Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TheSnarkKnight
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2011, 5:38 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Oh, I forgot - anything on The History Channel that has NOTHING TO DO WITH HISTORY!! !! !! !! !! That is, sh** like Ice Road Truckers, Top Shot, and anything else in the present that has nothing to do with the past!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

All of the Discovery channels have gone down the toilet. Discovery has a thing for blue collar reality shows (especially ones in Alaska); History Channel has the same deal; TLC has John and Kate (or whatever it is now); Animal Planet has that one Pit Boss show that focuses more on Hollywood life than pit bull rescue, and The Science Channel is now showing Firefly. Just about the only one that still has any substance is the Travel Channel.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 5:56 pm

TheSnarkKnight wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Oh, I forgot - anything on The History Channel that has NOTHING TO DO WITH HISTORY!! !! !! !! !! That is, sh** like Ice Road Truckers, Top Shot, and anything else in the present that has nothing to do with the past!

All of the Discovery channels have gone down the toilet. Discovery has a thing for blue collar reality shows (especially ones in Alaska); History Channel has the same deal; TLC has John and Kate (or whatever it is now); Animal Planet has that one Pit Boss show that focuses more on Hollywood life than pit bull rescue, and The Science Channel is now showing Firefly. Just about the only one that still has any substance is the Travel Channel.

Makes me wanna cry. :cry:

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 9:03 am

Katie - Her talk show has too many depressing subjects. It has been cancelled.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2014, 10:17 am

The Simpsons

In my opinion, the current iteration is a soulless beast that is no longer satirical or passing social comment, but merely trying very very hard to remain pop-culturally relevant (re the increasingly lengthy couch 'gags') to gloss over sub-par writing at best. I won't bore people with my many examples of this as I think the Dead Homer Society fulfils that role quite adequately.

Considering the majority of the voice actors sound rather bored *, or are losing their ability to act and maintain their pitch **, as well as falling ratings and a general apathy ***, and more and more unfinished or nonsensical plots, FOX really need to, to quote Frozen, let it go.

Might've been better if the Simpsons Movie had been the final note in the series...

-----

* Hank Azaria and Harry Shearer have been noticeably vocal in doing other projects away from Springfield; Shearer has been recently heavily marketing a TV series in which he appears as Richard Nixon.

** Yeardley Smith, Julie Kavner, Pamela Hayden and to a lesser degree Hank Azaria and Tress McNaille; anyone notice certain characters have been sounding strange or have been getting less lines or appearances? Duffman wasn't killed just as a rating's stunt!

*** Sky One, who used to make a big deal out of promoting the Simpsons and getting the American-pace episodes here in the UK fast, no longer seem to advocate the show - it was the same case with Futurama's post-cancellation return (took nearly two years for them to actually air it!)

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 12:18 pm

So-called "reality television" needs to be shut down for good. If I wanted reality, I'd look out the window.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 1:41 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
So-called "reality television" needs to be shut down for good. If I wanted reality, I'd look out the window.

Amen, Many TV channels have switched their programming to this. It's annoying because when they do it often leaves the original audience abandoned.
MTV, Weather, Syfy, History, TLC, A&E are prime examples of staged "reality" shows replacing the superior programming that gave the channels their very name.
While we are at it shut down E! and MTV completely, they are keeping people famous who's fame is on borrowed time.

Last edited by AntDog on 02 Feb 2014, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 1:57 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:

Jersey Shore, Geordie Shore, now there's freaking Warsaw Shore... I'd be happy if we could do away with all of that forever.

coffeebean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 2:05 pm

Quatermass wrote:
The Simpsons- Jumped the shark over a decade ago.

South Park- I used to love it years ago, but when I watch it today, I wonder how the hell it came to be on the air in the first place. How it is still going now is beyond me.

Can't think of anything else, offhand...

I think South Park came on the air around the time when animation was first pushing the limits of acceptable profanity and "offensiveness." That past, it's no longer edgy and is just profane.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 2:07 pm

The Simpsons

What was once a great show featuring everyday situations, well written plots and character development, has degenerated into a show with one-dimensional characters, nonsensical plots and overuse of "generic" guest actors to cover up bad writing.

Family Guy

Family Guy peaked around season 5-8, but has since turned into a preachy show that's all about Seth MacFarlane's political views.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm

AntDog wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:

Amen, Many TV channels have switched their programming to this. It's annoying because when they do it often leaves the original audience abandoned.
MTV, Weather, Syfy, History, TLC, A&E are prime examples of staged "reality" shows replacing the superior programming that gave the channels their very name.
While we are at it shut down E! and MTV completely, they are keeping people famous who's fame is on borrowed time.
I haven't regularly watched MTV since the 2002 VMAs...and it wasn't that good a show. So much popular music is 100% crap these days. :(

Rakshasa72
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 5:09 am

Nice Necro Thread.

Cancel all infomercials.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 6:12 am

The Simpsons needs to be laid to rest. It's been going for over 25 years, and if you go by what many of the fans say, the last 15 haven't been so great for it. It still makes me laugh occasionally, but there's no way you can keep a show going for more than about 5 seasons without eventually running out of ideas.

Similarly, Family Guy and all its various offshoots should probably be canceled as well. The episodes get old after literally one viewing, and I've heard that even Seth McFarlane is growing tired of milking that cash cow. A lot of people don't like Family Guy because they claim it's offensive, I just don't like it because there's no depth to its humor.

Also, any reality programs that aren't at least somewhat informational in terms of content.

RustDogofAus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2014, 6:37 am

Sarah Palin's Alaska, Yukon Men and Duck Dynasty: Promoting animal cruelty and ignorance when it comes to the ecosystem, homophobia and xenophobia. Let's just say History, Animal Planet and Discovery need to get their priorities straight - some fact checking wouldn't hurt either.
The Biggest Loser: a cruel reality T.V. show about losing weight, humiliating people and whittling down their already low self-esteem courtesy of people who have never walked a mile in their shoes.
The Dog Whisperer: Cesar Millan abuses and traumatises dogs, these animals are hit, electrocuted and strangled by this man who claims to abhor animal cruelty - the result is a ticking time bomb of an animal.
Honey Boo Boo: stupid people being stupid - promoting stupidity.
Survivor: make them shut up...
Family Guy: Although I do enjoy the show, it has gone downhill and really needs to end as it is just getting cruel and vile for attention. Let the show go out with a bang, finish it just right and it will be timeless.
Game of Thrones: for the sheer fact that to date there has been 31,653sq ft of animal skin used - for aesthetic purposes only.
Every Celebrity News Show: Seriously who cares? No wonder celebrities do half the crazy stuff they do... and a little privacy is a courtesy.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 2:33 pm

TV execs make a lot of questionable decisions nowadays. I don't watch TV anymore but I will say this one thing. It's all gotten out of hand at this point so every show should just go off the air then they should reset the whole network and then start over. I treat TV nowadays like I treat most of pop culture as a video game I play. The game I play "pop culture" early on looks like a masterpiece but halfway through the game it starts looking like crap. Were the designers running out of ideas? Levels start becoming bland and tedious while the quality and resolution start to fade. Today at this point in the game, it feels like they were just rushing through development with no care for substance. I feel like I'm playing a really really bad beta version, a mere shadow of this "unfinished" game's former glory. There's no love, no effort, in this game like there used to be back many many levels past. How terrible is it? The graphics style of Bubsy 3D with cutscene animation and plot a la Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, gameplay ripped from the most terrible platformers ever made, and unforgivable difficulty similar to Silver Surfer on NES. That's how bad pop culture has become to me. The only reason I still play "this game" is because I can replay any level anytime or at certain times.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2014, 10:11 pm

Reality shows, regardless of the subject, would be GONE. Most annoying is that History channel is damn near exclusively reality shows. :x

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 3:01 am

I don't mind reality shows if they have a decent informational aspect to them, or portray things in a realistic, "raw", unscripted manner, but the ones that exist just to be exploitative and make a show out of people's lives should be cancelled. In general though, I think there are just too many reality shows out there, and they should really pare back the number of ones still running.