Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2011, 5:19 am

WTF is the point! It's nothing new the technology has been around since the 1980s! And now they have 3d tv's? Come on people! They are only trying to milk your cash with this crappy gimmick! i can't believe the world is full of sheep! Lion king 3d?? WTF?? Now get this disney are planning to re-release THE little mermaid!! ! in 3d!! ! please make it stop! i like the little mermaid when it was release in 1989 i just hate 3d movies!!

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 8:25 am

3D's been around since the 80's, huh?

there's research for ya.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2011, 9:48 am

3D cinema has been around in some shape and form since the 1890s.

It seems to become popular every 30 years or so (1950s, 1970/80s, 2000/10s) and then goes onto the back burner for a while.

(the wikipedia article seems to be decent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Cinema )

I suspect that with the move to digital projection, most (mainstream) cinemas will have some screens equipped to show 3d if desired. The number of 3d films made will depend on how willing audiences are to pay the surcharge for 3d showings. They may become more selective about what films they wish to see in 3d (the films that look like they are best watched in 3d are the ones that I would not want to watch in the first place). 3d won't add anything to a lot of titles (watching on an iphone does not diminish the enjoyment of a lot of films).

As for home TV 3d, I suspect there will be very limited content that people will watch in 3d (unless glasses are not required). Since TV is often on in the background a 2d image is not required.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 10:04 am

I hate 3D because it is such a gimmick. Recently loads of films have been made which seem to be one 3D scene after another rather than an actual storyline and people are raving about them! I don't get it! Also am I the only person who NEVER jumps when something moves towards the screen fast?

The 3DS is going to fail. 3D TVs will last a few more months. Eventually people will get sick of wearing the glasses and others are literally getting sick looking at 3D!

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 11:46 am

I hate it too. I get so distracted I have trouble following the plot.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 1:08 pm

I will NOT pay an extra $4 just for the 3D glasses.

Come on now Hollywood, give us a break!

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2011, 1:58 pm

3D movies hurt me eyes. :(

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2011, 5:26 pm

xmh wrote:
3D cinema has been around in some shape and form since the 1890s.

It seems to become popular every 30 years or so (1950s, 1970/80s, 2000/10s) and then goes onto the back burner for a while.

(the wikipedia article seems to be decent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Cinema )

I suspect that with the move to digital projection, most (mainstream) cinemas will have some screens equipped to show 3d if desired. The number of 3d films made will depend on how willing audiences are to pay the surcharge for 3d showings. They may become more selective about what films they wish to see in 3d (the films that look like they are best watched in 3d are the ones that I would not want to watch in the first place). 3d won't add anything to a lot of titles (watching on an iphone does not diminish the enjoyment of a lot of films).

As for home TV 3d, I suspect there will be very limited content that people will watch in 3d (unless glasses are not required). Since TV is often on in the background a 2d image is not required.

I second too this!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 6:49 pm

Although I admit that I went to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D last year, I must say that it wasn't much better than watching it at home in 2D. That could possibly be due to the fact that 3D glasses don't work well with me because one of my eyes has much worse vision than the other, or the fact that the 3D was tacked on as an afterthought rather than incorporated into the filmmaking itself (which makes a huge difference in 3D viewing).

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2011, 6:57 pm

I don't mind 3d if it's done well, like in movies or games that were made for it from the ground up like "How to Train Your Dragon" or "Avatar." It doesn't seem to work as well in live action movies. Still, I can only take a couple hours of it at a time and I don't think I could do that every day.

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2011, 11:23 pm

Jellybean wrote:
I hate 3D because it is such a gimmick. Recently loads of films have been made which seem to be one 3D scene after another rather than an actual storyline and people are raving about them! I don't get it! Also am I the only person who NEVER jumps when something moves towards the screen fast?

The 3DS is going to fail. 3D TVs will last a few more months. Eventually people will get sick of wearing the glasses and others are literally getting sick looking at 3D!

Yeah, I think it is a gimmick too. I remember when they tried 3D TV back about 1981/82, WPXI here in Pittsburgh aired them Friday nights during the summer IIRC. It was based on the old red/blue glasses system and us kids used to watch them. It worked fairly well but nothing to write home, about. The movies were "Creature from the Black Lagoon," "King Kong," "Mighty Joe Young," and so on. I remember there were times you had to tweak the color and hue controls to the set to make it work although I had to touch up the convergence (aligning the red. blue and green electron guns for a sharp picture) a bit too, the color set I had was a 1971 Zenith (I still have it). Still I was 15/16 at the time and it was a nice way for us guys to chill on a Friday, load up on Kool-Aid and popcorn and enjoy.

3D TV now? Well, we replaced the old Zenith with a new 1982 model which is still in use today. I'd love to see how that 3d system would have worked with that one since I did not have to worry about adjusting the convergence. I don't plan to upgrade, the set I have is still good enough for me and I won't bite on the 3D gimmick until they have holograms, I really don't like to wear 3D glasses since I need regular glasses for being terminally nearsighted. Anyways, my father is blind in one eye so there are people like him who cannot enjoy 3D.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 11:24 pm

3D MOVIES SUCK :twisted:

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

17 Oct 2011, 3:33 am

Joker wrote:
3D MOVIES SUCK :twisted:

i agree

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 8:27 am

i was disappointed with all the new 3D stuff. i remember seeing some stuff at the london IMAX years back in 3D and it was so much better...things literally looked like they were right in front of you and floating round the room. all the 3D films i've seen recently have looked more like wobbly 2D movies than what i'd consider 3D

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 12:13 pm

I don't really care about the new 3d. I've seen one new 3d movie and it mostly just adds a bit of depth to the picture.

With the old 3d like when I went to Disney World when I was younger it looked like stuff came out of the screen and was right in front of you.

Darialan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2011, 4:08 pm

Well about the 3DS. Some games are great in 3d, but most of those stupid videos they keep showing on the video channel they have like what the Blue Man Group ones. They're not all that impressive at all. They don't immerse you in the video.

I hear that 3d converted movies aren't great to look at and imagine cell drawn like animation wouldn't be either. 3D CG made graphics, sure that can work if it's done right. Very few movies are impressive in 3D, though I've only seen 2. I saw Avatar. Now that was an amazing look at what a 3D movie should be!! !! Period! I saw Saw 3D....Wish they'd have had it in our theater as a 2D film. The 3D was just a stupid excuse to milk the audience for all it's not worth. Most of the movie was pretty flat anyways, except for the traps. I do have Coraline and My Bloody Valentine with the 2 color glasses. Coraline is so-so in 3d, but My Bloody Valentine was actually kinda cool in 3D. Kinda gimmicky in throwing things at you, but still it was cool to see it like that just once. I really don't see the point in buying a 3D tv. Video games are probably great that way, just like some 3DS games, but really as far as movies, it's kinda blah and pointless. 3D is only good when it's used effectively like Avatar and very few if any do it as good as that.