Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dodus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Dec 2009, 6:29 am

For me it was Brother Bear and Finding Neverland. Didn't help that I was in school when I saw Finding Neverland. ><

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 7:46 am

Marley and Me
We Were Soldiers
Seabiscuit
Titanic
Braveheart

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2009, 7:51 am

There's a lot, but the one that really stands out is When A Man Loves A Woman

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 9:52 am

"Bird of Paradise" where they tossed Debra Pagent into the exploding volcano to appease the gods and her lover Louis Jourdan had to sail away heartbroken. . . I could not understand how people could bear that sort of sorror . I was about 9 and cried and sobbed and carried on so uncontrollably to where my parents held me in the bathtub and turned cold water on me. . .

:roll:

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Dec 2009, 10:16 am

"Safe" by Todd Haynes
"The Hours" the scenes featuring Julianne Moore
"Mulholland Drive" by David Lynch ( the song in the nightclub )
"3:10 to Yuma" with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale ( the end )
"Adaptation" by Charlie Kaufman with Nicholas Cage ( near the end )
Dumbo ( the bit when Dumbo's mother swings him in her trunk )

and there's been quite a few others over the years, but I'm not sure how many of them would still have that effect.

PS. I took my son ( AS/PDD ) to see the first/second? "Stuart Little" film, when he was four years old, and he burst out crying, broken-heartedly, when the toy plane ( that really flew ) crashed in the park in the first scene almost. He couldn't bear to see something so wonderful smashed/ruined, "wasted" as he said later. And people all round the cinema looked at us and ssshhh'd us as if it was totally unreasonable for a four year old boy to cry about something so fantastic being broken. I comforted him by saying that I suspected that it was going to be very important and useful at some later stage, which was a lucky, ( but "film-educated" ) guess! ;)

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2009, 10:40 am

Finding Neverland (1st time)
Titanic (1st time)
Gladiator (5th time)
The Green Mile (5th time)
Land Before Time (every time when I was little broke my heart)

And a couple of others too, but feeling usually goes quite fast. Marley & Me was sad but I didn't dwell on it like I do in some really good ones. Have realised only genuine films where you love the characters make me cry (step forward Gladiator, Green Mile)

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Dec 2009, 10:53 am

Kissmyarrrtichoke, your comment made me remember another one:

"The Fly" by Cronenberg with Jeff Goldblum, when he is putting his tenth teaspoonful of sugar in his coffee at the cafe and ranting on to Davis about the power he thinks he has gained as a result of going through the teleporter ... and I cried for the ruin and delusions of someone I cared about.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 12:54 pm

I've never actually cried during a movie, but the closest I've ever come was in Hotel Rwanda, during the scene with the nuns and priests trying to find a place of refuge for the orphans.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 1:13 pm

I almost cried at the end of Peter Jackson's King Kong. We have every reason to fear Kong, and yet every reason to care about him.

Moral of the story: DO NOT take giant gorillas from their habitat and place them in a major city. Things will literally go apeshit.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 1:19 pm

kissmyarrrtichoke wrote:
Finding Neverland (1st time)
Titanic (1st time)
Gladiator (5th time)
The Green Mile (5th time)
Land Before Time (every time when I was little broke my heart)

And a couple of others too, but feeling usually goes quite fast. Marley & Me was sad but I didn't dwell on it like I do in some really good ones. Have realised only genuine films where you love the characters make me cry (step forward Gladiator, Green Mile)

I used to watch "land before time" over and over when I was younger. Guilty pleasure :lol: Never broke my heart though. :D

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2009, 2:26 pm

Up got me misty eyed. Mostly over how the beginning of the story was. Not because the guy's wife died, but how they had dreams and in the end, she died having never really lived them.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 10:10 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Up got me misty eyed. Mostly over how the beginning of the story was. Not because the guy's wife died, but how they had dreams and in the end, she died having never really lived them.

I don't get a lot out of physically doing something v.s. using my mental eye ; Living my dreams is a messy and strenuous business, I find. When my body won't support what my obsession focuses me do, I consciously sit down and write about it, as it is much easier on my aging frame. Death is not the only end to unrealized dreams, sometimes the body won't allow it.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 10:53 pm

The Secret Life of Bees. I've never cried so much in a movie theatre before and with sniffling and constant wiping of eyes it was pretty embarrassing. The character who ended up drowning herself I strongly identified with and thought the character must be autistic along with her extreme hypersensitivity, and the little girl character that Dakota played as well. Together it was almost too much to bear. No one else in the theatre seemed to be affected. I managed to get through the movie but felt like a regular dumb-dumb.

Audiophile
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2009, 11:07 pm

I don't remember crying, but I felt REALLY REALLY sad during the movie.

Bridge to Terabithia, when the little girl dies, O-M-G. I felt bad for the little boy because he was looked down upon, super quiet, but incredibly smart. :)

But the little girl in the movie just helped make the whole movie come alive for some reason.

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2009, 11:13 pm

Matter of Life and Death / Stairway to Heaven (David Niven) too many scenes to mention!
Sommersby (Richard Gere): hanging scene
Ghost and Mrs. Muir (Gene Tierney) her death and reunion with the ghost

INTJ.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 5:34 am

Forest Gump made me cry. There was this young disabled boy, who was lonely. I was lonley, when I was young and going to school.