Black Christmas (1974)
The Invisible Man (1933)
Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

Al-Bone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2009, 8:57 pm

My favorite horror movies would be

Halloween I/II (1978/1981) I consider these one movie.
Dawn of the Dead (1978) I hated the remake.
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) The remake was good as well.
The Omen (the original trilogy)
Salem's Lot (1979) I liked the remake, although the novel owns both movies.
The Shining (1980)
Psycho (1960)
Zombie (1979)
Children of the Corn (1984)
Nightmare on Elm St. (1984)
Creepshow (1982)
Diary of the Dead (2007)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 9:44 pm

Oh, An American werewolf in London was nice, even from the start of the movie when they leave the moor and enter the local pub and the "warm" welcome they receive. Great beginning! Way too often movies like this waste so much time on social stuff and getting to know the people, which usually means that the audience must suffer idiotic conversations and immature behaviour for 30-40 miutes before it gets interesting.

Carrie. I liked the the remake (2002) way better, and the way Carrie, her mother, the gym teacher and the girl who first bullied her then changed her mind, were portrayed in this version. The ending wasn't the same as in King's novel or the first movie, but I liked this one way better.

GreenPele
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2009, 5:46 pm

I do love Carrie, but I liked the books better then the films. For one thing in the films they potrayed Carrie as "Pretty-but-still-bullied", but in the book she was overweight, had acne, and was forced to wear ugly clothes by her Mom who thoughr modern clothes were "sinful". And the thing is in the book Carrie actually wanted to kill everyone because of how they treated her, while in the films they made it look like she was posessed by Satan and didn't know what she was doing.

I thought the Carrie in the book was more realistic. I didn't like the film versions of her at all.

El_duce
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2009, 3:56 am

The Exorcist is the most terrifying by far. Didn't think too much of the sequels though. The American version of the The Ring was excellent too. And The Sixth Sense. The first time I watched it, I was thinking "Yeah it's all right. Not that scary. Cool twist though." I just wasn't that interested. But the next time I was alone in the middle of the night I kept thinking about the movie and how dead people are everywhere and what is that strange noise coming from the next room and did I just see something moving from the corner of my eye?......... 8O
Interview with the Vampire is another classic. And Hannibal. They're grotesque and ghoulish and beautiful. And Hostel 2 was brilliant.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2009, 5:35 am

El_duce wrote:
And The Sixth Sense. The first time I watched it, I was thinking "Yeah it's all right. Not that scary. Cool twist though." I just wasn't that interested. But the next time I was alone in the middle of the night I kept thinking about the movie and how dead people are everywhere and what is that strange noise coming from the next room and did I just see something moving from the corner of my eye?.........

Well that's it really... it's all about how you set your atmosphere.

I remember being young (about 18) and being left at home in my parents house while they went on a couple of weeks holiday... I got bored and started getting into their liquour cabinet and had a bit too much to drink. I then settled down to watch Exorcist III: Legion. Not the most scary film (although there's one seriously frightening scene in it).

It was pretty scary then.

Toolite
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Sep 2009, 6:11 pm

The only recent films to really creep me out are Audition and Midnight Meat Train.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2009, 6:30 pm

Constantine.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 2:23 pm

Evil Dead II
The Shining
Sleepy Hollow
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Silent Hill
Jacob's Ladder
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 1970's one)

Not strictly horror but could be considered horror:
Oldboy
Running Scared
Cemetery Man/Delamorte Delamore
Shaun of the Dead
Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer
Underworld

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2009, 8:42 pm

Orphan
Psycho
The Birds

RoemerMW
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Sep 2009, 12:10 pm

Anyone here into Giallo? I'm a huge Mario Bava/Dario Argento fan.

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

08 Sep 2009, 12:21 pm

I struggle to have an interest in horror films usually. George Romero's zombie films are about as far as I go. There's a few other zombie films that I like and consider good. I'm a very big fan of John Carpenter's films as well, though they aren't strictly out and out horror films. He's done some great thrillers.

Modern horror filims seem to suck on average. Perhaps because most of the time they're just sh***y remakes of old horror films that still stand up on their own today. I think we have Michael Bay to blame for that, because I hear he like heads the company making them or something.