TLC Great Books: HG Wells' War of the Worlds

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 10:34 am

There was a series on TLC (The Learning Channel) about some of what some consider to be the best books.

There was one that I particularly liked; that was the War of the Worlds. It was narrated by Donald Sutherland - he was reading passages from the book while a CG martian war machine was walking around London.

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get it or if it's on the internet, point me in that direction.

Thanks

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 2:23 pm

I found this on the internet archive. I love the momentum of this story. I couldn't get into Harry Potter but after reading the Invisible Man years ago, I thought I would give this a try. I finished it in a few days and it is an awesome story for something written before WWI.

War of the Worlds - text

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 3:14 pm

I read a 200p long illustrated and adapted version of war of the worlds as a kid. It still counts among one of my favorite books of all time.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2011, 9:57 pm

I'm actually just looking for the video of the show.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 8:12 am

I remember reading this book as a youngster. It should still be in print.

hill-o-beans
Toucan
Toucan

17 Apr 2011, 2:48 pm

Just saw the Spielberg version for the first time, I loved seeing the aliens kill people, it was sad at the end when the aliens died though.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 11:02 pm

Imho the 1938 Orson Welles' Radio adaptation of War of the Worlds is the best, just for the public reaction to it alone!!
Not many drama's theses days make the public think that its a real life event.