Page 1267 of 1270 [ 20307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1264, 1265, 1266, 1267, 1268, 1269, 1270  Next

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2024, 7:37 pm

TCM 30 Anniversary (on Max) film #7 of 441

A Day's Pleasure (1919)

Charlie Chaplin, Edna Purviance, and a very young and uncredited Jackie Coogan (The Kid and Uncle Fester).

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2024, 8:13 pm

TCM 30 Anniversary (on Max) film #8 of 441

A Dog's Life (1918)

Charlie Chaplin, Edna Purviance, and Sydney Chaplin as the Lunchwagon owner.

Sometimes when I watch silent comedy, I'm so taken by the story telling and the acting, the setups are so ingenious. I forget it is funny.

YouTube: Charlie Chaplin - A Dog's Life (1918)

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 8:02 am

Seksmisja / Sexmission (1984) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088083/

It starts similar to Idiocracy: two men agree to be placed into a 3-year hibernation. But, there has been a war, and when they wake up 50 years later, they are the only two males in a new underground society composed exclusively of women.

The movie takes a few pokes at feminism and communism.

I recommend it. It is a good science fiction comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBV1oOZjw3k

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 11:23 am

Oppenheimer (2023)

Finally saw the film on Peacock.
It is always good to see good storytelling in cinema.
I enjoyed it.

Several citizens of the Wrong Planet has seen the film. I won't add any more.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 5:39 pm

Last night I watched:

Infinite [2021]
<=>"Grief. Hallucinations. Pride. Visions & Reminiscence"

Beautiful visuals and spectacular action in a Science Fiction movie.

If you can ignore the so-called "science" you might find it easy to enjoy the film.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 7:37 pm

the ministry of ungentlemanly warfare

loosely based on actual events. I noticed one goof, one character sang "Mac the knife" a decade before the English lyrics had even been written. a minor gaffe for sure, but emblematic with how they depicted things with license.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2024, 8:58 am

Unbelievable Adventures of Italians in Russia https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070439/

Probably the most madcap stunts of any movie ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHWQr77axHA

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 2:19 pm

TCM 30 Anniversary (on Max) film #9 of 441

A Hard Day's Night (1964)

What a great film. What great music.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 5:09 pm

TCM 30 Anniversary (on Max) film #10 of 441

A King in New York (1957)

It is very much a Chaplin film. There is visual humor that could have come straight out of one of his silent films.
Did I love it? No, but it was okay.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 8:03 pm

Itsy Bitsy.

A giant spider accompanies a stolen artifact to a wealthy, aged collector's isolated home, where it terrorizes him, his new nurse, and her children. Seen better.

angelsonthemoon
Raven
Raven

19 May 2024, 2:39 am

Fever Pitch

Watching this I couldn't help but view sports as the guy's special interest. I won't spoil the rest but this made me laugh, the couple was great, it's just really underrated in general. Drew Barrymore is the queen of romcoms and Jimmy Fallon was perfect in the role.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2024, 3:16 am

The Breach.

Cosmic horror film, in which a local police chief investigates the gruesome death of a physicist who had been renting an isolated house, only discover the scientist had opened a door for god-awful doppelgangers to pass into this world - - bursting through the bodies of those they seek to replace.
Not bad for a small, low budget flick.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2024, 11:50 am

I just watched:

District 9 [2009]
<=>"You are not welcome here."

More than 20 years ago a large alien spaceship came to earth and began hovering over Johannesburg. Just hovering. Not moving. There were no signs of attempts to come down to the ground or to communicate. It just hovered.

After a few weeks of nothing happening, South Africa went up to the spaceship in helicopters and cut their way in. They found many (thousands!) of sick and malnourished aliens trapped in filthy conditions on the spaceship. They evacuated them to the ground and set aside District 9 for them. And never found anyone in charge to talk to. They just put them in District 9 and considered them to be a great inconvenient expense.

Finally, the government decided the aliens were too much of a problem living so close to Johannesburg and decided to move them to a brand new, more isolated (and less expensive) District 10.

...and that is when things got "interesting"...and where the film begins.

Off Topic
When the movie was in the theaters we happened to be visited by a nephew. He suggested the three of us go see the film. This surprised me because he is not a science fiction fan but my bride and I were delighted to go.

The film is excellent science fiction so he did not enjoy it at all.

My bride admits the film is well made but it grossed her out. During the scene where a human is eating (wet) cat food with bloody fingers she started dry-heaving!! (I considered that a concern because she was turned toward me! Fortunately the heaving stayed dry.)

Even though she concedes it is an excellent science fiction movie she is resolved to never see it again. She happens to be away for a few days so I was able to watch it...and I enjoyed it!

The film is nominated-for-four-Oscars good:
- Best Motion Picture of the Year lost to The Hurt Locker
- Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay lost to Precious
- Best Achievement in Film Editing lost to The Hurt Locker
- Best Achievement in Visual Effects lost to Avatar

If you like Science Fiction movies...and can stand watching someone eat wet cat food with bloody fingers...

Of course, *\o/*V E R Y\o/R E C O M M E N D E D*\o/*

LittleBeach
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2024, 2:12 pm

I watched Old (2021) a horror film about a tropical location that causes people to age their whole lives within one day.

I thought it was better than online reviews might suggest. The plot was interesting enough and I liked the ending.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2024, 4:05 pm

TCM 30 Anniversary (on Max) film #11 of 441

A Man's Story

A documentary about fashion designer Ozwald Boateng.

I'm not drawn to films or documentaries concerning fashion. It was in the TCP 30 Anniversary list, so I watched it. It was nice. It was well done, and I learned something about the fashion world and this man's story over a twelve year period. The suits he designs are really nice.

Having said that about documentaries about fashion, I can appreciate the color, lines, textures, and shapes of fashion design. However, it has never been a thing I've sought out. If you saw how I dress, you would say "Oh yeah. He does not care a lick about fashion or looking good."

I would like to say that the A-Z listing for these films seems rather random. They have a resemblance of being sorted, but it's like the algorithm sneezes and titles get shifted around, which is not sort. I'll have to remember what I've watched. Annoying. I may decide to abandon this project. For instance, after watching A Night in the Show, a Chaplin film, there are seven more films in perfectly logical order. Then the eighth film is A King In New York, followed by A Man's Story. I don't think they understand the purpose of sorting alphabetically.

TismRizzler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2024, 7:14 am

I recently watched the first and second Terminator movies. They were freakin' awesome!