Page 3 of 39 [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 39  Next

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 6:40 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I’ve been in the mood to watch episodes of Star Trek The Next Generation.

I find it comforting.

I saw some of the cartoon of Star Trek, and a little bit of ToS when I was little, but other than that, I was never really into Star Trek at all.

Years ago, I think when I was between jobs, they would show TNG on UPN I think, late at night, and I started watching it before bed (4AM), and I was really starting to enjoy it.

Started watching ToS a few years back on Netflix, but I always get distracted by the amount of shows they have (and what I've got on DVD), and I start getting into some other show...and then that show gets swapped for something else...etc. etc.

There are so many shows I would like to catch up on, but it was so much easier back when we had TV, and you were basically "force fed" (figuratively speaking) whatever was on at that time. And most shows intentionally avoided continuity, so if you missed episodes, it didn't really matter.

RainbowUnion wrote:
ST is a brilliant creation that was successful in spite of, and not because of, its creator.

Sounds like Gary Gygax and Dungeons & Dragons... :oops:

I love the man, but he definitely had a lot of big ideas, and a lot of "feature creep", and (from what I've read) not a lot of people to tell him to keep things concise, or keep things in order. Later in his life, when he would DM, he would return to those original three Little Brown Books. Simplicity.

Also George Lucas too... I'm thinking Gygax may have been on the spectrum.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2018, 7:17 pm

Yeah, maybe Lucas too, although he never wanted as much control over the series as people gave him. He was content with letting other people write and direct Empire and Jedi, but the prequels were kind of thrust upon him (or at least that's how the story goes).

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 7:44 am

Just what everyone needs for relaxation: 12 hours of background engine noise from the Enterprise D. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DydIK14AvXI

There Are Four Lights!

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2018, 9:19 am

Darmok wrote:
Just what everyone needs for relaxation: 12 hours of background engine noise from the Enterprise D. :D

Ah. There is no sound in space. Its a wave that needs a physical medium in which to exist. Thats a major science mistake in nearly all space operas.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Jul 2018, 5:31 pm

Does anyone have any of the Star Trek vid games :?: I have the 1s they made for Nintendo & SNES. I never got very far in them thou cuz I'm unable to save & have to start over each time. The reason I never got far in the DS9 game is because I keep dying at the begging. I have to eject some bombs before they explode & finding them is kind of like in a maze & I never found the last one. Maybe I should play it while looking up a guide on my phone so I can figure out where they are.
I also have a Voyager PS2 game that I found used somewhere but I never got around to playing it. It may not ever work rite.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2018, 5:40 pm

I have the video game for Star Trek Generations. I used to have Star Trek DS9 The Fallen and Starship Creator for PC and Star Trek Voyager Elite Force for PS2 (only one I completed). I am currently addicted to Star Trek Online but on Xbox One.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2018, 8:17 pm

nick007 wrote:
Does anyone have any of the Star Trek vid games :?:

I always liked Star Raiders, which is a 3D graphical version of the old text game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek ... eo_game%29

There's a MUD version of the game too, but I haven't taken the time to learn it yet.

Lorrent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2018, 6:43 am

What are your opinions on Star Trek Online? I was really into this game many years ago, but I did eventually quit after I thought it is too much pay to win. Did anything positive happen with it?

RAADS-R: 134

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 11:46 pm

Liberian stamps. :D

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 9:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuvNCi34naM

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 8:28 pm

A five-Time Emmy winner, he came up with Tribble coos, communicator beeps and the whoosh of Enterprise bridge doors opening and closing.

Doug Grindstaff, a five-time Emmy Award winner who created communicator beeps, Tribble coos and other sound effects employed on the original Star Trek, died July 23 in Peoria, Arizona, his family announced. He was 87.

Grindstaff served as a vice president at Lorimar-Telepictures, headed sound departments at Paramount, Columbia and Pacific Sound and was president of the Motion Picture Sound Editors, which honored him in 1998 with its Lifetime Achievement Award....

Working with Jack Finlay and Joseph Sorokin, Grindstaff created the background sounds and effects used on NBC's Star Trek. These sounds included red alert klaxons, the whoosh of Enterprise bridge doors opening/closing, heartbeats, boatswain whistles, sickbay scanners and communicator beeps and the acoustics that invoked phasers striking deflector shields and transporter materialization (and dematerialization).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 87-1130648

There Are Four Lights!

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 3:03 am

RainbowUnion wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Ah. There is no sound in space. Its a wave that needs a physical medium in which to exist. Thats a major science mistake in nearly all space operas.

Seem like the sound they always hear inside the ship, and sound can travel inside or even through spaceships.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 12:24 pm

The original series crew are going one by one. :(

‘Star Trek’ actress Nichelle Nichols diagnosed with dementia
https://pagesix.com/2018/08/10/star-tre ... -dementia/

There Are Four Lights!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 2:22 pm

I used to watch next generation, ds9 and Voyager when they were originally on TV. Now I am catching up with them again because they air them almost every night on the H&I network. DS9 wasn't as good as the two other series imo but it did have it's interesting episodes, like when the Defiant crashed on the planet and the crew met their decendents because it was fated for the ship to end up in a time warp but at the end it was written out of history because Odo changed the ships fate.... @_@

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 2:31 pm

Angnix wrote:
Now I am catching up with them again because they air them almost every night on the H&I network.

I don't think we get that station here =( I've thought about getting a better antenna, but we barely use the one we have.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 2:41 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Angnix wrote:
Now I am catching up with them again because they air them almost every night on the H&I network.

I don't think we get that station here =( I've thought about getting a better antenna, but we barely use the one we have.

H&I is only broadcasted in certain locations. I have an air antenna, I pick it up from Lansing (channel 10.2)

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020