Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 2:28 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6DmEgtibOg[/youtube]

It's nice to see that Disney's using 2D animation again.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 4:50 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
It's nice to see that Disney's using 2D animation again.

I have no interest in seeing this film whatsoever, but I am also pleased to see traditional animation in a Disney "animated" film again.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Nov 2009, 5:46 pm

While I appreciate Disney's desire to create traditional animation the problem I have with Disney is virtually every animation they've made is some sort of fairy tale love story. It would be nice for once for them to expand their horizons and try something else. Like fantasy epic, or science fiction... or something else. Look at Pixar; I don't think they've made a single "love" story yet... and every one of their films have been epic. :)

The former things have passed away."

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 6:08 pm

I plan on going to see this movie because I really miss Disney's non-computer animated films.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 10:03 pm

kxmode wrote:
While I appreciate Disney's desire to create traditional animation the problem I have with Disney is virtually every animation they've made is some sort of fairy tale love story. It would be nice for once for them to expand their horizons and try something else. Like fantasy epic, or science fiction... or something else. Look at Pixar; I don't think they've made a single "love" story yet... and every one of their films have been epic. :)

While I dont exactly agree that EVERY animation Disney has made is some sort of fairy tale story, I do agree with your concern and I'm afraid it's gonna be a bigger concern with this "rennaissance". Following The Princess and the Frog, Disney will be doing Rapunzel for 2010 and a fantasy story called King of the Elves for a later date.

I consider WALL-E the first love story done by Pixar. They might be doing an animal love story with a project called Newt down the line and theyre doing their own fairytale called The Bear and the Bow.

I know talking animals were an overkill for the past few years but I'm concerned with Disney's inability to mix it up a little whenever they make a new project.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2009, 11:24 pm

kxmode wrote:

They have, remember Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet?
Not really some of Disney's best movies. I think they should stick with what they know.

That said, I'm glad Disney's going back to their roots. All this Hannah Montana and High School Musical crap makes me wanna vomit.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2009, 11:44 am

_Square_Peg_ wrote:
kxmode wrote:

They have, remember Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet?
Not really some of Disney's best movies. I think they should stick with what they know.

That said, I'm glad Disney's going back to their roots. All this Hannah Montana and High School Musical crap makes me wanna vomit.

You mean what they know that makes them moneys. :lol:

LosFrida
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2009, 10:08 pm

DocStrange wrote:
I have no interest in seeing this film whatsoever, but I am also pleased to see traditional animation in a Disney "animated" film again.

My thoughts precisely.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 2:29 pm

I'll likely be seeing it because I have kids. I have very mixed feelings about it. If the Disney name wasn't so tainted and their formula so tiresome I would be more warm to what I've seen so far. It think it looks like one of their nutty offerings, which is a good thing. My favorite film of theirs is without question "The Emperor's New Groove" and I prefer others like "The Lion King 1 1/2", "The Great Mouse Detective" and "The Black Cauldron" in spite of the contortionist human characters of the last one. Their animators grew less and less skillful over the years... for examples, see "The Little Mermaid" and count how many faces she has in the movie or even in a single scene.

"The Princess and the Frog" is showing the more controlled 2-D they've had since they pulled themselves together. That's a plus. And the story is set in the New Orleans area, unless I have totally missed the riverboat on what I saw in the trailer. I'm from Louisiana so nostalgia demands I see the film, even though it'll no doubt have more of a Disneyland New Orleans Square feel. Mind you, they didn't entirely fail to capture the feel of the French Quarter in that (as hard as they tried :roll: ).

All that aside, it does reek of Disney's big book of animated movies, point for point down the checklist of must-haves. So we'll see. ("The Emperor's New Groove" went pretty easy on the checklist, as such films go.)

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.