Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

nilescrane
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 3:53 am

Anyone ever see China Syndrome with Jack Lemmon, Jane Fonda, and a young Michael Douglas? Just saw it today for the first time, it was really good. My dad works at a power plant too and said it can be like that at times.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 4:45 am

Yes, I have seen this movie several times, and I like it too. I believe the first time I saw it was in the theater, then several times on TV. The last time I saw it was probably a couple of years ago on a DVD I borrowed from the library.

Many people don't even know that Jack Lemmon was also a great dramatic actor, in addition to his many comedic successes. Although some of the movies he was in were lousy, he was always good even in those duds.

One of the nutty comedy ones he was in was with Walther Mathau as a hit man who was trying to get ready to make a hit from the window of his flea bag hotel. Some bigwig was going to testify against Walter's clients at the court house across the street. Unfortunately Jack checked into the room next door to commit suicide, due to the break up of his marriage. Jack was as inept at committing suicide, as he was at maintaining his marriage, and was attracting too much attention. Hit men can't work with too much attention going on where they are trying to work. Things get crazier as the movie goes on. I forget the name of it, but some day I'd like to see it again.

I also saw Jack in an old Doris Day movie once. She was a widow friend with two kids, who I think was selling lobsters or crabs to customers some distance away. The movie was funny and, at times dramatic--but get this--at the end Jack gets the girl--Doris Day. I liked this movie a lot, too. I always seem to like Jack's acting, and most of his movies.

I prefer to watch movies at home now, because of health problems which make it hard to go places. With videos and DVDs I can control the volume and the on/off. Due to IBS, I sometimes need to drop what I am doing and spend a while in the bathroom, so going out to the movies just isn't practical any more. I sometimes missed parts of movies that I paid to see because of this problem. Watching at home is better in many ways.

Enjoy the movies, and remember, we on the spectrum are all:

A Different Drummer

If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
Perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
Let him step to the music which he hears,
However measured or far away.

--Henry David Thoreau