Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

billypony
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2011, 9:19 pm

Does anyone know how you would begin to get into the film industry? I would LOVE to make a film. I've tried writing to people, film companies etc. tried local drama groups, they didn't want to know, I doubt I'd make a very convincing actor even if I wasn't so nervous. I'd make short films but I am so unimaginative I wouldn't know what to make them about. :( I'd do anything just to watch a film being made. I'd make cups of tea or sweep up or anything. Actors always go on about how boring it is, but I find it fascinating! I'd love to do special effects, or make up or produce or edit or direct or costume design or continuity or camera or sound, I want to do it all! I keep thinking low budget films are made all the time, they must need people to do boring jobs, where are they all hiding!?

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2011, 9:56 pm

well i've been in a couple hollywood films.
but if it's special effects or makeup you really want....you might want to look into your local college. they usually have courses for that...in filmaking and what not. I know the college near me has it. there's always requests from local film students needing cast and crew for the film they are making for their final. hope that helps.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

willa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 3:14 pm

Like Sim said, the best route is through film school.

Where do you live? You can also check on the local scenes. Find the small theatres premiering the short films and local made stuff. Here in chicago right now there are tons of posters up advertising local horror short film contests and things like that. I would bet a lot of those people would love someone willing to volunteer their time helping out.

I also have a friend in New York, on long island, who does special effects make-up as a hobby for some friends who do independent stuff based in that area. She just posted a few weeks ago that she was looking for someone who could spend some free time scouting locations and getting permission to shoot for an upcoming project in that area. So find out the local people who do them, if they have any sense at all they have facebook fan pages, like them and I would imagine it's a good way to keep in touch and may even find them posting something like "hey, we need some extras today, come on out!"

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 5:17 pm

I've seen one movie being made and it truly is like watching paint dry. That's probably because the scenes filmed out in public places aren't the dramatic close-ups, but the action stuff. They film the same thing over and over, and you can't tell when they're filming and when they're rehearsing. You look away for a moment and then everybody is fiddling with the lights and the cables and sets. Not as much fun as you might imagine.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 8:57 am

I've a tendency to still wear a lot of my X-Files shirts, and don't live too far from LA, so over the years I've had a few people from the industry strike up conversation while out in public. They've always told me it's not what you know it's who you know. They told me not to waste my time on schooling, you'll find thats common. My friend became a prop/set man without schooling. He just went to sets to watch, struck up conversation and showed them his art (he's brilliant anyway) he later worked movie/tv sets for 13 years before the work became too hard to come by and he needed a more secure job. It's funny because I've known him since he was four but lost touch with him for many years up until two months ago. He misses the work, but realistically now is not the time to go looking for it in hollywood. Even acting jobs are getting filled by the 'who you know' bases. I DVR a lot of the shows I watch.. just skimming I noticed this one woman is the spokesperson for 9 different products! Hello! Are there any other actresses out there? How fair is that?

willa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 1:26 pm

Ya, there is a bit of a difference between 'getting discovered' in hollywood and just getting into films. Hollywood's obviously all about who you know (and obviously what you look like if it's front of camera you're interested in).
But to just have fun making movies film schools are gonna be the best for getting into the social circles of people doing things in your area.

Billy - have you tried looking anything up? Thread got me kind of interested and I googled stuff and found a bunch of local groups in my area for things like screening movies and local film festivals with a few centralized sites that keep track of all the local news.
You're sure to find stuff where you're at, probably not a ton if you're not in a major metro area but that could be good cause it'll be easier to 'infiltrate' a smaller community, for lack of a better word =P

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 5:36 pm

You can always try your hand at writing a script. Of course, you have to write like a 12 year old filthy mouthed boy, but if you can pull that off, you could be shaking hands with a real live producer.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 8:06 pm

Start when you're old enough to hit your mark, say your line, and make it seem natural. Take lessons in acting, music, voice, fencing, small arms, archery, dancing, horsemanship, boxing, soccer, baseball, basketball, martial arts, and at least one foreign language.

Stay fit, stay healthy, stay in school, stay out of jail, and stay away from drugs and alcohol.

Develop a "thick skin" when it comes to rejection and criticism, and wear sunscreen.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.