse in programs like word and see all your options. Not any more. You know have to click on each title, wait a full minute or longer for the group to open, then click on what you want and wait another minute for those options to open. So if you are unfamiliar with the choices it might take you 10 minutes just to find the correct tab instead of the 10 seconds it took on older OS

To if one window causes an error, vista will close all your windows, without warning.

I'll enter in a middle of a post, to start a new paragraph and vista advances me to the next page (it just did now). It just as frequently takes you back to the previous page when you hit backspace to erase one mistyped letter, thereby erasing lengthy posts you've worked on and oftentimes making them impossible to retrieve

even more annoying is that if you drag a window even slightly onto another window it will advance the second window to whatever site the first is on - whoever thought that would be an even slightly desirable trait needs to be painfully and excruciatingly tortured until they can experience reality. I've yet to find a way to stop that from happening

It also has severly limited backwards capability which doesn't make the slightest bit of common sense. One of the greatest selling points of a new OS is that previous features will work on them.

Its not surprise at all that many businesses are preferring to keep their old computers for another 5 years than to buy ones with vista

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Aug 2008, 8:20 am

It's standard tradition to use Firefox and the likes now. We all agreed that IE was a pile of s**t ages ago. Why? It's easy to target. :lol:

And yeah, it's funny how most people complain about Vista when their computers are simply too slow to begin with (although shops these days are selling REALLY s**t computers because Laptops are more popular). Also the fact that 90% of all computer problems are human error, ie. users cause the problems themselves. A friend of mine was going mad because he couldn't run Vista fast enough, turned out he had a Pentium III, 128mb RAM and intergrated graphics... barely even enough to run XP! :lol:

Backwards compatibility? I've ran games like Total Annihilation without problems on mine... and it was made in 1997. Also the problem you're getting with typing on webpages seems to be something else, I haven't had this even on IE7 yet.

I'm no Microsoft fanboy, Linux is good despite it's difficulty and I don't hate Macs despite my OSX whinging earlier (I still use it for Logic Pro), just that the trend of Vista-bashing is getting tiresome especially when it's getting praise over SP1 now. OSes interest me in general, so I don't prefer one over others.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 9:40 am

Paddy789 wrote:
It's standard tradition to use Firefox and the likes now. We all agreed that IE was a pile of sh** ages ago. Why? It's easy to target. :lol:

And yeah, it's funny how most people complain about Vista when their computers are simply too slow to begin with (although shops these days are selling REALLY sh** computers because Laptops are more popular). Also the fact that 90% of all computer problems are human error, ie. users cause the problems themselves. A friend of mine was going mad because he couldn't run Vista fast enough, turned out he had a Pentium III, 128mb RAM and intergrated graphics... barely even enough to run XP! :lol:

Backwards compatibility? I've ran games like Total Annihilation without problems on mine... and it was made in 1997. Also the problem you're getting with typing on webpages seems to be something else, I haven't had this even on IE7 yet.

I'm no Microsoft fanboy, Linux is good despite it's difficulty and I don't hate Macs despite my OSX whinging earlier (I still use it for Logic Pro), just that the trend of Vista-bashing is getting tiresome especially when it's getting praise over SP1 now. OSes interest me in general, so I don't prefer one over others.

You seem to be mistaking me for someone who knows nothing about operating systems. i know plenty and thats why i can say beyond any possible doubt that vista is very sh***y and not worth spending two cents on. Not to mention as I've stated above my disability makes their "security" features extremely physically dangerous for me

I also know plenty of people that write operating systems. When I get a chance I will be putting a partition on my computer so that I can use Linux without voiding my warranty

An OS doesn't get excessively bashed unless its trash in the first place. Vista deseves 100% of the bashing it gets - and probably quite a bit more than that too. But then who knows, since it never lets you open programs you want to use, deeming them unfriendly or illegally (and its been proven to be wrong something like 85% of the time when it does that) it is likely a whole lot worse. After all its unreasonable to think it wouldn't screw up those programs if it would actually let you use them

I would love for my problems to be caused by my error. Unfortunately they are caused by vista deciding that I can't really want to do that and than stopping me from doing it - ie removing windows messenger. I wouldn't mind having that program on the computer if I didn't have to wait for it to start up everytime I got online, but it doesn't give me the option of not having it start up. And as I said, vista completely overrided me when I deleted the program and in such a way that I now have no control over the program

I had no problems with my last OS, even when I wrote my own programs to run on it

I do agree that linux is much better. Unfortunately circumstances prevented me from getting anything other than vista due to the time at which my last laptop was accidentally knocked on the floor (I needed a computer asap or my thesis wouldn't get done so I had to go with what was available)

The fact you don't think vista has backwards capability when thats one of the biggest drawbacks of getting it makes me think that you don't know half as much about computers and operating systems as you claim too. Of course the very fact you don't think it deserves its criticism shows that lol. Vista is junk, pure and simple, and anyone who knows the slightest bit about operating systems will tell you that.

**Ps so you really think schools like Carnegie Mellon only have problems with vista because they don't have their computers set up correctly? Because thats equivalent to what you are saying when you claim that Vista's slowness isn't due to Vista. After all, it does take a minute or longer to open things using vista on their computers. If you do, than I'd love to hear you tell about what universities expel excellent knowlege of OS and why you think CMU isn't one of them

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Aug 2008, 9:56 am

In other words "I'm know more stuff than you". You couldn't be any more arrogant.

If it's pure junk backed by 100% fact, then how come I've absolutely no problems with it? No security problems, no crashes, no compatibility issues and no slowdown here. :roll:

Last edited by Paddy789 on 14 Aug 2008, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 9:58 am

Paddy789 wrote:
In other words "I'm know more stuff than you".

Couldn't be any more arrogant. If it's pure junk backed by 100% fact, then how come I've absolutely no problems with it? :roll:

Going by what you wrote, I imagine you've been tweaking

And I was no more haughty than you. If you don't want to be treated condescendingly than you shouldn't act condescending toward others. You reap what you sow. You put forth an "you just don't know what you are talking about" and I returned it. Seriously, why put forth such an attitude if you don't want people to respond in kind? You want to tell people their vista problems are caused by user error and not knowing how to set up their computers properly than you should be prepared for those people to tell you that they do in fact know about OS and computer setup

Look at what you wrote. Beyond any doubt its "i know more stuff than you."

Quote:
And yeah, it's funny how most people complain about Vista when their computers are simply too slow to begin with (although shops these days are selling REALLY sh** computers because Laptops are more popular). Also the fact that 90% of all computer problems are human error, ie. users cause the problems themselves.

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Aug 2008, 10:12 am

I haven't tweaked it in any way after I installed it onto this PC, although I don't think there's any need to.

I haven't exactly said that people are stupid because most don't have much knowledge about them, that's what I'm not trying to portray here. Just because one has lack of knowledge on one thing doesn't mean one is an idiot after all, as one can have knowledge in a different field. But the truth is, not many people know how to use a computer properly and that's a fact. Not everyone can programme in C or build their own systems, for example. Not many can even reinstall their own OS or fix their own problems. I am no means infallible myself, even I make my own silly mistakes.

To assume that an OS is crap in such a zealous manner with such awful misconceptions like yours is utterly ridiculous, especially if you claim to know a lot about this stuff too even though ironically you don't seem to know how to use IE... heh. (Well, It does seem like that if you complained about it's overbearing security that can be easily switched off)

And yes, there's my attempt at pretentious TL;DR verbosity. :lol:

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 10:20 am

Paddy789 wrote:
I haven't tweaked it in any way after I installed it onto this PC, although I don't think there's any need to.

I haven't exactly said that people are stupid because most don't have much knowledge about them, that's what I'm not trying to portray here. Just because one has lack of knowledge on one thing doesn't mean one is an idiot after all, as one can have knowledge in a different field. But the truth is, not many people know how to use a computer properly and that's a fact. Not everyone can programme in C or build their own systems, for example. Not many can even reinstall their own OS or fix their own problems. I am no means infallible myself, even I make my own silly mistakes.

To assume that an OS is crap in such a zealous manner with such awful misconceptions like yours is utterly ridiculous, especially if you claim to know a lot about this stuff too even though ironically you don't seem to know how to use IE... heh.

And yes, there's my attempt at pretentious TL;DR verbosity. :lol:

You aren't reading what I wrote are you? I never assumed anything about Vista. Every complaint I have about it comes from using it.

And no its not zealous but if you are going to tell me my complaints are crap and the result of my not knowing about OS than yes I'm going to point out why the very basis of your pov is pure crap - even crappier than vista. I'm sorry you don't like being disproven but that doesn't change the fact that I know what I'm talking about and have several valid reasons, which anyone with a basic understand of OS, can back up for why vista is pure crap

You say you know about OS - why then have you only engaged in personal attacks about people who dislike OS that you like rather than commenting on the strengths and weaknesses of OS? You have yet to say anything about the strengths of vista - and indeed even pointed out proofs of how weak it is (at least how weak it is packaged for the average user) If vista is so great, as you claim, then why do you need to resort to personally attacking me to boost your argument? Why can't you say anything great about it beyond that you are using it without problem which could also just as likely mean that you aren't using it do anything beyond the most basic measures

The truth is there are people who know all about OS and have more than enough personal experience to know that vista is pure crap when compared with the other systems on the market today. It doesn't matter whether or not you think its crap, to accuse someone of not knowing about computers just because they disagree with your opinion is insane

So why don't drop the personal attacks and say something that actually shows why vista is a good system? I've given plenty of reasons for why it sucks and you clearly don't have any idea as to how to stop that - other than rewriting code which i seriously doubt you have any knowldge of. So go on, whats so great about vista. And please tell us why you know more about it than CMU students majoring in computer science. Because its common consensus there that no one with half a brain would ever willing choose vista for their home computer - the vista lab is more of an overflow lab where is the linux lab is always packed

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Aug 2008, 10:54 am

Hahaha, personal attacks? Bloody hell you are deluded. I'll let you into a secret, I've not personally attacked anyone. If you want personal attacks, I could call you something hurtful like "Autistic Spazzmo" but I'm not going to do that since I don't want to be banned. ;)

You think one has knowledge of OSes and/or from some college means they're intelligent enough to know that Vista is crap, and that anyone who think Vista is okay is a brainless idiot. There's no logic to that notion at all, just because they know about certain things or go to a certain place does not mean they'll think the same about Vista. Another friend of mine who's maintaining SQL servers were he works just happens to like Vista too, so your theory of "people with knowledge of computers would agree that Vista is crap" is instantly moot. People who major in computer science can just be as idiotic as any other person, it does not make them intellectually superior after all. And to claim I'm assuming everything is silly, since you also assume that anyone with a bit of knowledge would hate Vista.

And to prove Vista isn't crap? I've been running it for nearly a year and I constantly use it for music sequencing, photoshopping, video editing and gaming, and I've done with without any hitches. No freezing, no BSODs, no nothing. I have it on this PC and my laptop so that says something.

But...

I'm not saying it's a perfect OS, of course like any other OS it has a few flaws... like UAC being switched on by default and being generally useless, but it's easily turned off. Activation is a pain too, but SP1 eased that by turning off that limited functionality mode and Microsoft are planning to get rid of that in general. Drivers were an issue when it first launched, but this isn't a problem now.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 11:07 am

lau wrote:
gamefreak wrote:
lau wrote:
... You really should get your facts straight. ...

Well not a lot of companies waste time writing Linux Drivers. Since all the projects are Open-Source they can't offer as big proceits to the hardware vendors like Microsoft and Mac can. If not enough money goes to the R&D Department at a hardware company they are not going to bother porting existing drivers or coding new ones. Example, Nvidia isn't going to bother making linux graphics drivers because they don't get as much money from an Open-Source project as they do from a corporation like Microsoft and Apple.

All wrong. You seem unaware that Nvidia have always produced Linux drivers. It is a pity that their drivers are not to be made open source (as of a couple of months back), given that the ATI drivers are already open source.

Where companies do not produce Linux drivers in-house, there are queues of programmers waiting to use the hardware details to extend existing drivers - which is far preferable to multiple manufacturers producing their proprietary, buggy, feature poor drivers.

Answer this, Why hasn't Linux gamered much popularity even after 20 years? Why are most people using Windows and OSX. Linux is still beta after this long and will never be put on any other computer than some nerd who whats to learn to use something else other than windows. Here in America we have a free enterprise economy. You buy goods you help America. Using all free software isn't helping America in anyway. We might as well be running State-Run Farms and have Joseph Stallion as president. Free software is fine but sometimes people need support and in latter cases quality. Unless some Linux developers were to pull a Barack Obama and raise a butt-load of money and give it to the hardware vendors the project isn't going anywhere.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 11:36 am

Triangular_Trees wrote:
I am using vista. And its the most annoyingest thing ever. Not to mention half the time it won't let me visit a site I want to because its decided that site is a security risk. never mind the fact that I know nothing bad will happen as I routinely visit that site on other computers- and it won't let me circumvent that.

Also i can't even use "alt control delete" because that causes the screen to flash dark than light again, which is enough to send me into a seizure. Therefor I need to hold down the power button and restart every time my computer begins running really slowly. I can use a computer and browse the internet (no flash player) just fine, but that sudden flashing is horrible and there is no way to avoid it entirely. It took me quite a bit of searching around on the internet just to figure out how to keep it from happening everytime I wanted to open a program or an update became available - one of the first things I did was contact microsoft but they refused to tell me how on the basis that I had only bought vista from them, not the computer it was running on

I've also turned off vista's security and virus programs because of this so now every time I start the internet I'm told my computer is at a severe security risk before I'm allowed to open a website

Then there is also the annoying "checking to solve the problem" feature every time you close a window that isn't responding. Is it that hard to realize that some people would rather just close the window, open a new one, and be on the requested site in 2 seconds, than spend 5 minutes waiting for their computer to tell them why the window wasn't responding

I also am not allowed to begin browsing the internet until microsoft messenger starts up. I've no desire to use microsoft messenger. I spent an hour fighting to get into the recycle bin than erased it from there, but the next time I started up the computer it was back. And now I don't have permission to even change its folder. After all vista knows what programs I want and I, as a user of the computer, have no knowledge of all of what programs I'd like to have running. Whats the point of having an OS that doesn't let you make any decisions?

It not only takes forever to open any program, it takes forever just to view the start program list. And remember how you used to just be able to hover your mouse in programs like word and see all your options. Not any more. You know have to click on each title, wait a full minute or longer for the group to open, then click on what you want and wait another minute for those options to open. So if you are unfamiliar with the choices it might take you 10 minutes just to find the correct tab instead of the 10 seconds it took on older OS

To if one window causes an error, vista will close all your windows, without warning.

I'll enter in a middle of a post, to start a new paragraph and vista advances me to the next page (it just did now). It just as frequently takes you back to the previous page when you hit backspace to erase one mistyped letter, thereby erasing lengthy posts you've worked on and oftentimes making them impossible to retrieve

even more annoying is that if you drag a window even slightly onto another window it will advance the second window to whatever site the first is on - whoever thought that would be an even slightly desirable trait needs to be painfully and excruciatingly tortured until they can experience reality. I've yet to find a way to stop that from happening

It also has severly limited backwards capability which doesn't make the slightest bit of common sense. One of the greatest selling points of a new OS is that previous features will work on them.

Its not surprise at all that many businesses are preferring to keep their old computers for another 5 years than to buy ones with vista

You can turn of the security warnings and set up the computer like you had it with WinXP. You can also upgrade to Service Pack 1 and run CCleaner. You can also can to Add/Remove Programs and remove all windows components you don't want. By default Vista sets up your computer in a Restrictive Mode Setting. That means you are not an administrator and thats why you can't do anything unless you disable UAC.[User Account Control.] Microsoft is tired of computer illiterate people blaming them for their computers being unsecure when its really their own fault of ignorance or stupidity. I do however believe microsoft has gone too far with treating everyone like a dumb***.

I honesty believe the only way that somebody will learn to use a computer correctly is by getting an old computer from a yard sale and messing around with it. As a 9-Year Old I crashed my hand-me-down 486 laptop 7 Times and while doing that learning how to get the laptop up and running again. I tell you what, MS-DOS 6 and Windows For Workgroups 3.11 didn't have Plug and Play Driver Support like we have now. You had to install drivers and programs the hard way. Now as an 18-Year Old i have been in charge of the network and all the computer equipment of the High School i go to for 3-Years. I would have never gotten to where I'm at now using Windows Vista.

If you still hate Vista after a while PM me and I'll help you upgrade to Windows XP.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/12/1 ... ows-vista/

lau
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 5:48 pm

Paddy789 wrote:
I'm using an Alesis Multimix16 and a TASCAM US122l audio/MIDI interface for music... I'm not talking about ordinary soundcards here. Not even my Mbox 2 (which I sold) had 3rd party drivers for it.

You did not mention any of this. Maybe you should be looking at http://www.64studio.com/ http://www.dynebolic.org/ or at least http://ubuntustudio.org/ instead of plain Ubuntu.

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Aug 2008, 5:52 pm

I will try them, thanks for the suggestions.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:09 pm

gamefreak wrote:
Answer this, Why hasn't Linux gamered much popularity even after 20 years?

That would be easy - it has not existed for that long. Linus Torvalds started work on it in 1991. The KDE UI did not exist until 1996, with Gnome a year later.

gamefreak wrote:
Why are most people using Windows and OSX.

Maybe because they are easily conned, by sharp marketing, into parting with their money?

You may want to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux#Mark ... and_uptake

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 11:19 pm

Paddy789 wrote:
Hahaha, personal attacks? Bloody hell you are deluded. I'll let you into a secret, I've not personally attacked anyone. If you want personal attacks, I could call you something hurtful like "Autistic Spazzmo" but I'm not going to do that since I don't want to be banned. ;)

You think one has knowledge of OSes and/or from some college means they're intelligent enough to know that Vista is crap, and that anyone who think Vista is okay is a brainless idiot. There's no logic to that notion at all, just because they know about certain things or go to a certain place does not mean they'll think the same about Vista. Another friend of mine who's maintaining SQL servers were he works just happens to like Vista too, so your theory of "people with knowledge of computers would agree that Vista is crap" is instantly moot. People who major in computer science can just be as idiotic as any other person, it does not make them intellectually superior after all. And to claim I'm assuming everything is silly, since you also assume that anyone with a bit of knowledge would hate Vista.

And to prove Vista isn't crap? I've been running it for nearly a year and I constantly use it for music sequencing, photoshopping, video editing and gaming, and I've done with without any hitches. No freezing, no BSODs, no nothing. I have it on this PC and my laptop so that says something.

But...

I'm not saying it's a perfect OS, of course like any other OS it has a few flaws... like UAC being switched on by default and being generally useless, but it's easily turned off. Activation is a pain too, but SP1 eased that by turning off that limited functionality mode and Microsoft are planning to get rid of that in general. Drivers were an issue when it first launched, but this isn't a problem now.

Congratulations. Y :thumright: you have now proved that not only don't you have a single clue about OS you don't have a single clue about the things you yourself posted.

Ps you wnat to know why vista is crap - read my first post.I gave more than enough reasons and those reasons apply to every vista user. Those are all things that people who have a valued interest in their computer would not want their OS to do, not things that theyd want their os to force themselves on. But then that would require you to read what I'm writing rather than personally attacking me wouldn't it. So now doubt you'll continue to pretend that I haven't given a single negative reason, let alone plenty that are well documented as being nown poroblems with vista, and still keep pretending that saying someone knows nothing about OS just because they dislike one you like is showing a valid reason for why that OS is great.

Oh and don't gloat. it was clear from your first post that you were trolling. You didn't get me angry. All you did was get me to put forth undeniable and easily proven facts that show you don't even have the slightest knowledge of what you are talking about. You my friend, have done nothing but insult yourself
There is nothing I love more than exposing those who like to spew lies and crap because they think it makes themselves look better, especially when those lies are so glaringly obviously than a 12 year could realise they were lies

You should really enter the worst writers in the world contest. All you'd have to do is write like you do in here and you'd win hands down for making no sense at all. And hey then you'd get money for your stupidity which is a lot better than just proving to everyone around that you don't have the slightest
knowledge about the topic you are pretending to be an expert on

*And don't worry I'm not the only one laughing out loud about the fact that you claimed anyone who disliked vista doesn't know a thing about computers or OS, and when the basis of that argument was proven wrong just by the skills and the knowledge of the person you were directing your comments at you had to resort to sputtering personal insults (and insulting the college best well known for producing computer programmers) rather than just admit that the majority of people who do know about computers have valid reasons for why they are either switching to systems like Linux or preferring to keep their computers another 5 years than be faced with dealing with vista on a regular basis. You were wrong, and every post after you were proven wrong has been nothing but a childish attempt to throw about insults to help hide that wrongness, even though such insults do nothing but to make your wrongness and lack of knowlege even more glaringly apparent than they were after your first post into the matter. Back then i thought you actually did have a clue about OS, now you've proved you don't know anything more than a quick google scan would teach, which is in effect, absolutely nothing

Cult_of_SSBB
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2008, 1:37 am

gamefreak wrote:
What is the worst operating system you ever used.

The worst one I have ever used it Windows 98 SE.

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2008, 4:14 am

Oh no, Triangle trees exposed me as a troll and hurt my fweelings! :lol:

If you didn't "care" and knew I was "trolling", then why make at least 3-4 essay posts full of TL;DR boredom? Everyone knows that trolls love negative attention like that and the best bet is to just ignore them. ;)
I wasn't trying to troll, you just seemed to take things out of context because my point of view about some OS is completely different than yours. You can't accept the fact that there's other people who don't think it's s**t so you're resorting to a verbose version of an ad hominem attack, bit silly and childlike for some "programmer". And no, I'm not attacking you in any way despite you thinking so, unless having a different opinion is some form of "personal attack". Then again, I'm fairly honest and politically incorrect, so it could come off as that despite not intending to.

I can summarise most of your posts on this thread as "Vista sucks and you're dumb because you can't see why it sucks", less reading and means the same thing. To be honest though, I wasn't arsed to properly read any of your posts.

Continue to do silly childish attempts to insult my intelligence and crappy writing skills if you want, but it's ultimately wasted on me mate. ;)

And back on topic: I personally didn't like Windows 98 either. Glad I don't have to stick up with "illegal operation" errors anymore.