Does anybody else watch documentaries more than regular TV?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Djn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 May 2011, 9:12 am

I don't know about other aspies, but a lot of times I flip through the channels and I end up watching documentaries on Public Broadcasting or on the History Channel rather than watch the droves of other stuff on TV. Am I alone in this? Thursday is a popular night for TV in the US, but I watched a PBS documentary on the Chinese Teracotta warriors because I was not feeling into it when I flipped through everything else. It's not an uncommon occurence for me. I do watch my share of comedies and dramas, reality TV when I'm in the mood, but sometimes I can do without. I love history, I have a BA in it, but what I'm doing now is not related to history. I was wondering if anybody else felt the same about TV?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 9:30 am

Djn wrote:
I don't know about other aspies, but a lot of times I flip through the channels and I end up watching documentaries on Public Broadcasting or on the History Channel rather than watch the droves of other stuff on TV. Am I alone in this? Thursday is a popular night for TV in the US, but I watched a PBS documentary on the Chinese Teracotta warriors because I was not feeling into it when I flipped through everything else. It's not an uncommon occurence for me. I do watch my share of comedies and dramas, reality TV when I'm in the mood, but sometimes I can do without. I love history, I have a BA in it, but what I'm doing now is not related to history. I was wondering if anybody else felt the same about TV?

History Channel, Military Channel, Science Channel, Green-World Channel, Biography Channel.

Every so often Sci-Fi Channel.

I do not watch any network sponsored sit coms and police series.

ruveyn

Djn

07 May 2011, 11:17 am

I understand Ruevyn. I could add that I will watch Ghost Hunters on the Sci-Fi channel and then of course there is the Discovery channel and TLC. Though sometimes latter two can be just as bad lately as everything else on TV. Usually like Sundays are still good for those channels. I do watch Apprentice. I think, in spite of the absurdity of Donald Trump's behavior outside the program, I find I can relate to a show that focuses on work place relationships. When the same thing is done on a desert island I'm not interested, must be that The Apprentice more directly focused on an environment I can relate to.

Mark 8:36

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2011, 12:56 pm

I watch nothing but the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, and History Channel. I used to watch family sitcoms as a kid back in the 80s and early 90s but haven't watched any mainstream network programming (I don't like these reality shows and newer sitcoms) since around 2000). The only main network shows that I can tolerate are "The Big Bang Theory" and "Outsourced"

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:24 pm

I mainly watch films, sci fi programmes, and documentaries. I really dislike most comedy series. Although I did enjoy Black Books and Spaced. I love watching natural history, astronomy, history and earth sciences documentaries.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 4:58 pm

I like watching documentaries, too. It's not the only thing I watch on television, though. Most of the documentaries I watch are on a historical, scientific, or cultural topic.

christian77
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 May 2011, 5:50 pm

Yes, me too. When I was a child I enjoyed watching movies and the like. Later when I went through school I learned to "read between the lines". Now when I watch something all I see is obvious patterns and plots and it is not at all entertaining. Of course the good guys win, the bad guys loose, before the final scenes the super hero has some sudden weakness and so on.

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 6:19 pm

I don't really watch TV either. If I like a TV show, I usually end up buying the boxset if it's selling cheap on Amazon.

I love documentaries. Especially all David Attenborough ones and World at War. Cosmos is good too :)