love 12%  12%  [ 9 ]
hate 68%  68%  [ 50 ]
twilight.....zone? 19%  19%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 73

tk5800
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Feb 2010, 1:01 am

me personally, i hate it, because although it is good to see a new interperatation of a vampire, this one just sucks, he sparkles?, jeez

so, any good points from haters, and any bad points from the ,lovers?

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2010, 2:30 am

I'm apathetic towards it. I'm not in the audience that the series is aimed at, so I never really paid much attention to it.

Some of it's fans are creepy though. Not all of them mind you, but I've read some pretty crazy stuff from them, even hearing that some broke up with their boyfriends because they are nothing like Edward Cullen.

Fans these days.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 3:15 am

Le_Samourai wrote:
I'm apathetic towards it. I'm not in the audience that the series is aimed at, so I never really paid much attention to it.

Some of it's fans are creepy though. Not all of them mind you, but I've read some pretty crazy stuff from them, even hearing that some broke up with their boyfriends because they are nothing like Edward Cullen.

Fans these days.

I can't agree more when it comes to the fans, and I hate Twilight as well.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Feb 2010, 3:16 am

I..... don't care for it. I've read the first two, and I think it's pretty poorly written and it sends out a horrible message to young girls.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 4:19 am

I tried reading the first book, but gave up a third of the way through. It was boring.

I'm not dissing its popularity, but it was not a good book to read.

On another note, could you try to make your opening post a tad less inflammatory in future, tk5800? It seems like you are just stirring up trouble. Particularly when you come to something as divisive as Twilight.

On sabbatical...

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2010, 5:18 am

Personally, that kind of thing has never appealed to me, so I've steered well clear. I don't like what I've heard about it, though, and I read the first two pages of the book out of curiosity and decided my socks needed washing. I'll stick to Tolkien and Dune. :)

And Quatermass - I didn't think the first post was "inflammatory", as such - rather, I found it quite refreshing to see a first post that gets straight to the point and gives their opinion unambiguously.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 5:40 am

Aietra wrote:
Personally, that kind of thing has never appealed to me, so I've steered well clear. I don't like what I've heard about it, though, and I read the first two pages of the book out of curiosity and decided my socks needed washing. I'll stick to Tolkien and Dune. :)

And Quatermass - I didn't think the first post was "inflammatory", as such - rather, I found it quite refreshing to see a first post that gets straight to the point and gives their opinion unambiguously.

One interpretation of the WP Rules could see it differently. That is why I am giving the friendly warning. The Internet, despite opinions to the contrary, can be serious business. Scarily so.

I like your taste in novels, though. Particularly with Dune.

On sabbatical...

Descartes30
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2010, 7:04 am

I love Twilight, personally. Even as an adult male in his 30s, so I am very much in the minority. And people can complain about the writing all they want, but writing style is subject to the person who reads it. My favorite author is probably James Joyce, but I do not expect every author to write the next "Ulysses". I'm concerned any time that someone gets so wrapped up into something that they lose all sense of themselves. But especially on a forum devoted to those with autistic spectrum disorders, there may at least be some attempts at understanding of being so dedicated to something that it takes over their day to day life.

But, back to Twilight itself. I find it decently well written, and that Steph wrote a story about what she wanted to read, not to send a message to an audience. I am very happy with how romantic it is and the only parts I don't like is when someone tries to come between the two lead characters (spell Jacob) or when Bella gets hurt. Perhaps it's due to my lack of cynicism and being well read in a wide range of novels and genres, but I just think all the arguments against Twilight are rather ridiculous and it demeans the person who is arguing to try to take away the enjoyment of those who love it. People are welcome to their opinion about it, but spewing hate or stirring up controversy just to make yourself feel like you are superior to someone else is less than impressive. But at least on the internet, I guess you can find a mob to stir up quite handily, and maybe that helps people feel like they belong *shrug*.

One last plug for it, I can depend on a happy ending when I read it (about once every month or two), and some people need that. So I will always be grateful for her for writing them. I will likely never have a romantic happy ending, but for those couple days and 4 books, I am able to live one. Yeah, I'm totally mushy, get over it. :)

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Feb 2010, 7:38 am

Descartes30 wrote:
Perhaps it's due to my lack of cynicism and being well read in a wide range of novels and genres, but I just think all the arguments against Twilight are rather ridiculous and it demeans the person who is arguing to try to take away the enjoyment of those who love it. People are welcome to their opinion about it, but spewing hate or stirring up controversy just to make yourself feel like you are superior to someone else is less than impressive. But at least on the internet, I guess you can find a mob to stir up quite handily, and maybe that helps people feel like they belong *shrug*.

Who are you referring to? No one on this thread did anything like that.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 7:42 am

Too much emo.

It was a variation on vampires, gave it points for that, but it was all teen angst and emo. No real substance.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 9:34 am

I can't really say because I've never seen it and I have no plans on ever seeing it. I'm more confused wondering why there is such a big vampire fad for? What is it about vampires that are so appealing? To me it seems very stupid. Nevertheless I noticed in the past year, there aren't only several vampire movies but also several vampire shows. I choose the Twilight Zone option because that's the only Twilight I watch.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 2:13 pm

I understand the books, as a item of literature, are poorly written. And reading the plot summaries for everything past the first story is, well .... disappointing? What the first novel did, and the first movie did really well, was capture that romantic angst of wanting what is bad for you. It's like a drug for so many of my gender, and that is what has, the experts say, driven the popularity of the series. I tend to agree; I went to see the first movie and I liked it for that same reason. I have a difficult time seeing how that can be sustained or built upon with the rest of the plot line being as it, but with the following the books have, the author must have succeeded with it. So, I would guess, that if someone relates to that feeling, they'll enjoy the series. If they don't, they won't. My kids see the series very much as a trendy thing certain girls like, and neither (my son nor my daughter) have any interest in it. Yeah, I had to watch that first movie alone (my husband likes art house movies).

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 3:52 pm

I'm not a fan of the books at all. However I have seen the films which are watchable although the plot is silly. In fact I only went to see the films because of this. :lol: I mean every once in a while it makes a change to go and see a film just for the heck of it. That's just me though.

SoulcakeDuck
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 7:30 pm

bubblegum vampires

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2010, 1:37 am

I've never cared much for the Twilight series itself. I trash-talk it all the time on Facebook and in real life even though I have some family members who enjoy it. I like talking trash about Twilight because it makes me feel better about my own obsessions.

But I know the way I'm thinking is immature and inappropriate, because I don't like it when people do the same thing to me. In fact, my brother, who used to share my Hellsing obsession to a small degree, has expressed strong disapproval of all 4 movies I'm currently obsessed with. It hurts when he says he hates something I hold dear. So maybe I should think twice before going on another of my "Why Anne Rice is Better Than Stephanie Meyer" rants...

tttnjfttt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2010, 2:46 am

I really enjoy the books, and in many ways I relate to (the book) Bella.

On page 10 in my copy, Bella explains about herself

Quote:
It wasn't just physically that I'd never fit in. And if I couldn't find a niche in a school with three thousand people, what are my chances here? I didn't relate well to people my age. Maybe the truth was that I didn't relate to well to people, period. Even my mother, who I was closer to than anyone else on the planet, was never in harmony with me, never on exactly the same page. Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes as the rest of the world was seeing was theirs. Maybe there was a glitch in my brain.

After Edward reveals he can read minds but not Bella's, he comments that maybe her mind is on the AM frequency and that he only hears FM. (pg 181 my copy)
Quote:
"My mind doesn't work right? I'm a freak? The words bothered me more than they should - probably because his speculation hit home. I'd always suspected as much and it embarrassed me to have it confirmed.

There are other things too. The other human females are surprised that Bella has never had a boyfriend. She dislikes being the center of attention. Physically she is very clumsy and that point is reinforced with a few of the PE scenes. She becomes obsessed with Edward to the point he is her entire world, and completely looses it when the obsession is taken away. She enjoys living with her Dad because he is not big on small talk and OK with it being quiet. She hates shopping and was forcibly dragged to her prom.

I see so much of myself in her, that I can enjoy the books.

On a side tangent, many female aspies are into classical lit, as is Bella, who has read many of the classic love stories many times. She also had no clue Jacob was in love with her, which was obvious to everyone else.