Page 369 of 414 [ 6616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372 ... 414  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 12:22 am

Fleabag S1 E1&2

Nearly choked to death laughing.
I'm quite sure it's based on my life.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 10:42 am

A Fine Romance (1981)

Episodes 1 & 2 from the first series. This is a sitcom starring Judi Dench that would be regarded by many people as old school or ancient history these days, but it's still very funny. I'd rather watch this than anything produced in the last 30 years or so.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 11:23 am

I saw Fleabag episodes 3 and 4 last night as well.

More later.

It was sooo relatable.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 11:58 am

Archer is ending next season. Recapping the series.

Finished Season one.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 6:53 pm

It's Okay to Not Be Okay (2020)

I watched episode 1 and 2, Thursday night, and Friday night. I started watching episode 3, and decided to started over.
Some of the subtitles are slightly to long and appear too fast for me.

We have a "children's author" that writes dark fairy tales. She very popular. So up her up, there is a scene in episode 1 where a child and her mother ask her for an autograph. She gives the girl an autograph. The little girl says she is so pretty that she must be a princess. Then she shares that her mother calls her princess because she is pretty. The author gives her a quick smile and suggests a picture of the two of them.
While the mother eagerly gets out her phone, the author quietly tells the little girl that in her stories, the pretty one is always a witch. Then the mother says ready? The author says that she (herself) is a pretty witch. The mother says SMILE! The author smiles and the little girl screams in terror as the picture is snapped and the little girl runs away. The author, unfazed, thanks them as the mother runs after her daughter.
Roald Dahl or Dr. Seuss? I think I read that neither of them cared for children. It's not that simple.

There is a man who cares for his older autistic brother. The younger brother works in a care facility and provides empathic care for the patient. He is who everyone seems to go to because he cares and handles them with respect, even when they vomit on him or slap him.

The author and the young man's lives intersect. First when she is smoking on the grounds of a hospital where she is to read one of her stories to the children. Then again when he saves her from being strangled to death by a disturbed man at the same hospital. She tries to cut the man, she says a small cut, but instead the young man catches the knife in his hand. Her publisher pays everyone off who she acts "crazy" around to to. Why did I put "crazy" in quotes? She is a bit "eccentric." Now that deserved quotes. Her publisher is a bit funny trying to keep up with her. The world revolves around her in everything she does and knows. It's more complicated than that.

Finally, Seo Ye-Ji, who plays the author Go Moon-Young is so beautiful. She must be a witch.

That was all in episode 1, which is introductions, so no real spoilers. I did not cover the brother who is on the spectrum and like dinosaurs, and Go Moon-Young's books, and drawing in them.

This likely too long. Sorry. It's my last one and no links (!). :)

edit:
I am such a liar. I cannot help it.
Wikipedia: It's Okay to Not Be Okay
And the subtitles say her name is Ko Mun-yeong. Interesting...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 11:48 pm

Fleabag S1 E4,5,6 and S2 E1,2,3

Bawled my eyes out at the end of S1 E6.

Thank you Magna.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 12:07 am

American Born Chinese.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 12:44 pm

The Bill

Two episodes from 1988. This was one of the best British TV police series, which ran for about a quarter of a century. It was considerably better than Z Cars or Dixon of Dock Green, for example.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 5:39 am

Fear The Walking Dead.
Superman And Lois.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 9:26 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Fleabag S1 E1&2

Your comment made me smile. Thank you.

Clarification. I smiled not because you nearly choked to death. I smiled because of your straight forward engagement with the show.

I have watched It's Okay to Not Be Okay up to episode 7. Currently watching 8.
I really like the way the characters are developing, and I have no idea where the story will go, The story and the filming/photography are at times very creative.

The titles of the episode have links to fairy tales.

There may be a ghost, just like in a fairy tale. How can I resist the mystery of that?

The subtitles are sometimes too fast or unexpected for me to read, so I need to back up to re-read.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 10:08 am

pcgoblin wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Fleabag S1 E1&2

Clarification. I smiled not because you nearly choked to death. I smiled because of your straight forward engagement with the show.

I really like the way the characters are developing, and I have no idea where the story will go, The story and the filming/photography are at times very creative.

There may be a ghost, just like in a fairy tale. How can I resist the mystery of that?

The subtitles are sometimes too fast or unexpected for me to read, so I need to back up to re-read.

I've never heard of It's Okay.
I might have to check that out especially if there's a ghost! :skull:

I finished Fleabag and I'm still processing.
It hit me so hard I feel like I'm in a daze.
There's just soooo much to deconstruct.

I'm quite sure the writer was inspired by Charlotte Brontë's Villette.
That, or she's me in a parallel universe.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 8:40 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
pcgoblin wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Fleabag S1 E1&2

I've never heard of It's Okay.
I might have to check that out especially if there's a ghost! :skull:

I finished Fleabag and I'm still processing.
It hit me so hard I feel like I'm in a daze.
There's just soooo much to deconstruct.

I'm quite sure the writer was inspired by Charlotte Brontë's Villette.
That, or she's me in a parallel universe.

I'm on episode 15 of It's Okay to Not Be Okay. I thought by the end of episode 14, everything was falling into place, but episode 15 starts with some more revelations. It is a murder mystery as well, and so many of the storylines involve parents. Some many characters are shells presented to the world with deep personal secrets about their parents. I really appreciate the depth of the story and characters, even the ones that are more surface level.

The show has been in my watch list since it first appeared on Netflix, and I'm just getting to it this last week. The title is appropriate.

Thank you for your response.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 10:39 pm

Gotham Knights.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 10:19 am

tb86 wrote:
About many months ago probably at the beginning of the year I bought the first 4 volumes of the 90's X-Men animated series and I just recently pre order the rest of them and I will be watching them soon. Despite being out of date and having corny and wierd dialouge(Jubilee and Storm) this show is fricking awesome and although Batman TAS is the best superhero tv series, I think X-Men could rank as second probably tied with Justice leage Unlimited.

I remember watching those with my sons. It was our thing for a while. We has a friend named Julie, and my youngest son called her Jubilee. She and her husband liked that. We checked out books from the library and looked at them together. Happy memories. We remember them as "fricking awesome" too.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 10:50 am

Just watched episode 15 this morning and started watching the last episode.
What I've noticed about this series is because it is only in Korean, I have to read the subtitles, and sometimes rewind to read them again, it has been very much like reading a book with moving illustrations. It's fitting because the story is just as in-depth as any book I've read, whether it be Shirley Jackson novel or Harry Potter. Because Korean television rarely have a season 2 (sorry The Extraordinary Attorney Woo), if it is well written, it will have a complete story. I don't have to be concerned that it will be canceled before the story is complete. This has been one of the more satisfying series I've watched. There are multiple stories weaving through the main story and each story has a conclusion. I'm not speaking about episodes, but characters development. There twists and turns, and many times I've thought "well that has been resolved, or near resolution. How will the remaining 6, 4, 2 episodes fill it out?" It does so by adding new information I did not see coming. Because fairy tales either have a dark ending or a happy ending, I'm never sure how it is going to end. I know people are sometimes disappoint when a movie does not contain all the parts of the novel. That's a difference in the media. It seems this story does an excellent job of skipping the novel and providing a complete story like a novel might.

It's Okay to Not Be Okay (2020)

S1, Ep1 - The Boy Who Fed On Nightmares
S1, Ep2 - The Lady In Red Shoes
S1, Ep3 - Sleeping witch
S1, Ep4 - Zombie Kid
S1, Ep5 - Rapunzel And The Cursed Castle
S1, Ep6 - Bluebeard's Secret
S1, Ep7 - The Cheerful Dog
S1, Ep8 - Beauty And The Beast
S1, Ep9 - The King Has Donkey Ears
S1, Ep10 - The Girl Who Cried Wolf
S1, Ep11 - The Ugly Duckling
S1, Ep12 - Romeo and Juliet
S1, Ep13 - The Father of the Two Sisters
S1, Ep14 - The Hand, The Monkfish
S1, Ep15 - A Tale of Two Brothers
S1, Ep16 - Finding The Real Face

I personally found the series to be very satisfying, meaning it speaks to me. But it may not speak to everyone. That's okay. I'm not trying to say it is a story for everyone. Just sharing my point of view.
:)

Edit - Finished episode 16. Starting Little Women (2022)
Wikipedia Synopsis: Little Women (2022 TV series)

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 4:21 pm

The Bill

Four more episodes from 1988. These episodes are only 25 minutes long, but somehow they work really well, something that's probably not easy to pull off, as can be seen with similar length episodes of The Protectors from the early 1970s, where the production team didn't do a very good job at all with this format.

The police characters are really well drawn, and the interactions and tensions between them are at least as interesting as the crime fighting investigations they pursue. My favourite character so far is Detective Sergeant Ted Roach, an irascible Welshman with a very convincing accent, played by an Irishman called Tony Scannell.