Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2011, 7:31 am

I am a huge scifi fan. Bab5, SG-1, SGA, startrek TNG, voyager, DS9 etc. I love scifi movies, matrix, thirteenth floor, short circuit. But yeah I don't like Doctor Who. It doesn't meet my requirements for SciFi. I was talking about this with my brother and he said a quote which had been going around in my head "any technology sufficiently advanced will appear as magic" and I thought, THATS IT! I don't like Dr Who because it's more like magic/fantasy than Scifi. It could also be that in most Scifi shows have a much bigger cast so you are a lot more likely to relate to one of them. Can anybody out there explain why a Sci-Fi buff would hate doctor who?

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 7:57 am

Well, that whole soft science fiction thing could explain it, but personally, Stargate is probably as soft.

Maybe it is because it is British. Just about every show you mentioned is from America, either the US or Canada.

Tell me, have you actually watched any of the classic series, or is your beef with the new series?

On sabbatical...

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2011, 8:13 am

Quatermass wrote:
Well, that whole soft science fiction thing could explain it, but personally, Stargate is probably as soft.

Maybe it is because it is British. Just about every show you mentioned is from America, either the US or Canada.

Tell me, have you actually watched any of the classic series, or is your beef with the new series?

um, yeah i actually watched the very first two series of Dr Who and I liked them better than the newest ones (maybe i was only interested in it because it was so old though). obviously i like Red Dwarf, and I LOVE a LOT of english comedy. Patrick Stewart is english and I love next gen (if that counts for anything). Also can I just ask, how the hell did battle star galactica go for 4 seasons. Who was still watching it after season 2? rubbish show.

i think the scifi tv shows that really made me sit up and go "wow, i want more" are bab5, voyager, stargate atlantis. in bab5 i loved jicar and lando, in voyager i loved the dr, and seven, and in atlantis i loved McKay and Shepard.

I just realised those characters might reflect the inner turmoil of my own aspie brain trying to be normal.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 8:49 am

The later Who stuff is pure s**t. That might be why.

The Chris Eccleston stuff was watchable sci-fi fluff, but then... ugh.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 6:18 pm

Moog wrote:
The later Who stuff is pure sh**. That might be why.

The Chris Eccleston stuff was watchable sci-fi fluff, but then... ugh.

Uh, excuse me? I can name a number of stories later than the Eccleston stories that are great. :roll:

On sabbatical...

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 6:24 pm

I never liked it. I've been told that doing this helps you to like it:

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 7:54 pm

Knifey wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

um, yeah i actually watched the very first two series of Dr Who and I liked them better than the newest ones (maybe i was only interested in it because it was so old though). obviously i like Red Dwarf, and I LOVE a LOT of english comedy. Patrick Stewart is english and I love next gen (if that counts for anything). Also can I just ask, how the hell did battle star galactica go for 4 seasons. Who was still watching it after season 2? rubbish show.

i think the scifi tv shows that really made me sit up and go "wow, i want more" are bab5, voyager, stargate atlantis. in bab5 i loved jicar and lando, in voyager i loved the dr, and seven, and in atlantis i loved McKay and Shepard.

I just realised those characters might reflect the inner turmoil of my own aspie brain trying to be normal.

I watched in vain hope...

It had its moments in season 3, but it was mostly like watching a beloved friend die of alzheimer's.

I've never been a big fan of Dr. Who. I think it has to do with the limited number of regular characters. If you don't relate to the characters there's little reason to watch.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2011, 9:27 pm

Doctor Who is really campy and it's much more comedy than SciFi. In fact, I don't really view it as SciFi at all, more Fantasy I guess. I've been watching it since I was maybe 7 years old (early 80's), so I have a lot of loyalty to the show. I'm so-so on Matt Smith's Doctor but that might just be reflexively giving the new guy a hard time. I have yet to decide.

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2011, 1:33 am

cozysweater wrote:
Doctor Who is really campy and it's much more comedy than SciFi. In fact, I don't really view it as SciFi at all, more Fantasy I guess. I've been watching it since I was maybe 7 years old (early 80's), so I have a lot of loyalty to the show. I'm so-so on Matt Smith's Doctor but that might just be reflexively giving the new guy a hard time. I have yet to decide.

yeah like the plot of most of the episodes are about weird aliens that do such and such. you could take those aliens out of dr who and put them in lord of the rings and it wouldn't be out of place. so doesn't that mean it's more fantasy than scifi? was that farscapes problem as well?

JohnOldman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2011, 9:34 pm

Doctor Who is good. Up until the point where the Daleks start saying "EXTERMINATE, EXTERMINATE" over and over. So that actually eliminates a major portion of the modern show. :) :(

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2011, 6:44 am

The shows you like are a bit more dark? more serious? The new doctor is more about a man running from his past. the first seasons were good(yes I also watch the older ones) but this 6th might have done me in.

Knifey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2011, 7:48 am

mesona wrote:
The shows you like are a bit more dark? more serious? The new doctor is more about a man running from his past. the first seasons were good(yes I also watch the older ones) but this 6th might have done me in.
I think i just dislike the single character show. I like torchwood a lot better.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2011, 9:55 am

yeah, everyone i work with is a fan, but i tried several times & it left me cold.
it's not funny enough to be a real comedy, you can't take it at face value as scifi or laugh at its tackiness/cheapness per se; & even its Britishness (i love "Absolutely Fabulous" & "Monty Python") doesn't work. it's just sort of tepid & tedious with occasionally a spark, & never seems to go anywhere in particular.
i think it may have something to do with a quality i am calling "inbetweenness" & which has points of its own (in other artforms i appreciate it).
perhaps for television i am just more exacting... it's such a huge waste of time i want it to be really good.

reasoning." --William Blake

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2011, 9:19 am

I haven't watch Dr Who for many years.

It used to be brilliant but has sunk from the thinking kid's idea of a TV program to utter moron fodder.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 9:16 am

Can't understand why anyone wouldn't love it. I totally adore it. I think its really funny and I like how complicated it gets. Dr Who, Torchwood, Sherlock and Breaking Bad - its all I've found to like on TV. I find them compelling, engaging and most of all funny.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2012, 9:35 am

I like the new series, but know lots of old school Who fans who don't.