Page 3 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next

Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Nov 2011, 7:05 am

George McFly from Back to the Future (though his son Marty does protect him from Biff). My favorite moment was when he punched Biff to save Lorraine (future wife) from being raped.

He was a geek who loved Sci fi and was generally a good guy.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 8:18 pm

Well, if computer games count: Alma Wade from F.E.A.R., and Lt. Stokes from F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin. Maybe Becket, from Project Origin, too.

Alma: As a psychic, she was treated as an anomaly and a science experiment from a very early age, in a program headed by her own father. When her powers became too dangerous, she was put in stasis from the time she was eight to the time she was twenty six, only being removed from stasis to give birth to two sons, at the age of fourteen and sixteen, respectively; and only to have them immediately taken away from her to be raised as psychic soldiers. Finally, after a synchronicity event with her younger son that resulted in the brutal killings of a number of security personnel and scientists, her father pulled the plug on her in stasis, and it took six days for her to die in there, alone.

Lt. Stokes: She isn't even technically a part of Dark Signal, and has no psychic abilities what-so-ever, but ends up being dragged into the Project Origin investigation anyway, and suffering greatly for it at the end. In the psychic amplification chamber, she's confronted by Genevieve Aristide, who proceeds to shoot her point-blank in the stomach, despite the fact that she wasn't explicitly posing any great threat to her, and leaves Stokes to bleed out on the floor right in front of Becket while he can't do anything to help her.

Becket: Although in the grand scheme of things, he really only seemed like some random doofus (or, Delta Force grunt, if you want to be specific) who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, I do kind of feel sorry for him, in a way. I mean, he did get raped by a ghost (read that again if you have to; yes, I'm serious, that's what happened) and then later possessed by the ghost of a homicidal, misanthropic, cannibalistic psychic and then exploded from the inside out.

Last edited by Zokk on 23 Nov 2011, 5:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 11:01 am

Anakin Skywalker from the Star Wars prequels: Maybe this is undeserved seeing how everyone else regards him as an obnoxious and immature brat, but I've always felt a strange sympathy for him while seeing the prequels. Sure, he had his character flaws, but I for one thought it was uniquely tragic how his love for Padme was one of the factors (albeit not the only one) that turned him to the Dark Side.

King Kong: He is the last of his kind on an island full of dinosaurs that want to eat him, and the moment he meets a creature who shows any empathy for his condition, he is taken far from his home, exploited for entertainment, and killed.

The Hyenas from The Lion King: You'd be pissed off too if you were confined to a barren and geothermically unstable wasteland with no food save for the odd dead elephant, and yet the movie wants you to think that the hyenas being allowed into the Pridelands was a bad thing. If the lions and hyenas acted more like real animals, I wouldn't mind this so much, as lions and hyenas are enemies in real life, but the animal characters are so anthropomorphized that you'd expect them to rise above this quasi-racism.

BigBadBrad
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2011, 12:31 am

Did I miss it or has no one said Eeyore? I always got sad reading or hearing or watching Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

rocklobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2011, 9:57 am

Lain from Serial Experiments Lain (Because she basically erases herself from existence)
Reki from Haibane Renmei (an angel who believes that she isn't forgiven and isolates herself. How can you not feel sorry for this character?)
Vash from Trigun (All the dude wants is friends and donuts, but no, everyone wants to get that bounty!)
Chi from Chobits (poor girl can't even feel love because if she does, every persocomm shuts down)
Rosette from Chrono Crusade (she lives on borrowed time--literally. Her contract with Chrono means every time he tries to protect her by going demon mode, it shortens her life span. And yet she's doing it all to save her brother from the devil, literally)
Superboy--he wants to be his own hero w/o being in Superman's shadow
Raven--her dad's a demon and wants to make her evil. Sheesh

Soul
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Nov 2011, 11:01 am

rocklobster wrote:
Chi from Chobits (poor girl can't even feel love because if she does, every persocomm shuts down)

I think Chi is ok now. The reason why she was shutting down other Persocomm was because Hideki was not sure of her love for her. Once he resolves what is really in his heart she releases the control she had over other persocoms. So CHi can love now that she has found the one and he has responded with love back to her. BTW all that is in the manga, and the only thing that I can see she could be sad about is not being able to have intercourse with Hideki since her on/off switch has been placed in that place. Maybe the one too be a bit sad would be Hideki.

Almighty_CRJ
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Nov 2011, 5:18 pm

The Doctor of Doctor Who fame. It's rarely actuality his fault
I mean:
You accidentally strand a young lady in another dimension, not your fault.
Your mortal enemy tortures a young ladies family, technically not your fault.
Your time machine goes funny & you leave someone behind for nearly 15 years (even though you saw them 3 minutes ago) Twice. Not your fault.

rocklobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2011, 6:34 pm

Almighty_CRJ wrote:
The Doctor of Doctor Who fame. It's rarely actuality his fault
I mean:
You accidentally strand a young lady in another dimension, not your fault.
Your mortal enemy tortures a young ladies family, technically not your fault.
Your time machine goes funny & you leave someone behind for nearly 15 years (even though you saw them 3 minutes ago) Twice. Not your fault.

And let's not even bring up how long it's been since we last saw poor Susan.

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2011, 9:43 pm

Permafrost aka Maurine Connor in Static Shock. In case you don't know: Static Shock is a cartoon series about a superhero with a power to manipulate electricity. He is also a part of the DC universe.

In this one episode, it shows Permafrost as a small homeless girl who lost her mother at a young age and was abandoned by her step-father. She was supposed to be taken into child services but she escaped and ended up living on the streets. Because she is homeless, she lived in an abandoned repair depot along with the other homeless people and walks around begging people to give her some change. She also had a superpower to create ice and snow and that caused her to become alienated to everyone around her. With no friends and no solution to her problem, she eventually finds static and He resolves the problem by sending her to church with a homeless program. Although she was fiction, I did felt really sorry for the character that her past was a tragic one and it continued to her present state.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:16 am

Titangeek wrote:
Reginald "Broccoli" Barclay from Star Trek: The Next Generation, poor nerves dude.

Seconded. I always felt he needed a friend--and wished I could have been that friend (aside from Geordi, of course).

I LOVED that he was the one to bring the U.S.S. VOYAGER back home. :cheers: He changed a lot--for the better--over the course of the two series.

9512 wrote:
George McFly from Back to the Future (though his son Marty does protect him from Biff). My favorite moment was when he punched Biff to save Lorraine (future wife) from being raped.

He was a geek who loved Sci fi and was generally a good guy.

Yep. If I had known someone like that, I would have wanted to go out with him. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

rocklobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2011, 7:37 am

How about any Dickens character? Seriously, the guy loved to torture his protaganists.
And the villain I really feel sorry for? Mr. Freeze.

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 10:25 am

Everyone in Reqiuem for a Dream. Especially the girl.

BigBadBrad
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2011, 12:54 pm

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
Everyone in Reqiuem for a Dream. Especially the girl.

feel good movie of the year...

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2011, 5:15 pm

Since it is time for the holidays, I like to watch the Christmas cartoons every year. One cartoon that always drove me bananas is the Rankin-Bass special, Jack Frost (1979) where Jack frost wanted to become human to marry the girl of his dreams. Father Winter made him human for a amount of time to build up a nest egg so he can have his wish. Despite being clumsy and geeky, he did in the end but he was foiled when this good looking jock of a knight shows up to take his love away from him. I always felt sorry for Jack never getting his wish. I always wished that somebody like Caine from "Kung Fu" would show up and teach him how to fight as to even up the odds so to speak. B-) I like the show but in the end, I always felt bummed out the little guy.

SeleniumTrace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2011, 10:10 am

Victor Fries. I don't consider him to be a villain but instead an anti-hero. He tries to save his wife Nora and does anything he can to help her. That right there says a lot about his character.

rocklobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2011, 7:44 am

Every girl in Gunslinger Girl. But especially Henrietta and Triele. Henrietta because she's so pretty and frail-looking. (not to mention SPOILER: She can't even have children. In episode three, we're told her uterus was removed as part of her operation) And Triele because a girl this cute shouldn't be trained to kill. Yeah, Gunslinger Girl is not a happy show. At all. :cry: