Do you think this could have been improved

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 3:45 pm

Do you think if Nolan could shoot action scenes better than his batman movies would have been even more entertaining? I know people (especially fans of his films) will disagree with me on this but still.

If there is one the thing that was good about the past batman movies were the action/fight scenes.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 5:25 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Do you think if Nolan could shoot action scenes better than his batman movies would have been even more entertaining? I know people (especially fans of his films) will disagree with me on this but still.

If there is one the thing that was good about the past batman movies were the action/fight scenes.

At least in TDKR, you could sample each blow when Batman and Catwoman take out Bane's thugs, likewise the big finale when Batman batters Bane and when the latter breaks the former. The Schumacher/Burton fights looked too cartoonish, the whole idea during the docks scene in Begins was to keep shots of Batman brief to enhance the mystery.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 5:53 pm

I think the worst batman fight scene was in begins when bale ambushed the gang of thugs in the warehouse.

Don't u agree though Lexington that maybe Nolan could have hired a director that specalised in shooting fight scenes? Maybe just maybe then no one would question that his bat films were given too much hype too begin with.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 6:08 pm

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 6:26 pm

Why are you telling me too shut up for? :? Believe it or not people are allowed too debate stuff on these forums. Geez american posters are always so rude.

These days I enjoy watching nolans films.... I was just saying it would have been great too have good quality fight scenes that's all.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 6:58 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I think the worst batman fight scene was in begins when bale ambushed the gang of thugs in the warehouse.

Don't u agree though Lexington that maybe Nolan could have hired a director that specalised in shooting fight scenes? Maybe just maybe then no one would question that his bat films were given too much hype too begin with.

Hype or no hype, they made more money at the box office than the original four put together. And the warehouse scene in Begins is hardly the worst ever, it was more about intimidation and making Falcone's goons absolutely s*it themselves in fear. It worked, for better or worse.

Rocksteady incorporated that into the Arkham Asylum/City games as well, namely the fear factor that Batman is renowned for, not camp Schumacher puns.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 6:59 pm

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for in a film. Fight scenes tend to bore me so that wasn't what I was paying attention to when watching the films. If the fight scenes in Nolan's films tend to be bad, maybe he isn't all that interested in them either. Maybe he should do films where fighting isn't the main action.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm

I would probably appreciate nolans bat films more if I read the comics. I will always have a biased towards preffering Burtons and Schumacher films because I grew up watching them as a kid. At the same time I find nolans films entertaining but I don't hate on Burtons and Schumachers work like true but fans do.

PresidentPorpoise
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2013, 8:49 pm

Hmm, I'm not so sure that I would say that Nolan doesn't know how to do action. The Dark Knight trilogy had good, solid fight scenes. Not the best I've ever seen, but it was very good, easy to follow, there wasn't too much going on the screen at one time (two problems that I think a lot of lesser blockbusters can suffer from). And have you seen "Inception"? I thought there were some really clever bits of action there (the shifting gravity scene fight between Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character and some random dream character comes to mind), and some intricately layered designs in the dream landscapes. But Nolan's movies are psychological and character-driven more so than action-driven (I honestly think his early film Memento might be his best movie despite not having anywhere near the action or the budget of most of his later movies).

I've never been a huge fan of Tim Burton beyond really liking "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" and "Edward Scissorhands", and admiring his unique aesthetic, but I still respect the fact that he has a pretty devoted fanbase, and I can totally understand someone who grew up with the Burton/Keaton Batmans preferring them to the Nolan/Bale films. I think a difference of opinion about the two incarnations of the franchise is likely to come down to what type of movie you want to see, as Nolan and Burton are very different directors, and tend to make very different types of movies.

mrbagle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2013, 2:21 am

I never personally never had any problems with the films, I thought they had enough in them.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 10:27 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Why are you telling me too shut up for? :? Believe it or not people are allowed too debate stuff on these forums. Geez american posters are always so rude.

As opposed to you, who passes judgement on an entire country over the actions of a few people?

Truly you are a paragon of manners. :roll: