Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 1:23 pm

A lot of times, if the critics give a film a really bad review, I like the film and if the critics give a film really good reviews, I don't like film. For example, I didn't like "As Good as it Gets" at all and the critics gave that film excellent reviews. Same with "The Kids Are All Right", great reviews, but I didn't really think it was that great of film. I like "Judy Moody and the Not So Bummer Summer" and the critics didn't like that movie at all.

There are a few movies that the critics gave good reviews to that I have liked. "Toy Story 3" for example, I agreed with the critics on that one. Also, I didn't really like "Gulliver's Travels" very much and the critics didn't like it much either. However, I would say that liking a film that the critics liked happens more than not liking a film that the critics liked.

If a film looks interesting, I will go without reading the reviews at all. If it looks like it could be interesting, but I'm not really sure, I will read the reviews and what the general population has said about the film. If a film doesn't like interesting, I won't go.

What films have you had different opinions than the critics on?

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 1:30 pm

I don’t always agree with critics, but it’s rare for me to like a movie that has a very low rating on Rotten Tomatoes, or vice versa. I may think The Dark Knight is the most hilariously overrated film of all time, but I won’t say it’s a bad movie. I guess you could say I mostly agree with critics in a very general sense. We won’t agree on how good or how bad a movie is, but we’ll agree it’s good, bad, or mediocre. But there are always exceptions, and sometimes a movie comes along that I think is a giant pile of monkey crap, and I’m baffled at the positive reviews it gets (Transformers). And there are plenty of “classics” that I think are pretty miserable films (1931 Dracula) that pretty much all critics trip over themselves to praise.

MyriaJean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2011, 10:30 am

I don't read reviews. My partner will decide whether or not to go to a movie based on the reviews, and it drives me nuts. I like what I like - I don't need people to tell me what to like.
This isn't meant to sound rude, by the way - I know people have different decision-making processes. It's just my personal pet peeve when it comes to my family :) And yeah, I often disagree with the critics.

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2011, 10:59 am

Green hornet didn't get good ratings, but me and my friend laughed so much in the cinema we were crying, so it's a very laughable movie ;)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 12:03 pm

I've found the critics to be woefully inaccurate. If they all hate a movie, or all like a movie is meaningless. The Missus wanted to see "Super 8" and I had my teeth gritted. But it was pretty good, not great, but throughly watchable. I'm a big fan of Kubrick and it's laughable to look at the reviews of his films when they came out. Now his films are considered classics, but check out Siskel and Ebert giving thumbs down to "Full Metal Jacket."

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 6:48 pm

I find this with sequels, often the critics will give a sequel low or average ratings when the original movie got really good ratings. A lot of times, I like the sequel better, but the critics disagree.

My favourite Shrek film is Shrek 3 (it gets about an 8.5/10), my second favourite is the first Shrek, which gets an 8/10, my third favourite is the second film which gets a 7 out of ten, and my least favourite is the 4th film which gets a 6.5/10.

Let's see how to the critics rated them.

SHREK 1: 7.7/10 on average (I thought it was slightly better)

SHREK 2: 7.5/10 o average (I thought it was slightly worse)

SHREK 3: 5.8 (I thought it was much better)

SHREK 4: 5.9 (I thought it a bit better)

See? They thought that the worst film, was the one that I thought was the best.

Now, let's look at Pixar movies. I think most Pixars movies are good. There is only one I have actually disliked and they have 12 movies out.

MY ORDER IS.............:

1. Toy Story 3 (9.2/10)

2. Toy Story 2 (8.8/10)

3. Finding Nemo (8.5/10)

4. Monsters Inc (8.3/10)

5. UP (8/10/10)

6. The Incredibles (7.8/10)

7. Toy Story (7.5/10)

8. Cars 2 (7.2/10)

9. Cars (7/10)

10. A Bug's Life (6.7/10)

11. Ratatouille (6/10)

12. Wall-E (4.6/10)

Most of the Critics really liked Wall-E and didn't like Cars 2 very much, I disagree.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 11:07 pm

Sure I disagree with the critics sometimes, which I suppose is fitting since I am one myself in a way. I try to look at the critic reviews as a guide regarding what's worth spending my money on. In-theater films ($7 a pop plus concessions) are the only ones I really give the critics some attention on, but I remain objective and realize what's one man's trash is another man's treasure. Since I pay flat rates for Netflix and my satellite movie channels, I tend to be more lax regarding what the critics' take was.

munch15a
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2012, 1:13 am

Yes I did may oppion they have no more right to say what’s good then anyone else and I agree with them as much as I would agree with and random on the street.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 9:13 am

I always disagree with the critics. I also try not to read what the critcis have to say about the movie before I watch it. My uncle on the other hand always reads what the critics have to say about the movie and he usually always agrees with them. We have totally different tastes though.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 11:45 am

Often. That the concept of "oscar bait" even exists reflects what might be termed a "critical systems failure".

Off the top of my head:
-Casablanca (not bad, but NOT "the greatest movie of all time")
-Black Swan
-There Will be Blood
-Titanic

But like Calculon on Futurama, I respect the actors too much to beat them to death with their own Oscars, so I settle for ignoring the critics.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 1:25 pm

I disagree with the critics a lot more often than I agree with them. Most critics (and quite a few fellow Tim Burton fans) gave bad reviews to Alice in Wonderland, but I absolutely love it, to the point that it was my primary special interest the year it came out. I still consider Alice and the Mad Hatter to be two of my all-time favorite movie characters. Speaking of Johnny Depp, I think Secret Window is an awesome movie - possibly my favorite that he has done without Tim Burton's involvement - but it only has a rating of 46% on Rotten Tomatoes.

But possibly the biggest example of me disagreeing with the critics is my opinion regarding Albert Nobbs, I thought that Albert Nobbs was nothing short of a masterpiece - the characterization, the plot and especially the acting were top-notch. But the critics hated it; thought it was pointless and drab. It was like we saw two different movies or something. :?

Aspie_SE10
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2012, 1:39 pm

I'm a keen believer that critics are generally in a type of self-congratulatory circle-jerk.

(apologies if that image represents TMI).

My belief is that I'll go see what I like - not what a critic tells me to like.

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 2:23 pm

Aspie_SE10 wrote:
I'm a keen believer that critics are generally in a type of self-congratulatory circle-jerk.

:lol:

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 9:22 pm

I often like to agree to disagree with critics. Not all of them and not all the time, but I don't listen to one particular critic and take his/her word as fact. That's why I like scanning sites like Rotten Tomatoes so I can see both the general critic and audience opinion on a film, kind of like a electoral and popular vote in a political election.

But with that said, while I still prefer to see good films, I always leave a few spots open on my DVR and my Netflix queue for bad movies. They're great to watch after a bad day at work and you're not in the mood to watch a critical classic for the first time. I'll watch bad movies, but I usually won't buy them or go to see them in theaters. You know, when I have to pay money for it. :)

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 11:28 pm

I never agree with them

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 8:10 am

I found the critics a little stuck up with avatar, they turned their nose up at the unoriginal story. I think they delivered that story rather well.