Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 6:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
mgran wrote:
I'm sorry to hear the young man's been struggling. It's such a shame that child actors always end up in so much trouble. :(

he seems to be out of the woods now.

I thought he was pretty good as Sora from Kingdom Hearts II.

On sabbatical...

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 7:09 am

Haven't seen that one.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 12:55 pm

1984 and Gattaca, because they're accurate predictions.

Fehndrix
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2010, 5:35 pm

Surprised nobody's mentioned Akira yet.

Akira
Equilibrium
Escape From New York

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 6:05 pm

mgran wrote:
Haven't seen that one.

*Sigh*. It's a video game. Not a movie. It's what you get when you mix Final Fantasy with Disney, and the results are surprisingly good.

Actually, many elements of the final stage (The World that Never Was) of Kingdom Hearts II are dystopic. The first fifth of it takes place in a dark city swarming with monsters that want to take your heart away, while the rest takes place in a bizarre castle that is filled with the hollow shells of once living beings. And who still want to kill you.

Anyway, back onto topic.

On sabbatical...

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 3:13 pm

Great topic ! !

Almost all of my favorites have been mentioned already, so I'll throw in Minority Report. One of the few to mix Dystopian elements with Utopian. Don't care for the ending, and only recently read that it was supposed to be a hallucination.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 9:00 am

Has anyone seen the original Mad Max? That's like a dystopia on some serious crack.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 11:37 am

I haven't seen it since it was first out. (Does that date me) and at the time I thought it was awesome. I'd quite like to see it again, but haven't got around to it. It did strike me at the time as very good.

Here's one... Lord of the Flies. What happens to society when children are left to run it... Actually, the original book was set in the future, but there's no sense of that in the story, because it's set on a desert island.

My advice is don't watch it if you're easily upset. Don't read it if you're easily upset. Both book and film upset me!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 2:00 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
1984 and Gattaca, because they're accurate predictions.

Neither have come true. Nothing like -1984- has come about. And we are a long way from being able to modify our genome to produces perfect humans.

ruveyn

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 10:08 pm

Fahrenheit 451 - 1966 (The classic dystopia)
Idiocracy -2006 (Very Very funny, yet thought provoking)
Xanadu and to a lesser extent Barbarella. (Hippie Dystopia? But they do hold some wisdom)
A Boy and his Dog. (Damn, i loved the ending!! !!)

One's mentioned that i loved:
THX 1138
Mad Max (all 3)
Gattaca
Existenz

Fav of all time: Solyent Green.

New movie that isn't worth the watch: The Book of Eli.... Such a pity that he didn't die on his journey. :lol:

I've queued up a few dl's that were suggested on this thread too.

1984 was interesting... the book better though... It's not just a typical dystopia movie though... Their society had it's flaws, but it wasn't all bad... they had some VERY good ideas.

I know I'm missing some good ones, but ... them's the brakes.
I'm watching Equilibrium now for the first time... Why are people calling it Dystopian... That's UTOPIAN!! !!

Aimless I'll second you on putting Oryx and Crake on film.... Dang, i'd even BUY that!

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 2:14 am

Exclavius wrote:
I'm watching Equilibrium now for the first time... Why are people calling it Dystopian... That's UTOPIAN!! !!

Does it mean that you're dreaming to live in a dictatorship where art is forbidden ?

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 11:27 am

Exclavius wrote:

1984 was interesting... the book better though... It's not just a typical dystopia movie though... Their society had it's flaws, but it wasn't all bad... they had some VERY good ideas.

Name two.

ruveyn

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 1:21 pm

Psychopompos wrote:
Exclavius wrote:

Does it mean that you're dreaming to live in a dictatorship where art is forbidden ?

I was a bit semi-sarcastic there, was more making a comment on my inability to understand emotion... and sometimes i really do wish i lived in a society devoid of it. Without art in general, I wouldn't have anything to bring it on, unwanted.

ruveyn wrote:
Exclavius wrote:

Name two.

Okay... you know something... i feel like an utter idjit here... (nuthin' new mind you)
It has been SOOO long since I watched 1984, that i actually got two films/books mixed up.
Brave New World and 1984 switched around in my head.

I threw on the movie 1984 last night after I watched Equilibrium and realized my mistake before even reading your reply.

That said, i have to add Brave New World into my list of best Dystopia movies.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 2:18 pm

Psychopompos wrote:
Exclavius wrote:

I can understand why a world without emotion might be attractive to some people.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 6:30 pm

Exclavius wrote:

which one- the 1978 NBC telefilm or the 1998 one?

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 7:28 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Exclavius wrote:

which one- the 1978 NBC telefilm or the 1998 one?

Hrm, I just know that the BBC was involved in the filming. Been a long time since seeing it, but i know it was British.