Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2009, 1:47 pm

Ive been craving some more Anime recently, but dont know of any series that matches up with what I want that I haven't already seen. Id be grateful if you guys could help me pick something out, given this information.

My favorites to date are (in no order):

Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Boogiepop Phantom
Ghost in the Shell
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Lain
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ive recently tried Elfen Lied and Mnemosyne, but gave up each after a few episodes. I found that I couldn't give a damn about the first's romantic entanglements, and the latter's gratuitous fan service was, while awesome, a cover for a lack of plot, or any point of any kind to the entire thing. Full Metal Alchemist was a bit too slow for me, though I did get through most of it (Ill likely pick it up again at some point). Hellsing wasn't bad either, but it was fluff - ultimately nothing was achieved and no intellectual, philosophical, or political stance of consequence was examined. The Big O tried really hard and I guess that's something, but its plot was redundant and forced, and practically all of the characters (except the android!) were unbelievable.

I am currently on episode 4 of Code Geass. Its kept me interested so far, but its also managed to spit out a major plot twist each episode.

I (typically) like realistic aesthetic styles, and plots that will have me reexamining the series for days. I can not stand series without a conclusion - I do not have the time, energy, or even the desire to sit through hundreds of episodes that were obviously dragged out to maximize profit. A definitive end to a series is a good thing.

Something that is intellectually challenging is also heavily desired.

aka010101
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2009, 2:14 pm

You are in luck, as a bit of an anime nut myself, i know of a few good ones

Ok, if you liked evangelion and FLCL, i have a good one for you, Gurren lagann. Its by the same guys, and provided you don't take it too seriously, is a TON of fun, and very epic :P
Second on my list would have to be Gundam 00. Its pretty similar to code geass in that it has a very tangled plotline.
Thats about it off of the top of my head, i'll post again if i think of anything else.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Boogiepop Phantom
Ghost in the Shell
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Lain
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Quote:
I (typically) like realistic aesthetic styles, and plots that will have me reexamining the series for days.

Based on the bolded entries and that quote: I'd recommend "Ergo Proxy."

L.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 5:20 pm

RahXephon, it's similar to Evangelion, but without all of the annoying, whiny angst and it has a satisfying ending.

Full Metal Alchemist (Target's now selling the entire first half of the series for $40).

And a good place to find the most recent and top rated shows is here. I've borrowed Mushi-Shi recently, but I've yet to start watching it.

JimmyNeurtonRules
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 5:28 pm

Gurren Lagann
One Piece

MrMisanthrope
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2009, 5:32 pm

Urusei Yatsura

Best... Silliness... Ever

Taihen!

True Liberty Expressed as Fiction: http://www.bigheadpress.com/tpbtgn

invisiblem0nsters
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2009, 5:35 pm

JimmyNeurtonRules wrote:
One Piece

Seconded.

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2009, 6:20 pm

Death_of_Pathos wrote:
I can not stand series without a conclusion - I do not have the time, energy, or even the desire to sit through hundreds of episodes that were obviously dragged out to maximize profit. A definitive end to a series is a good thing.

One Piece has 390 episodes...

Further responses to come, off to class now.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 4:04 am

.hack.....except for lott

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 4:09 am

I am currently watching Gankutsuou, which is basically an anime sci-fi retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo. So far, I am enjoying it, but it might be a little too colourful and maybe not quite realistic enough for your liking, but it has a very dark flavour to it. And if you have actually read the original novel (like I have), it's interesting to see what was taken out, put in, and so on.

On sabbatical...

BlackjackGabbiani
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2009, 6:05 am

Death_of_Pathos wrote:
Lain
Neon Genesis Evangelion

If you liked those, I suggest Digimon Tamers.

No, I'm not kidding. It was written by the same guy who wrote Lain, and plays out like Eva for ten-year-olds, including some VERY direct references.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 11:24 am

Some of the ones I like are "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya", best watched first in its original broudcast order, where it finishes off with episode 6, might sound crazy but actualy is realy good, unless you like the idea of the last episode you see to be realy Anti-climactic. Actualy most of the stuff that Kyoto Animation has done are great, including Fumoffu which you said earlier, and Kyoto Animation like to chuck in refferences to there other anime, the series that they are doing at the moment is Clannad (After Story) which is curently on the tops of many lists at the moment. And also some funny ones are Azumanga Daioh wich is hillarious and Hayate no Gotoku (Hayate the Combat Butler) is funny and chock full of funny references.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 3:23 pm

Death_of_Pathos wrote:
FLCL

If you like this you'll love "Excel Saga". It has the same kind of "8O" that FLCL has (absolute zaniness with a purpose) although it makes slightly less sense (OK i'm lying. It makes no sense). I should warn you that the last episode of the series was intentionally made to be banned from Japanese television (it's extremely violent and exactly one minute too long to fit in its time slot, just to mess with people).

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2009, 4:08 pm

soul eater is the best anime i've ever seen (you'll love the abstract drawing ^^)
offtopic: DocStrange, your avatar looks a hell of alot like sasuke (if you look next to it not concentrating on it but still seeing it)

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2009, 9:33 am

Ive seen Excel Saga. I can't see myself watching Digimon Tamers.

I started watching Ergo Proxy (it has potential) and watched a bit more of Code Geass.

I discovered TV Tropes and did some browsing. So far Ive come up with these possibles:

Suzumiya Harui (already suggested)
Ghost Hound
Tsukhime
Monster

Any suggestions on those?

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 2:48 pm

AKIRA ! !!

anything by miyazaki

also, memories and steamboy, by akira-creator.