Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2010, 8:02 am

Christmas is coming and it's got me thinking that I've still not seen It's A Wonderful Life yet (even though it's supposed to be THE Christmas movie to end all Christmas movies). I'm not particularly bothered though as from what I can gather it looks like it'll be a couple of hours of incredibly over-sentimental mush.

What supposedly classic/must-see movies have you not seen, and how bothered are you about it?

Vector
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2010, 8:10 am

I have never seen a James Bond movie.

Too NT for me!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 8:23 am

I fully intend to watch Dr Mabuse, the Gambler in full some time.

On sabbatical...

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2010, 10:00 am

Vector - you've missed precisely zilch, they're terrible (especially the new ones with Daniel Craig which are particularly boring).

Quatermass - I've never seen that either but your WP name makes me want to watch The Quatermass Experiment again :D

Vector
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2010, 10:06 am

Bunneth:

I do like the Bond title sequences, but that's what YouTube is for.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 10:07 am

I;ve never seen Gone With The Wind - and I won't, unless they beat me to death.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 10:09 am

Do you mean classic as in really, really old classic or just generally awesome (or so people say)?

Anyways:

The Shawshank Redemption
Braveheart
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The Godfather Trilogy
Gremlins 2

I have never seen any of these

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 10:09 am

I have yet to see Toy Story 3, even though it hasn't been out long enough to be considered a "classic". I intend to remedy that situation as soon as I can get to Blockbuster so that I can rent it. I think it's out on DVD now.

Bunneth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2010, 10:21 am

Simonono - Bit of both I think. I guess the latter instance eventually turns into the former. I've seen a few of the films on your list. I've not read the Rings book but I saw the films. They're good but they are LONG. If you've got concentration problems like me they're a bit of a challenge. Shawshank Redemption is worthy of the classic tag in my opinion and very moving.

Severus - Yo've missed nothing, unless you're into old Hollywood style over-acting.

Descartes - I haven't seen it either, seen the other 2 films and enjoyed them so I'll definitely be seeing it sometime too.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 12:49 pm

I've never seen Titanic. I don't intend to.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 3:24 pm

Severus wrote:
I;ve never seen Gone With The Wind - and I won't, unless they beat me to death.

As Rhett Butler might say: Frankly Severus, I don't give a damn"

ruveyn

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 4:00 pm

I've never willingly gone to a Western--they're just too cheap and easy to film, in my opinion. OK, I saw High Noon, but I was dragged to it by my parents.

Some well-known films I haven't seen:

Rocky
A Hard Day's Night
The Godfather
Lord of the Rings
Blade Runner
Raging Bull
Ben-Hur
Easy Rider
Taxi Driver
Midnight Cowboy

And if you mean classic classic:

Intolerance
King Kong
City Lights
Modern Times.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 5:57 pm

Bunneth wrote:
Quatermass - I've never seen that either but your WP name makes me want to watch The Quatermass Experiment again :D

The Hammer Horror film The Quatermass Xperiment is nothing compared to the original television serial The Quatermass Experiment. Unfortunately, only the first two episodes survive of the original broadcast (they'd only just started using telerecording, and the results were crap), but there is a very good remake, albeit an abridged one, that was done on the BBC in 2005, and, if you live in the UK, you can get it on DVD.

As for Dr Mabuse, The Gambler, it's a thriller done by the same director as Metropolis, Fritz Lang. It was based on the novel by Jacques Norbert, and is about the manipulations and crimes of a master criminal called Dr Mabuse (who, incidentally, is played by the same actor who played Rotwang the mad scientist in Metropolis, Rudolf Klein-Rogge). I have the DVD, but I've never got around to watching more than the first half-hour, which is basically about Mabuse's typical day of criminal manipulation (stock market rorting, counterfeiting, disguising himself as people ranging from a Russian millionaire to a drunken sailor).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Mabuse_the_Gambler

On sabbatical...

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 6:32 pm

Hmm, come to think about it, Casablanca, Titanic, Bonnie and Clyde, Midnight Cowboy, Blues Brothers, The Good, the Bad And the Ugly- basically, you name it, I haven't seen it.

Last edited by Severus on 10 Nov 2010, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BroncosRtheBest
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2010, 6:44 pm

Rocky is boring and It's a Wonderful Life is atrocious. OP, go with A Charlie Brown Christmas if you're in the mood for movies of the season.

There's a lot of "classic movies" I haven't seen, way too many to name in fact. The ones I have watched I've generally hated, especially The Blues Brothers. I couldn't even make it through thirty minutes of that movie.

truthseeker1972
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2010, 9:45 pm

As I've gotten older, I have come like the movie It's a Wonderful Life less and less, but that might be a topic for another thread.

I have never seen the Mel Brooks Star Wars parody Space Balls, and people are always amazed when I say that I haven't seen it. The reason I haven't is because I feel like I've heard every joke from that movie already.