Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 2:52 pm

Sirius Black wins tenfold

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 9:02 pm

I would have to say Hemione Granger. I like how she's not your stereotypical "damsel-in-distress" lead female character (even though she does get captured and tortured by the Death Eaters in Deathly Hallows, but that's not the point :roll: ). I like her because she's intelligent, level-headed, and competent.

I also like Luna Lovegood because she's so cheerful and friendly and an overall pleasant person to be around.

I don't much care for Ginny, to be honest. She's kind of bitchy.

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2010, 7:22 pm

Bellatrix Lestrange!

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 8:29 pm

Descartes wrote:
I would have to say Hemione Granger. I like how she's not your stereotypical "damsel-in-distress" lead female character (even though she does get captured and tortured by the Death Eaters in Deathly Hallows, but that's not the point :roll: ). I like her because she's intelligent, level-headed, and competent.

I also like Luna Lovegood because she's so cheerful and friendly and an overall pleasant person to be around.

I don't much care for Ginny, to be honest. She's kind of bitchy.

Luna is hilarious. I also like Sirius and Lupin. Kinda sucks that the last of the Marauders are gone. First James, then Sirius, then Peter and Lupin both in the last book. :(

Speaking of Hermione and Ginny, remember how they both ended up married to Ron and Harry (respectively) in the epilogue? Well, I remember what I learned in high school English about Shakespearean character archetypes, and I think that Hermione and Ron most definitely fit the "warring lovers" archetype. They've had a love-hate relationship ever since the fifth book, they were always bickering with each other, but you could tell that they had feelings for each other. Hermione's reaction to Ron's departure and return in Book VII pretty much confirms this. She's all depressed and crying because Ron left, but the minute he comes back, she starts attacking him so ferociously that Harry has to put up a barrier spell between them to break them up. It's honestly one of my favorite scenes in the book.

Just goes to show you that Rowling was a master at allusion. She pretty much incorporated everything she knew about from Greek Mythology, Shakespeare, and other literary sources and wove them into Harry Potter so well that it made a great story without being obvious.

Also, Mrs. Weasley was pretty badass in the final battle scene, when she was dueling Bellatrix. "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU b***h!" lol. You'd never think she'd be capable of the Avada Kedavra spell, just goes to show you how protective she was of her children.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 9:03 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Also, Mrs. Weasley was pretty badass in the final battle scene, when she was dueling Bellatrix. "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU b***h!" lol. You'd never think she'd be capable of the Avada Kedavra spell, just goes to show you how protective she was of her children.

I loved that scene. I never would have guessed that of all the people who would kill Bellatrix Lestrange, it would be Molly Weasley!

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 1:40 am

Descartes wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:

I loved that scene. I never would have guessed that of all the people who would kill Bellatrix Lestrange, it would be Molly Weasley!

Poetic justice. Bellatrix had it coming. :P

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 10:55 am

Thank you very much for the :x spoiler.

Re the original question: Luna would be someone nice to be around in real life.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 3:12 pm

carturo222 wrote:
Luna.

As for asking her to that Slug Club party, she would've been my first choice rather than last.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 4:45 pm

carturo222 wrote:
Thank you very much for the :x spoiler.

Re the original question: Luna would be someone nice to be around in real life.

Ok, really? Harry Potter VII has been out for over two years now, and you still haven't read it yet?

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 12:26 am

Up to now I have only watched the movies. I haven't read the first book, actually. I'm waiting until I see all the movies and then I'll start with the books.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 1:06 am

carturo222 wrote:
Up to now I have only watched the movies. I haven't read the first book, actually. I'm waiting until I see all the movies and then I'll start with the books.

That's...interesting.

People usually prefer to read the books before seeing the movies.