Veteran

10 Dec 2006, 6:31 am

I enjoyed "Pee-Wee's Playhouse."

- Emerson

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 5:28 pm

Boohbah, I have absolutely no clue what they were on when they made this thing my brothers used to watch when they were little. I think the devil himself made it.
With trippy colors and farting noises the oddly shaped aliens came out of spinning pods and do some crazy dance with squeaky noises while a kid in the background shouts "Boohbah" over and over.
It creeped me out while I was in middle school.
Teletubbies and Barney also creeped me out but not when I was very little.

Also anything that's aired on Disney Channel since it stopped showing mainly cartoons years ago.

Last edited by AntDog on 10 Feb 2014, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 5:58 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoLaP-HjKFQ[/youtube]

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 10:34 am

IMO, it's a tie between Barney and the Teletubbies. I find the Teletubbies just plain weird and disturbing. Also, I've always thought that show, along with Barney, was pretty bad, and from what I heard, Barney lacked educational value. Speaking of which, Wikipedia actually created a page dedicated to anti-Barney humor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Barney_humor

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 9:19 pm

Some people seem to think that just because the show they make is targeted at kids they don't have to care about stuff like good acting, good plots, good characters, good anything. it also seems that since the mid-90's they think that everyone in the show must be filled unrealistic and perpetually happy, smiling people and every day is filled with glitter and giggles. Jeez, even Sesame Street occasionally deals with scary stuff like having to go to the hospital or losing your nest in a hurricane.

-Every Christian-themed kid's show I've seen is just beyond horrible. One of the worst ones I've seen was a movie about a big blue anthro gospel book named Psalty. it was basically Barney with Bible stuff. I posted a rant about it a few months or so earlier. The other worst one was on a cable show called Junior Christian Science and that was like zero-budget, had hideous puppets that would lip-sync very badly to gospel records, and they would tell you not to do drugs like cocaine and heroine and "all that bad stuff". The whole show was like everyone on it was high on something potent! It was creepy and surreal and like some really bad fever dream. And it was made in the late 90's or early 2000's but it looked like it was the 70's! But I guess my describing it isn't enough, you'd have to see the Youtube videos to really know... 8O

-Dingo Pictures. Oh my brothers, oh my sisters, anything made by Dingo Pictures. (got a bit like Dr. Suess there, didn't I?) :) The Animal Soccer game/movie gets the most "publicity" on the internet, but the ones that are obvious knock-offs of popular Disney movies like Pochahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame are just unbelievable when you see a side-by-side comparison. Hyenas in North America, The Eiffel Towel in Medieval France... Pochahontas yelling "NEIN! NEIN!" when John Smith was about to be shot. Amazing, she suddenly learned German as well as English in only one day! :lol: People who thought the Disney version was historically inaccurate should probably not watch.

-Caillou. Every episode can basically described as this: A four- year-old Charlie Brown Impersonator has to do something he doesn't want to do, and spends the rest of the episode whining in his nails on a chalkboard voice, "I don't WANT to blah blah blah!! !", and his very stupid parents let him.

-Arthur. Two Letters. D-W. I so want to wring that quasi-ardvarrk demon-girl's non-existant neck. Although I could be a brat to my own brother sometimes when I was a little girl, my parents wouldn't let me get away with it. And there was all the times *he* wrecked my stuff, did it on purpose and had no remorse...

-Dragon Tales. Seriously, the girl and her little brother Max. At least Arthur and D.W. were more like a real brother and sister, these two kids kids never failed to make my teeth rot. Always so very nice to each other all. The. Time. And those stupid, STUPID dragons, especially the blue, severely mentally-challenged one who made Barney look like Einstein.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 11:55 pm

Teletubbies, it is really annoying and awfully deranged and inappropriate content for a child with a young impressionable mind to watch.

Sponge Bob, Stupid annoying show with questionable stories for the target age group. If I used the language Sponge Bob and friends use when I was 10 and under I would have got sent to my room and perhaps got my mouth washed out with soap. Yet words like stupid, jerk and I think I recall have herd or read idiot are perfectly fine in Sponge Bob's world.

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2014, 2:46 pm

I hate Pokemon.

TheHermit
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2014, 7:54 pm

My twin sister and I had an anti-Barney birthday party. We got a Barney piñata and put a target on his belly with arrows sticking out.
>:D

Animelover
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2014, 5:55 pm

I hate Caillou.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2014, 10:31 pm

Barney, with Dora at a very close 2nd, and Elmo's World segments on Sesame Street placing 3rd. Barney is the most annoying, ugly dinosaur you'll ever see. Thank god our PBS station doesn't air Barney anymore (they quit around 2007 or 08) because if I hear that "I Love You" song again, I will scream. Literally.
Dora - "Can you find the tree?" "Right, there it is!" Annoying as hell and I HATE Backpack. My 4-year-old niece (who lives on the west side of WA) has to watch Dora about every weekday. Go Diego Go! is the same concept, except it's Dora's older friend saving animals.
Elmo is an annoying puppet. Maybe not when I was 3 or 4 (I loved Mr. Noodle!) but now as a 16-year-old, YES.
I thought Boohbah was creepy when I was about 6 or 7. Let's say they are like the Teletubbies taking an ecstasy pill. A trainwreck.
Anything on Disney Channel nowadays, from Jessie to Good Luck Charlie, also sucks. They are not funny and are very stupid. Every show has the same type of teenagers and the same stupid jokes!

I actually loved watching Teletubbies when I was about 4. I loved Po and I had a stuffed animal Po for a while. Then it went to Goodwill.
I also loved watching Arthur and Dragon Tales and Clifford - oh the days of childhood! My mom would watch "As the World Turns" and I'd be in the other room watching preschool cartoons on our local PBS stations (KCTS in Seattle, and KBTC in Tacoma) for hours. I also got into Fetch with Ruff Ruffman for a while when it just started around 2005 or so. I liked all the trips and challenges the preteens did. I always wanted to be on that show having fun - too bad it was taped on the other side of the country at WGBH in Boston! (the logo scared me when I was younger. It probably would have given me nightmares if I was around in the 1980s when it was longer and was right before the program began!)
On cable I loved Blues Clues (Steve and Blue, not Joe and Blue. That sucked when they got rid of Steve!) And then between about 5-7 yrs I was a Wiggles addict. Loved Greg the most. I absolutely LOVED when Playhouse Disney would air the "Lights, Camera, Action Wiggles" episodes (c. 2003-04) I loved the faux TV station they ran out of. Another one that was a favorite of mine was "Bear in the Big Blue House" when I was about 3 or 4. And "Rolie Polie Olie" as well!
I got into Spongebob Squarepants around 8 or 9. Loved all the episodes and I loved Mr. Krabs the most. Even rented some of the DVDs. Watched marathon after marathon for a few years until I finally gave it up around 12 years of age.

Nowadays I watch maybe a SpongeBob here and there and that's it for kids shows. I'm all grown up now.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 4:58 am

In the night garden: i find this annoying because of the way the characters talk(ie babble) (my nephew would copy it. He doesn't do it now)

Barney. Didn't like him growing up. "I hate you, you hate me. Let's gang up and kill barney".

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 5:42 pm

-Barney and Friends RUINED Sesame Street! :x Because of the former's success with children aged 0 and under, the good folks of Sesame Street now had some competition and felt they had to hire kid actors too instead of, you know, real kids, and other nonsense. Sesame Street used to be entertaining for both kids and adults, and they never talked down to kids. But now, especially because of ELMO... And I'm a huge Muppet fan. RIP Jim Henson. :cry:

-Any kid's show that "teaches" stuff about the Bible or religion. I once saw a video on YouTube where a bunch of really ugly puppet kids who for some reason all have hillbilly accents are at a Sunday School, and one puppet who I think only went to the school because a girl he liked was there, but being the typical preteen he decides to annoy her and everyone else by using a "pop string" prank on the teacher. It was hilarious when the snapping sound made this one girl puppet with a face just like a toad scream and her unlovely pig-tails shook so much I thought they were going to come loose and fly right off. The boy gets in trouble and has to stand in the corner. later after he tells this story to a friend and the other kid said he should have behaved because God was watching him at Sunday school even if no one else was. So there's the message, everyone. You shouldn't play pranks or misbehave at a Sunday School because God is watching but it's perfectly okay to be a total jerk at a regular school or anywhere else. :roll:

-Caillou. Oh that whiny little Charlie Brown knock-off, how I want to lop off that melon head of his.

- I still do not understand why Pokemon is still popular to this day. Or most anime for that matter. And heaven forbid if I call them cartoons, because the Otaku Clan will want my head on a stake, even though that's what they really are, Japanese cartoons. And anime is Latin for animation, and anime was originally inspired by early classic cartoons like Disney and Betty Boop. It's sad they can't appreciate the classics I grew up watching as a kid, the old Disney, Looney Tunes, Popeye, Tom and Jerry and so forth.

-The Power Rangers. My goodness but the 90's were like a giant petri dish for breeding awful kiddy shows. Barney. Teletubbies. A bunch of teenaged Ninja superheros that was racist (Asian Yellow Ranger and African-American Black Ranger) and had plots that didn't make sense (Kimberly the Pink Ranger didn't know how to land a single- engine plane without instructions when she knows how to fly A FREAKING ROBOT PTERODACTYL?!)

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm

Spongebob and 99% of kids shows these days. Nothing but bad fart & butt jokes.....

Also, Disney needs to rethink their Marvel cartoons. Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble and Agents of SMASH are terrible ( but with damn good voice talent. Will Friedle as Deadpool, Eliza Dushku as She-Hulk, Seth Green as A-Bomb and Adrian Pasdar as Iron Man are some prime examples ). I want Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Spectacular Spider-Man back!! !!

And Cartoon Network needs to eliminate garbage like Annoying Orange, Regular Show and Uncle Grandpa and bring back GOOD shows like Generator Rex and Young Justice....

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 9:27 pm

Can't think of a single one.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2014, 10:28 pm

newageretrohippie wrote:
Spongebob and 99% of kids shows these days. Nothing but bad fart & butt jokes.....

Also, Disney needs to rethink their Marvel cartoons. Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers Assemble and Agents of SMASH are terrible ( but with damn good voice talent. Will Friedle as Deadpool, Eliza Dushku as She-Hulk, Seth Green as A-Bomb and Adrian Pasdar as Iron Man are some prime examples ). I want Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Spectacular Spider-Man back!! !!

And Cartoon Network needs to eliminate garbage like Annoying Orange, Regular Show and Uncle Grandpa and bring back GOOD shows like Generator Rex and Young Justice....

I agree with you on the Disney front except the voice-acting part. I don't hate the voice actors per se, it's just they sound kind of... phoned-in and oddly laboured in places, Fred Tastiscore and Seth Green especially. Mind you, given the material they're forced to work with, some are at least clearly trying to make the best of it - I'd hate to be Laura Bailey, Eliza Dushku, Josh Drake or Travis Willingham right now...

Alas, given Gregg Weissman's cursed animation career (nearly all of his projects have been cancelled for one reason or another), and at how low the demographic Disney-Marvel and CN are aiming their animated wares are, I doubt we'll have a return to yesteryear's greats. Though from what I heard, if you mentally cut out the weird random meme-inducing stuff, Adventure Time's supposed to be pretty good I hear.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2014, 11:09 pm

Arthur

Maybe I'm biased because I actually grew up with the aardvark back in the 90s so I'm used to a different style of storytelling and animation, but since the tax affair at WGBH and Arthur being landed in The Cookie Jar and now 9Story Entertainment's hands, the show's taken a nosedive. Instead of relatable adventures of an average kid in Anywhere USA (Elwood City), Arthur instead seems to evolved into a... I don't know what to call it now. Aside from the obvious drastic change in Season 16 where PBS abandoned Arthur's hand-drawn animation (previously provided by AKOM Inc, which got stiffer since Season 13) in favour of 9Story Entertainment's Toon-Boom, it seems the series bible has been thrown out the window. Brain is apparently now of African descent, Muffy suddenly has an older brother, Chip (conveniently unmentioned for 13 seasons), Francine's suddenly Jewish (a cheap excuse to have Joan Rivers voice her grandmother), etc.

I realise a show has to evolve if it's to keep going and the world has changed drastically in the nigh on three decades I've been in it. Kids are growing up much faster as they're exposed to more than what my generation grew up with (cellphones didn't become a societal norm until I was almost 13; same case with smartphones in my mid-twenties), and the world seems oddly smaller with international awareness, etc, etc. And what with Arthur being a PBS product, they have to tick the "edu-tainment" box without offending anyone (something Arthur once lampshaded).

So I congratulate Peter K Hirsch and others for being brave enough to tackle more hard-hitting subjects like cancer (Mrs McGrady contracts this), Alzheimers (Grandpa Dave), a large-scale disaster (April 9th), internet bullying, (Francine and the Big Bad Blog), adoption (Big Brother Binky) etc. Good on them.

That said, I'm of the opinion really that Arthur should've just come to a natural end and not struggle to limp on when it's becoming increasingly irrelevant. The fact that seasons have been drastically reduced from a 30 12-minute episodes to now only 10 (spread unevenly throughout the year in the US from what I heard) and the show have resorted to cheap gimmicks (like having Arthur's baby sister Kate and his dog communicate with each other Rugrats-style; or introducing the thickly-generic-Deep-South-accented L'donna and Bud, possibly to steer the show away from its Canadian bias; or Simpsons-style, shoving in American celebrities who don't mean anything outside the country of origin); not even featuring the titular character for a whole season, and that awful Toon Boom animation of nowadays (it seems to be a growing problem with Canadian-funded cartoons; Johnny Test suffered a similar fate)... urghhh....

Also, it sounds like age is finally catching up with Bruce Dinsmore (Arthur's Dad Dave, Mr Ratburn, Binky), Daniel Bronchou (Buster Baxter), Sonja Bell (Arthur's Mom Jane and occasionally Kate), Jodie Resther (Francine) and Melissa Altro (Muffy). And I don't know how many kids they can go through to keep the rest of the cast vaguely consistent (Arthur, D.W and the Tibbles, Brain, have all had erractic voice-actor changes, as respectively each child voice actor has shot up through puberty - yes, D.W. has mostly been voiced by boys, albiet with autotune; you can hear this clearly in Season 3 as the 1st DW voice Michael Caloz approached his teens). So if anything, they should end Arthur on that note unless they decide upon a major re-cast (which would be a slap in the face to the adult voice actors who provide other voice-over work for PBS, admittedly...)

But there you go... rant over.