Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 1:21 pm

Everyone calls them weird and kind of leaves them aside. I don't see anything weird in them... Is it because I'm Aspie?

Any and all contribution comments will be welcome...

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 1:40 pm

My 2 cents.

If the reference is to someone considered an "outsider," then we probably identify with such people ourselves as we are frequently treated as "outsiders."

As dangerous as some such characters might be, I find them more interesting than the humdrum "normal" people. 8)

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 1:48 pm

Can they be dangerous indeed?

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:32 pm

Thomas Hamilton would be one of the best known "lone gunmen" in my country, Scotland. He walked into Dunblane Primary School and shot at a class of 5 year olds, killing 16 children and their teacher. Then he shot himself.

"Weird" would be an understatement.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:45 pm

I mean these ones, of course:

THE LONE GUNMEN

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 2:54 pm

I watch television very little.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 3:05 pm

I don't even own a TV set, I only know them from fanfic on the web. But they're always dismissed as "weird" in the stories and in mytharc, I don't know why...

Felgen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Dec 2009, 5:17 pm

They seem quite aspie-ish in X-Files.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 5:18 pm

I loved the Lone Gunmen. On a show like the X Files, rife with conspiracies at every turn, they seemed to be the only people (outside the government conspirators themselves) who recognized what was going on and spoke up about it - thus they were outcasts from mainstream (read NT) society who thought of them as 'crackpot conspiracy theorists'.

One of my favorite X Files episodes was "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man", in which Lone Gunman Frohike reveals the life story of CGB Spender (aka 'Cancer Man' referring to his chain smoking), who turns out to have been at the center of every major conspiracy of the latter half of the 20th century - he was with Oswald in Dallas, supplied the weapon that killed MLK Jr, shot the first alien that landed on Earth, etc...one guy orchestrated it all on behalf of the CIA's Black Ops programs. Hilarious.

The Lone Gunmen had their own series for one season, and might have lasted longer, but for 911 preempting world attention just as they were getting started - and here's an odd coincidence for a show about conspiracy theorists - the first episode of the Lone Gunmen televison series involved an airliner being hijacked and flown into the World Trade Center. That aired in March, 2001, just six months before the actual attack. Hmm... Does art imitate life - or does life imitate art?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 10:51 am

Awww I love the Lone Gunmen, and loved your commentary, Willard!