Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 9:28 pm

Pobbles wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Pobbles wrote:
Watched this last night, then KICKED MYSELF for not seeing it at the cinema first.

Beautiful, mesmerising, and quite gripping. Wonderful musical score too.

AND almost entirely inaccurate….

Agreed. Suspension of disbelief is a prerequisite for most movies.

~ahem~ Yes, I have to say mea culpa, I enjoyed Titanic and Braveheart, which are two of the most historically inaccurate movies ever made.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 11:46 pm

coffeebean wrote:
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm excited to. I love sci-fi, especially the movies that don't focus on lasers and explosions.

Watch Zowie Bowie's Moon if you haven't already. Lovely film, if you can handle melancholy. (Wonderful score by Clint Mansell too)

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
~ahem~ Yes, I have to say mea culpa, I enjoyed Titanic and Braveheart, which are two of the most historically inaccurate movies ever made.

Even though I forgave the inaccuracies in Gravity, I have double standards. These double standards hampered my enjoyment of Whitehouse Down (which clearly didn't take itself seriously).

Pobbles wrote:
WTF is this s**t? Russian kit in the presidential limo? Really?

For example :lol:

Back on topic, inaccuracies aside, the director of Gravity accomplished something quite astonishing... by making the first movie featuring Bullock or Clooney that didn't make me want to headbutt either character.

Has a movie won a Nobel Peace Prize before? :lol:

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 8:44 am

If you think Gravity required suspension of disbelief then watch Armageddon, where you REALLY need it.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 9:51 am

Saw this in 3D when it came out. I first set my eyes on it after seeing the seemingly "one-take" trailer at the IMAX, and reacted like this - 8O

When seeing it in 3D, it didn't disappoint. Same face too. 8O

Slowly slurping the drink as it was so bloody tense. One of the most visually outstanding and brilliantly tense films I've seen for a while.

So what if it's scientifically inaccurate? In all honesty, Alfred Hitchcock would've made a film like this given half the chance. I'm sure he'd have loved and given it a round of applause.

micfranklin wrote:
If you think Gravity required suspension of disbelief then watch Armageddon, where you REALLY need it.

^ Exactly. I remember reading an Astronaut's only quibble being that Sandra Bullock wasn't wearing a nappy when she took off her suit. This Astronaut counteracted her own argument, by saying how it wouldn't of advertised the film very well seeing Sandra Bullock in Incontinence pants. :P

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2014, 10:12 am

I did kinda think it was lucky that Sandra Bullock managed to get from wherever she was to the Chinese space station, but to be fair if she just died then the movie would be over like 20 minutes in.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 4:28 pm

micfranklin wrote:
I did kinda think it was lucky that Sandra Bullock managed to get from wherever she was to the Chinese space station, but to be fair if she just died then the movie would be over like 20 minutes in.

There have been accounted stories of similar predicaments. Some live, some die. Some are never publicized.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2014, 8:36 pm

Alternative wrote:
micfranklin wrote:

There have been accounted stories of similar predicaments. Some live, some die. Some are never publicized.

I never knew of these at all. Fascinating, to say the least.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 6:53 am

micfranklin wrote:
I never knew of these at all. Fascinating, to say the least.

I remember seeing a Documentary about one documented catastrophe. I think it was a malfunction/fire rather than flying space debris.

Suspension of disbelief aside, it's about as accurate and plausible as a 90 minute story (within the three act structure of a film narrative) will allow.

Plus, a real game-changer in VFX. Christopher Nolan's upcoming Interstellar might top that, no doubt though he'd be snubbed "once again" at the Oscars. :wink:

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 9:29 am

"Story trumps science" so they say here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OIpAMt3M80

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 3:21 pm

Most overrated movie ever. That is all.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 5:48 pm

so was gravity educational?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 6:01 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
so was gravity educational?

As to scientific and spaceflight, no.
As to storytelling, yes.

I don't think Hitchcock would have ever touched a script like this. It had suspense, but not the nerve wracking kind he was famous for. I'm sure Kubrick would have rejected it out of hand for the stretches in logic and accuracy (it is never explained why the ground based communication system didn't work after the satellite based system was knocked out.)

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2014, 10:16 am

I don't know about educational but it kept me on the edge of my seat.