Page 1220 of 1273 [ 20366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1217, 1218, 1219, 1220, 1221, 1222, 1223 ... 1273  Next

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 1:46 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
Last night we watched:

Renfield [2023]
<=>"Sucks to be him"

We both liked it a lot! Very well done, by everyone involved...on and behind screen.

Definitely >:<R E C O M M E N D E D !>:<

The director intended it to be a direct sequel to Dracula [1931] and I think did a good job. Cage's Dracula even strongly resembles Lugosi's (and the Renfields in the two movies also look alike). I don't think it would be amiss to watch the two films together.

If you do watch the 1931 film, however, I recommend watching the original version, not the one with a score by Philip Glass added. I like Glass's music but the versions of the film I've seen with his score have the music so loud it interferes with the movie.

Good to know and it sound good.
I would venture to say it is quite good.

I won't say it is profound, or anything like that...though it might be, it's just we were enjoying the movie too much to examine it critically.

Having recently watched Fantasia and Fantasia 2000, last night we watched:

Allegro non troppo [1976] We watched it in Italian, with English subtitles.
<=>"Rollover, Beethoven"

Sorry, the trailer above does not have English subtitles but some copies of the movie provide them. You can get a feel for the "seriousness" of the live-action dialog by seeing the movie quotes IMDb offers from the film.

So, beautiful classical music, wonderful animation, and all sandwiched into sheer silliness.

The movie is a lot of fun! Fun! Fun!R E C O M M E N D E DFun! Fun!

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 5:37 pm

Army of Darkness (1992)

This film is so much fun.

Watched on Screwhead Edition Blu-Ray. I originally saw this on the Sci-Fi channel years ago. I saw it a few times on the Sci-Fi channel. The first time I started midway through. I appreciated the skeleton model animation.

I should have watched The Evil Dead 2 first, for continuity. I'll watch it next.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 8:28 pm

The Evil Dead 2 (1987)
Watched from Blu-Ray

This movie initially confused me, when I first watched it a few years ago. I did not realize that the beginning was a recap of what happened in the original film. I thought it was more of a remake. Then I learned the recap was not a verbatim recap, because it had to be re-filmed. Sam Raimi could not use the original film as a recap, because he did not have rights to the original print. The recap only contains Ash and his girlfriend, and not the other two characters. The recap varies a bit from the original story in other areas as well. Eventually, the new story picks up where the original film ends.

On the scale of goofy versus scary, this is less goofy, but it is still has it's funny moments. It's not as goofy as Army of the Dead. It ends where Army of the Dead begins, Ash, his car, and a tree falling through a time vortex. Again, by the time Sam made Army of the Dead, there were slight changes in costumes. I'm not going to let that bother me. If Sam were George Lucas, he would have inserted the start of Army of the Dead as the ending of The Evil Dead 2. The differences would have bugged George too much to let it be.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2023, 9:05 pm

Lust och fägring stor

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113720

The kind of cumming-of-age movie that could only have been made in Sweden and nowhere else. If Hollywood does a remake of this one, I'll eat my hat.

Quote:

In Malmö, Sweden during the Second World War, Stig is a 15-year-old pupil on the verge of adulthood, and Viola is 37 years old and his teacher. He is attracted by her beauty and maturity, and she is drawn to him by his youth and innocence. At the same time, Stig becomes friends with Viola's husband Kjell, who teaches him classical music, and the affair continues, even after Kjell understands that Stig has a relationship with his wife, which Kjell does nothing to prevent...

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 8:08 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
From 2015 Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation
Very well done action flick

agreed.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2023, 6:35 pm

delvian wrote:

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
The Father starring Sir Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Coleman.

Did you enjoy it? I'm interested in seeing this one...

Yes I did. It's worth approximately 90 minutes of your time.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2023, 8:04 am

pcgoblin wrote:
The Evil Dead 2 (1987)
Watched from Blu-Ray

This movie initially confused me, when I first watched it a few years ago. I did not realize that the beginning was a recap of what happened in the original film. I thought it was more of a remake. Then I learned the recap was not a verbatim recap, because it had to be re-filmed. Sam Raimi could not use the original film as a recap, because he did not have rights to the original print. The recap only contains Ash and his girlfriend, and not the other two characters. The recap varies a bit from the original story in other areas as well. Eventually, the new story picks up where the original film ends.

On the scale of goofy versus scary, this is less goofy, but it is still has it's funny moments. It's not as goofy as Army of the Dead. It ends where Army of the Dead begins, Ash, his car, and a tree falling through a time vortex. Again, by the time Sam made Army of the Dead, there were slight changes in costumes. I'm not going to let that bother me. If Sam were George Lucas, he would have inserted the start of Army of the Dead as the ending of The Evil Dead 2. The differences would have bugged George too much to let it be.

Awesome!

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2023, 9:52 pm

Lady Vengeance (2005)

Korean film written and directed by Park Chan-wook
Watched from Blu-Ray. Not sure if it is steaming anywhere.
The Blu-Ray I have has two versions, the original full color release, and a release where it gradually turns into a black and white film. The black and white images are very striking. However, I watched the original release. I may watch the black and white version tonight, or wait until tomorrow.

Wikipedia: Lady Vengaence - Plot

The music in this film is quite beautiful. It's orchestral, and sometimes choral. The main theme is a melancholy waltz.

It stars Lee Yeong-ae, when she was 34. It is an excellent performance. I mention previously I just watched her in Inspector Koo on Netflx. She was excellent in that as well.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 7:05 am

(next morning)
Watched the Fade to Black and White version of Lady Vengeance.

Parts are funny. I don't think I mentioned that.

One thing I put together was a symbolic meaning for the ending scene, in the alley, holding a cake she has made, standing with her daughter, with the snow falling, and she buries her head in the cake, eating it. I always thought this was just funny, and goofy. But this ties to when she is released from prison and offered Tofu. Offering Tofu is a gesture for starting the life out of prison (there's more to it, but I'm keeping it short). Her actions and the cake echo what happens earlier in the film when released prisoners eat their Tofu. I also noticed that one of the blocks of Tofu has the same embossed design that Geum-ja's cake has. I JUST realized this. It changes it from what appears to be a funny moment to a happy/bittersweet moment.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 7:38 am

pcgoblin wrote:
Lady Vengeance (2005)

Korean film written and directed by Park Chan-wook
Watched from Blu-Ray. Not sure if it is steaming anywhere.
The Blu-Ray I have has two versions, the original full color release, and a release where it gradually turns into a black and white film. The black and white images are very striking. However, I watched the original release. I may watch the black and white version tonight, or wait until tomorrow.

Wikipedia: Lady Vengaence - Plot

The music in this film is quite beautiful. It's orchestral, and sometimes choral. The main theme is a melancholy waltz.

It stars Lee Yeong-ae, when she was 34. It is an excellent performance. I mention previously I just watched her in Inspector Koo on Netflx. She was excellent in that as well.

Sounds interesting. I remember when the movie came out.

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 12:28 pm

Palm Springs (2020)

Lighthearted romantic comedy with some sci-fi thrown in. It was fun! I laughed, I'd watch it again. I rated it 4 out 5 stars on Letterboxd.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 2:11 pm

Barbie 2023

I was not sure if I would enjoy this film or not. I saw the film purely based on Greta Gerwig, the director and co-writer, along with her husband Noah Baumbach. I'm a fan of both their work. I was not disappointed. It was a fun, sometimes silly film, and it was a film that dealt with the real problems people face, and what it is to be human with all the complications of being alive and being human. The script was very good. The production was very good.

Plus, I learned a little about the history of the Barbie toy line. Excellent film Ms. Greta Gerwig.

Favorite small things about the movie. The dog that poops. Will Ferrell, who always commits to his character.
Midge Barbie
and by extension... Alan, played by Michael Cera. Alan and Midge were the Happy Barbie Collection, withdrawn from the market.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2023, 7:41 am

The Great Santini
great role for Robert Duvall.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2023, 3:07 pm

Gambling Ship (a 1930s film starring Cary Grant as a gangster wanting to leave the gangster life)

The War Wagon (a 1960s Western starring John Wayne and Kirk Douglas)

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2023, 9:48 am

Phantom of the opera
the musical.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2023, 8:13 am

Timecop
Kind of fun. I enjoyed it.